Apple's iPhone revenue alone bigger than Microsoft, Boeing, Procter & Gamble

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    philboogie wrote: »
    And they would be right. Partially. It is definitely no good for a company to have all the eggs in one basket; they shouldn't be relying on a single product to bring in the majority of their revenue. I think that is what analysts are saying. Fortunately the iPhone 'isn't going anywhere' and will remain a profitable business for the unforeseeable future, but Apple really needs to be on top of things, and make all products profitable. Fortunately that is what they're doing, but some analysts aren't seeing this bigger picture, possibly because they're narrow-minded.

Besides, the iPod was Apple's biggest seller, and Steve rightfully said: "we're gonna kill it".

They would not be right based on the information in this article alone. For all you know, the ipad is an even bigger money generator. And the Mac makes even more money (we know both aren't true, but I am talking about the logic of your statement based solely on the information provided in this article).

Until we know how much money Apple makes in other business lines, it is impossible to call them a 1 trick pony.
  • Reply 22 of 52
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Actually, it makes Apple a one trick pony on the revenu side. A miss on an iphone refresh has the potential to trim half of the stock price because of the iphone weight on EPS. 

This is why I keep pushing for more iphone models. We will have the "low cost" next year when the 5c drop to $400-$450. But I wish Apple would make a bigger screen size option so that people wanting this dont go buy other phones.

I'm sure Tim Cook listens to your every word with baited breath. Apple got to where it is by ignoring the advice of experts. Let's hope that attitude continues indefinitely. 

• Reply 23 of 52
    matrix07 wrote: »
    Don't you know? Apple will be like Blackberry soon. /s

Whoahaha, Blackberry had been so successful like Apple? No. Blackberry was a Gadget Hype, while Apple defines new integrated standards for devices, OS, Services and Apps. BB is just a manager gadget company without deep impact.
  • Reply 24 of 52
    You are so right … I can hear it now … , "Too much reliance on one division of the company, better slash AAPL! " :no:

The BB management had never been so professional like Apple
  • Reply 25 of 52

Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!

• Reply 26 of 52
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Someone help me out here....cnet is reporting that iOS 7 is installing on people's phones without their permission. And they show a tweet from someone who claims iOS 7 installed on their phone while they were sleeping. Is this really possible? Can iOS 7 just install on someone's phone without their permission? :\
  • Reply 27 of 52
    Quote:

Actually, it makes Apple a one trick pony on the revenu side. A miss on an iphone refresh has the potential to trim half of the stock price because of the iphone weight on EPS. 

This is why I keep pushing for more iphone models. We will have the "low cost" next year when the 5c drop to $400-$450. But I wish Apple would make a bigger screen size option so that people wanting this dont go buy other phones.

How many people?

• Reply 28 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Someone help me out here....cnet is reporting that iOS 7 is installing on people's phones without their permission. And they show a tweet from someone who claims iOS 7 installed on their phone while they were sleeping. Is this really possible? Can iOS 7 just install on someone's phone without their permission? image

I didn't think that was possible; at least, it didn't happen with my iPad - I had to explicitly tell it to do so.

• Reply 29 of 52
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    philboogie wrote: »
    And they would be right. Partially. It is definitely no good for a company to have all the eggs in one basket; they shouldn't be relying on a single product to bring in the majority of their revenue.
    This is a valid concern for any company.
    I think that is what analysts are saying.
    Unfortunately I don't see that as what is happening here. I just see old fashion stock manipulation.
    Fortunately the iPhone 'isn't going anywhere' and will remain a profitable business for the unforeseeable future, but Apple really needs to be on top of things, and make all products profitable. Fortunately that is what they're doing, but some analysts aren't seeing this bigger picture, possibly because they're narrow-minded.
    Narrowed minded might be one aspect, stupidity is certainly another. However I think evil intent is the primary motivator.
    Besides, the iPod was Apple's biggest seller, and Steve rightfully said: "we're gonna kill it".

Yeah because effectively iPhone is a better device for most people, as music playback simply becomes another function. It is much harder to see how Apple will kill off the iPhone. This is why expansion into other markets is so important, they need to better balance income streams to prevent any product sales regressions in the iPhone business have a massive impact on income.

Here is the thing, at some point new stuff to put into an iPhone will dry up. If there is no new and shiny then Apple becomes open to competition. Right now Apple is effectively a technology leader with the iPhone, their position will change dramatically when they run out of new tech to put into iPhone. Thankfully there is little to indicate that Apple will have a technology problem in the next few years.
  • Reply 30 of 52

But are they bigger than Chicken Little, Inc. ?

• Reply 31 of 52
    Quote:

Would your advice to BMW, Porsche and Mercedes be that they need to come out with low cost economy models to compete with Kia and Hyundia ?   Possibly start making pickup trucks?

