Samsung's Galaxy Note 3 goes beyond carrier locking, implements region locks

Comments

• Reply 41 of 75
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tbruinsma View Post

This is very misleading. You should correctly state WHY the SIM cards will not work. Samsung employed two different hardware sets. One of the designs limits network compatibility.  

Please do everyone a favor and do your research. I understand trying to break something early but this does nothing more than present readers with a fact that is missing context.

This is not much different from my unlocked iPhone. It will only work with SIM cards from carriers that support the frequency bands available in the iPhone. 

***Sarcasm warning***

Why, it's a simple matter of carrying two Note's which can easily sync while bumping together in your pocket along with some spare batteries (take that Apple fans) and a collection of memory cards (ha got you Apple fans again), of course this may necessitate the comeback of cargo pants.*

*The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

Posted from my iPhone 5s which will work with any available SIM I want, anywhere I choose to take it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NotASheep View Post

More (deliberate?) misinformation and half-truths by Apple Insider.

Samsung Switzerland on their Facebook site states that:

A local region sim card is only needed for the very first activation of the phone.  From then on you can use whatever sim you want.?

Expect this post to be deleted within minutes by the censors of this site.

baaa, humbug!

• Reply 42 of 75

A local region sim card is only needed for the very first activation of the phone. From then on you can use whatever sim you want.?

So, this is not a issue at all for frequent travelers, only for those importing a Note 3 from another continent.

• Reply 44 of 75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NotASheep View Post

A local region sim card is only needed for the very first activation of the phone. From then on you can use whatever sim you want.?

So, this is not a issue at all for frequent travelers, only for those importing a Note 3 from another continent.

humbug?

https://www.facebook.com/SamsungSwitzerland

• Reply 45 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Except if you have a carrier locked iPhone 5, you would also have a carrier AND region locked Note 3.

All my iPhones have been unlocked or easily unlockable, all the way back to my first 3G in 2008.

In Australia carrier locks only apply to cheap PAYG Android junk, which make up the bulk of Android sales, and dumb phones.

• Reply 46 of 75
    Quote:

humbug?

see: https://www.facebook.com/SamsungSwitzerland

baaa, 300 million Australian sheep are screwed then, baaa.

• Reply 47 of 75

????????????

• Reply 48 of 75
    Owning a iPhone or any phone for that matter and assuming it means you have status....like being part of some wealth class, is retarded

It does however mean that you probably not technically savvy ,shallow and most likely the last time you went camping was on the side walk near an Apple store.

Thinks his cool but is seen by others as a hipster douche that takes forever to type a text message.
  • Reply 49 of 75
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

A local region sim card is only needed for the very first activation of the phone.  From then on you can use whatever sim you want.?

Then perhaps they should be more careful with their own product warning labels?

• Reply 50 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Then perhaps they should be more careful with their own product warning labels?

Yes.

Ideally, Samsung should not be doing this first-activation-locking at all, but it is by far not as bad as the "report" on this site is trying to make it look.

• Reply 51 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by petrosy View Post

Owning a iPhone or any phone for that matter and assuming it means you have status....like being part of some wealth class, is retarded

It does however mean that you probably not technically savvy ,shallow and most likely the last time you went camping was on the side walk near an Apple store.

Thinks his cool but is seen by others as a hipster douche that takes forever to type a text message.

It looks good next to one of the $6000 watches I wear on my wrist.

Do you think it's safe to wear my Breitling in the shower, it's only waterproof to 5000 feet?

• Reply 52 of 75
    I think this is less about restricting international roaming, and more about making people buy their phones from the region they intend to use them in.

If I'm interpreting this right (as someone who bought a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 from a Hong Kong seller and received a phone intended for the French market) this will cut down the ability for people to source Notes cheaper from overseas.

This is an area where Androids differ from Apple pretty significantly. Within a couple of months of release, Android handsets are generally available for about 2/3rds of the local asking price, online out of Hong Kong, and a few months after that you can get them for almost half the local price. Whereas the local asking price (in Australia) only drops once a new model is coming out.

Pity. Guess I won't be getting a Note 3 now...
  • Reply 53 of 75

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

What I don't get, is who are these frequent international travelers who need to swap out a local SIM? Frequent International travelers are usually business people. Personally, I need my business associates to be able to reach me anytime, anywhere, which means that I must maintain the original SIM even when abroad. I also carry an unlocked iPhone for use with a local carrier. If someone calls me on my US number, most of the time I don't answer it, but I know they called, so I just call them back on Skype. Obviously, I also need a local SIM to make and receive calls in the foreign country to do errands, business etc. I don't see how a business person can get around carrying two phones or perhaps a dual SIM phone of which there used to be some available from Nokia.

