Apple releases iOS 7.0.2 to fix lockscreen passcode bug

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday released iOS 7.0.2, a security and maintenance update for its mobile operating system that addresses bugs related to secure lockscreen password entry.

Update

The new update fixes bugs that could allow someone to bypass the lockscreen passcode. It also reintroduces a Greek keyboard option for passcode entry, Apple said.

The update arrives less than a week after users discovered a roundabout way to utilize the new Control Center feature to bypass an iOS device's passcode lock. The exploit granted users access to Mail, Photos, Twitter and more.

Prior to Thursday's update, users could defeat the exploit by simply disabling Control Center from the lock screen. With iOS 7.0.2, that security procedure is no longer necessary.

Apple quickly confirmed last week that it had identified the flaw and was working on a fix. The bug affected both iPhone and iPad.

Though it has been available for just over a week, iOS 7 has already seen a pair of small updates to address minor issues. iOS 7.0.1 was made available to iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c owners last week to squash minor bugs found in the newly released hardware.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    Interesting that iTunes could not find the update. When I went thru Settings>General>Update my iPhone found it ASAP and am installing now.
  • Reply 2 of 51

I've had a ton of iRadio crashes running 7.0.0 and wifi issues walking between wireless base stations on a roaming network (that worked with ios 6 fine).  One can hope there are a few fixes under the hood

edit: wonder if the base station issues are related to the new multipath networking stack

• Reply 3 of 51
    Now, when will they acknowledge and fix the bug that makes my 4S drain the battery about twice as fast as it did under the previous iOS?
  • Reply 4 of 51
    Originally Posted by coxnvox View Post

Now, when will they acknowledge and fix the bug that makes my 4S drain the battery about twice as fast as it did under the previous iOS?

So you’re confident it’s a bug and not changed settings?

• Reply 5 of 51

"Now, when will they acknowledge and fix the bug that makes my 4S drain the battery about twice as fast as it did under the previous iOS?"

There are a number of things that are different in OS7 that could explain your battery issues. One is the Background App Refresh (Settings / General Background App Refresh) that has some apps turned on by default. If available on your phone then you may want to turn the animations off as well. Hope you track it down as it can be very frustrating (especially when others don't seem to have the problem).

• Reply 6 of 51
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bulk001 View Post

"Now, when will they acknowledge and fix the bug that makes my 4S drain the battery about twice as fast as it did under the previous iOS?"

There are a number of things that are different in OS7 that could explain your battery issues. One is the Background App Refresh (Settings / General Background App Refresh) that has some apps turned on by default. If available on your phone then you may want to turn the animations off as well. Hope you track it down as it can be very frustrating (especially when others don't seem to have the problem).

You can't turn off animations, just lower the parallax effect when moving the phone around.  

• Reply 7 of 51
    hydrhydr Posts: 146member
    I sure hope they also fixed SIRI through locked screen. Try "show my photos" "search for ..." "last number dialed" "send text to" etc. That should require a pin code to be entered, but it does not on IOS7.
  • Reply 8 of 51

"You can't turn off animations, just lower the parallax effect when moving the phone around."

Thanks. I should have been more precise and said "reduce motion".

• Reply 9 of 51
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hydr View Post

I sure hope they also fixed SIRI through locked screen. Try "show my photos" "search for ..." "last number dialed" "send text to" etc. That should require a pin code to be entered, but it does not on IOS7.

Personally I like it this way. I can send a text without looking and having to enter a code. But could see that it could be a privacy issue for some. 

• Reply 10 of 51
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Apple on Thursday released iOS 7.0.2, a security and maintenance update for its mobile operating system that addresses bugs related to secure lockscreen password entry..

This is one of the things that the fandroids just don't seem to get.

With iOS, when there's a security problem, we get it right away. Sure, eventually (after 3 years or so in most cases), fixes are no longer available, but until then we can count on security problems being fixed.

With Android, that's not the case. Only in rare circumstances do you get fixes for security bugs in your OS. (sure, we'll hear them whining that the OS doesn't matter and only apps matter, but even a moment's reflection shows how ridiculous that argument is).
  • Reply 12 of 51
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    coxnvox wrote: »
    That's strange, both my and my wife's 4s' work just great under iOS 7. In fact I think I might even get better battery life than I used to.
  • Reply 13 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hydr

bulk001 wrote: »
    Personally I like it this way. I can send a text without looking and having to enter a code. But could see that it could be a privacy issue for some. 

I discovered yesterday a way that makes it less of a concern with the 5s. If you have fingerprint enabled you can turn off Siri when locked.
    Since you you hold down the home button to access Siri anyway, what happens is you finger unlocks it also the same time you hold down the button.
    But others can't hold down and activate Siri.
  • Reply 14 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hydr View Post

Can't you turn that feature off? Settings>General>Passcode Lock>Siri. Or am I mis-understanding?

• Reply 15 of 51
    Quote:

Originally Posted by silversquonk View Post

Can't you turn that feature off? Settings>General>Passcode Lock>Siri. Or am I mis-understanding?

yes you can turn it off there, but I think he is saying he wants to use siri but not allow certain siri functions from the lock screen that may be considered private.  I.e. Asking for sports scores: ok, asking to show photo roll: not ok.

Just a guess.

• Reply 16 of 51
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dugbug View Post

yes you can turn it off there, but I think he is saying he wants to use siri but not allow certain siri functions from the lock screen that may be considered private.  I.e. Asking for sports scores: ok, asking to show photo roll: not ok.

Just a guess.

Ok. Looks like I <did> mis-understand then. Thanks for the guesswork!

• Reply 17 of 51

On my locked iPhone 5, I asked Siri to "show my photos" and it required a passcode.

• Reply 18 of 51
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by coxnvox View Post

You might recheck your settings. A number of things I'd turned off were turned on when I updated to 7, such as Bluetooth (which I never use).

• Reply 19 of 51
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

This is one of the things that the fandroids just don't seem to get.

With iOS, when there's a security problem, we get it right away. Sure, eventually (after 3 years or so in most cases), fixes are no longer available, but until then we can count on security problems being fixed.

Who gets to decide whether something is a "security problem" that really does need to be fixed?

• Reply 20 of 51
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dugbug View Post

Just a guess.

That may be covered under the "restrictions" set of settings.