• Reply 32 of 52
    rogifan wrote: »
    Can iOS 7 just install on someone's phone without their permission? :\

I've been staring at that red dot on my Settings icon close to a week now coz I don't want to install it yet, so my 4 has not yet developed its own will.
  • Reply 33 of 52
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Someone help me out here....cnet is reporting that iOS 7 is installing on people's phones without their permission. And they show a tweet from someone who claims iOS 7 installed on their phone while they were sleeping. Is this really possible? Can iOS 7 just install on someone's phone without their permission? image

It is downloading onto phones automatically. It is NOT installing without permission. The gripe is that the update takes up about 1GB and the complainers what to know how to delete the download.

• Reply 34 of 52
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    we're going to get a lot of these comparisons in the next few months%u2026

The next will be Apple's iPad revenues compared to all the PC makers in the world%u2026.

It always amazes me that the Dow 'can't' put Apple into the DJIA, because it's TOO BIG. It shot past all the 'dogs' (those that typically get replaced), and now would so unbalance the Dow that it would be the "Apple Industrial Average," if you tried to replace just one company with Apple, or the resultant divisor would be so out of whack that a 1 dollar Apple up or down would make the markets crazy volatile.

It depends on what you mean by "too big". The DJIA is weighted based upon share prices, so AAPL at
    $480 would have an inordinate effect on the average, when most of the others are below $100. AAPL is not too big based upon market cap. Note that Exxon is a DJIA component and it has been higher in market cap than AAPL most of the time. If AAPL were to split its stock 5 to 1 and bring the price down to around $100, then it would not be "too big" anymore. (Not to say I think they should or that it would even make it likely for AAPL to be added to the DJIA)
  • Reply 35 of 52
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Someone help me out here....cnet is reporting that iOS 7 is installing on people's phones without their permission. And they show a tweet from someone who claims iOS 7 installed on their phone while they were sleeping. Is this really possible? Can iOS 7 just install on someone's phone without their permission? :\

It is downloading onto phones automatically. It is NOT installing without permission. The gripe is that the update takes up about 1GB and the complainers what to know how to delete the download.

It happened to my iPad3 and iPhone5 when they were plugged in to the charger. Unless there is a preference setting somewhere I don't know about, IOS seems to default to something like "download updates when not busy" for system updates. I still had to push the install button to actually install the software. That part was not automatic.
  • Reply 36 of 52
    %uD83D%uDE0A I wish I could just post a smilie, but this news does give me a warm fuzzy good feeling
    all over.
  • Reply 37 of 52
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    This is a valid concern for any company.
    Unfortunately I don't see that as what is happening here. I just see old fashion stock manipulation.
    Narrowed minded might be one aspect, stupidity is certainly another. However I think evil intent is the primary motivator.
    Yeah because effectively iPhone is a better device for most people, as music playback simply becomes another function. It is much harder to see how Apple will kill off the iPhone. This is why expansion into other markets is so important, they need to better balance income streams to prevent any product sales regressions in the iPhone business have a massive impact on income.

Here is the thing, at some point new stuff to put into an iPhone will dry up. If there is no new and shiny then Apple becomes open to competition. Right now Apple is effectively a technology leader with the iPhone, their position will change dramatically when they run out of new tech to put into iPhone. Thankfully there is little to indicate that Apple will have a technology problem in the next few years.

If you think of it as a phone, or even a computer in your pocket, you may see limits where there really shouldn't be any. If you change your thinking to see this as an all-purpose knowledge-gathering, amplifying and broadcasting device the limits fall away. This early obsession with lightweight applications like texting, talking and facebooking is just temporary.

Eventually we'll be doing live video communicating or watching from around the world, for example, or looking at live pictures of Earth from space, for another example.

Apple isn't just selling phones any more than the second generation of book publishers were just selling Bibles. They're selling digital electronic mind amplifiers. We're only at the very beginning of a new media revolution, a 500-year event. The last one was the portable book/newspaper/magazine, not from Gutenberg by the way.

Apple seems to be the only ones that get this, thanks to the likes of people like Steve Jobs and Alan Kay.
  • Reply 38 of 52
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I assumed that's the way it was but the way cnet (and others are reporting it) it makes it sound like iOS 7 is being installed without people's permission. Of course I guess I shouldn't be surprised that they'd misreport something to make Apple look bad.
  • Reply 39 of 52
    I assumed that's the way it was but the way cnet (and others are reporting it) it makes it sound like iOS 7 is being installed without people's permission. Of course I guess I shouldn't be surprised that they'd misreport something to make Apple look bad.

It must be misreporting, one needs to agree to the terms and conditions with every single update. I can not believe Apple would screw this one up by auto installing and updating. Nor bugs, like weirdo lock screen unlocking is one, but this? No
  • Reply 40 of 52

Does it show up in /settings/general/usage? If so, one can delete it, swipe to left.

I have a weird one in there, a 13GB podcast, which is most definitely not 13GB: