Apple has raised $65M for RED's fight against AIDS, leads all supporters

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
U2 frontman Bono's Product Red charity took to Twitter to announce that Apple has raised more than $65 million to benefit The Global Fund to fight AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Malaria.

Product Red Tweet

Product Red, a charity created by musical superstar Bono to raise money to benefit The Global Fund to fight AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Malaria, thanked Apple on Thursday for raising more than $65 million for the cause since the iPhone maker's introduction of (Product) RED Special Edition iPods and accessories in 2006. The announcement, first spotted by The Loop, comes in the midst of the Clinton Global Initiative's 2013 annual meeting.

Bono told the assembled crowd that "Apple is certainly leading the crew" when talking about Product Red's corporate partners. Apple donates 50 percent of the profits earned from sales of (Product) RED merchandise to the organization.

Red iPods and accessories are not Apple's only contribution to the charity. Apple Senior Vice President of Design Jony Ive recently teamed up with fellow industrial designer Marc Newson to design several one-of-a-kind products for a benefit auction, including a pair of 18-karat solid rose gold Apple EarPods and a completely custom Leica Digital Rangefinder.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    uh? what about herpes? Damn cold sores.
  • Reply 2 of 30

Way to go Apple. I am going to buy the Red iPhone case, when I get my gold iPhone 5S in 21 business days.

• Reply 3 of 30

Good for Apple! :) I had a (Product) RED iPod Mini.

Plan to get a (Product) RED case for a new gold 5s.

I think a (Product) RED 5c would be cool, too. Also, a (Product) RED iPad Mini, and, dare I say a (Product) RED MBA 11'

The finish on the iPod mini was really cool.

Best

• Reply 4 of 30

If Apple release a red iPhone and a red iPad, the number will go much higher ... :)

• Reply 5 of 30
    I opted for the Black & Slate iPad mini with the (Product) RED smart cover and I am very happy with the combination.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Originally Posted by mistervela View Post

uh? what about herpes? Damn cold sores.

SEE. NOTHING Apple does is enough. Apple’s actively working to cure AIDS and people whine they’re not curing everything else. Get over it.

Oh, and didn’t we just discover an anti fungal foot cream that kills HIV permanently?

• Reply 7 of 30
    I have the same configuratioin with my iPad mini & smart cover as iphone_ui_guy. On a side note: I wish Apple would bring back orange colored smart covers.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Good for Apple! :) I had a (Product) RED iPod Mini.

Plan to get a (Product) RED case for a new gold 5s.

I think a (Product) RED 5c would be cool, too. Also, a (Product) RED iPad Mini, and, dare I say a (Product) RED MBA 11'

The finish on the iPod mini was really cool.

Best

Already got one on my silver 5s:-

I buy most of the product Red products, including Shazam and a few christmas albums from iTunes.

It's an easy way to help out.

• Reply 9 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Already got one on my silver 5s:-

I buy most of the product Red products, including Shazam and a few christmas albums from iTunes.

It's an easy way to help out.

Good show, Hill! Looks great! :)

• Reply 10 of 30
    I have a cure for AIDS that is free but no one wants to listen. I am a Christian but I'm not here to say what is right and what is wrong but I know that if everyone would follow what the bible says about sex and marriage, AIDS would be totally gone in a generation or two. We should focus on cancer that attacks us all!!!

Just saying. :)
  • Reply 11 of 30
    Just remember.. the global fund LOST $34m a couple of years ago...
  • Reply 12 of 30
    Quote:

I totally agree! I asked a sales person at the local Apple store and he said he was surprised they didn't have a product RED 5c. That was probably my biggest surprise
  • Reply 13 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ndirishfan1975 View Post

Quote:

I totally agree! I asked a sales person at the local Apple store and he said he was surprised they didn't have a product RED 5c. That was probably my biggest surprise

I have to believe Apple has thought of it...probably coming soon. :)

Best

• Reply 14 of 30
    Don't forget that Apple's charitable matching program raised $2.6M for nonprofits...

http://appleinsider.com/articles/11/11/10/apples_charitable_matching_program_raises_2_6m_for_nonprofits
  • Reply 15 of 30
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by msmith71 View Post

I have a cure for AIDS that is free but no one wants to listen. I am a Christian but I'm not here to say what is right and what is wrong but I know that if everyone would follow what the bible says about sex and marriage, AIDS would be totally gone in a generation or two. We should focus on cancer that attacks us all!!!

Just saying. image

I wrote a long thing here which I've deleted because I don't want to start religious arguments, but let me just say that when you claim you're not here to say what is right or wrong, but everyone should follow the bible, you are saying what is right or wrong.   

I also think any such statements are inappropriate for a site about Apple. 

• Reply 16 of 30
    Apple is the worlds most valuable company with annual profits measured in billions. No offense but $65M raised over 7 years since 2006, or $10M per year is somewhat pathetic. Apple efforts are token gestures at best. Why not create one of the new iPhone 5c colors as a Product Red color for example? And yes, I buy Product Red wherever possible...
  • Reply 17 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

I wrote a long thing here which I've deleted because I don't want to start religious arguments, but let me just say that when you claim you're not here to say what is right or wrong, but everyone should follow the bible, you are saying what is right or wrong.   

I also think any such statements are inappropriate for a site about Apple. 

As an ardent Christian, I would agree with this statement. Jesus also had compassion on th sick, so supportingan effort to help those in need is probably better than preaching from a soap box.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aussiepaul View Post

Apple is the worlds most valuable company with annual profits measured in billions. No offense but $65M raised over 7 years since 2006, or $10M per year is somewhat pathetic. Apple efforts are token gestures at best. Why not create one of the new iPhone 5c colors as a Product Red color for example? And yes, I buy Product Red wherever possible...

They are the worlds most valuable company who have donated $65 million from this one gesture alone. This is not the only charitable giving that Apple does I am sure. Either way, Bono seemed impressed with their "token gesture"
  • Reply 19 of 30
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    emrul wrote: »
    Just remember.. the global fund LOST $34m a couple of years ago...

This is the thing with charities you need to keep a close eye on where the money goes!!!????????????????. I don't know much about the product RED initative bit even good intentioned charities attract the wrong sort of people that want to "help out".

In any event if Apple really wanted to help out, they would look into establishing a medical research division. On the other hand they have given so much to Stanford that it is practically their research center.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    msmith71 wrote: »

Just saying. :)

Who do you think you are? How dare you. You know nothing of the poverty that so much of Africa deals with. Even in the west, AIDS is a killer. Delaying sex till after marriage obviously does not 'cure' this disease by any stretch of the wildest imagination.

You have no idea. How dare you suggest that an organised, scientific and honest approach to ridding this horrible disease is no better than throwing ancient books around.

Your blasé comment really makes me angry. You should be ashamed of yourself for even thinking what you just wrote.