You can pay for a US phone number from Skype and forward your US cell phone calls to that number which in theory could allow you to receive calls on your local SIM carrier when abroad, however it doesn't work reliably and you miss a lot of calls.

I travel a lot and have 2 SIM cards (in addition to my local Canadian SIM). Roaming is stupid expensive and it pisses me off enough to go the SIM route. I have a UK SIM and when I get to the UK, I put £10 on it and I get 100 free minutes to Canada (which is a lot more reliable than Skype and iChat, which are at the whim of the network connection). It gives me cheap calls, text and internet (£1/day for internet access). Roaming is also a lot cheaper, so I use it all over Europe. I can always set my local phone to forward to the UK number, so while I still pay for long distance, I don't get dinged for the roaming air time. Compare that to $1.50+/minute and about $30/MB of data, and it saves hundreds of dollars and is more reliable than Skype. I do the same for the US with an ATT card.

If the carriers here had roaming plans that were not obscene, I would stick with them, but they are over the top with the costs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Agreed. When I travel abroad (for business or pleasure), one of the first things I do is get a local SIM card for my iPhone and iPad. The rates overseas are often better than what we get in the U.S. and I can consume all the data I need for navigating, using Yelp and other similar apps,  and checking on email. Not having the same phone number is less of an issue because with the time differences, most communication is done by email anyway. If I need to call, I can either put the original AT&T SIM card back in (and pay crazy rates), or use Skype or Vonage to call (depending on whether the carrier allows it or if I need to get WiFi).

For unlocking phones that haven't been unlocked for free through AT&T, I use chronicunlocks dot com. Usually I do it before I leave, but once I forgot and unlocked my wife's phone from Italy. We got a great plan which worked great, and we tethered her iPad mini. 

As to Samsung, what a stupid idea. The Obama administration is pushing for unlocked phones, which is one of the few ideas I support from the current administration. 

• Reply 54 of 75
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by petrosy View Post

Thank you for enlightening me!  Now I know I am a hipster douche that takes forever to type a text message... all the while I thought I was cool.

Now that I know what I am, I'd like to know a little more about you.  So could you amuse me and answer a quick question?  What would you call a person who takes the time out of his day to go on a forum to talk to people who won't even listen to said person, and ignore their opinion completely?  What would that person be called?  Pathetic?  A loser?  Nothing better to do with his time?  Worthless? A Giant Tool?

You pick.

• Reply 55 of 75
    andysol wrote: »
      Yes, because the author wouldn't be a complete idiot.

Now shoo fly, don't bother us.
    You are ignorant. What the world has come out to. Incredible.
  • Reply 56 of 75
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Lots of people don't want to travel with two phones. They give the local number to the people they are travelling to meet with. Pretty simple, really.

Simple if you don't want anyone from your home country to be able to reach you, unless you notify them about your new foreign number and make them pay international long distance to reach you. That doesn't work for busy business travelers which is what I was referring to.

• Reply 57 of 75
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cm477 View Post

Agreed. When I travel abroad (for business or pleasure), one of the first things I do is get a local SIM card for my iPhone and iPad. The rates overseas are often better than what we get in the U.S. and I can consume all the data I need for navigating, using Yelp and other similar apps,  and checking on email. Not having the same phone number is less of an issue because with the time differences, most communication is done by email anyway. If I need to call, I can either put the original AT&T SIM card back in (and pay crazy rates), or use Skype or Vonage to call (depending on whether the carrier allows it or if I need to get WiFi).

Again that only works if your clients aren't going to worry because you never answer the phone. I travel North to South so there is almost no time difference for me. I prefer that my clients receive seamless access such as they are accustomed to.

• Reply 58 of 75
    Samsung region codes its Laser printer cartridges (yes that's right) so its no surprise that they would lock phablets and soon phones. They are on my JUST SAY NO list.
  • Reply 59 of 75
    Originally Posted by planetkingdom View Post

Samsung region codes its Laser printer cartridges (yes thats right)

How can they possibly know? They’re just stupid cartridges! I wouldn’t put it past them, but how can the hardware know? This sounds like something you know from experience. :p

• Reply 60 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I do believe that you are correct. Android is for the financially disadvantaged, and for those who don't have money to fully use their devices (data etc.). Basically it's for kids, the unemployed, people on welfare and street beggars.

That's an awfully big generalization.