iPhone demand in China, Japan projected to push Sept. quarter sales to 34.5M

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

It is already estimated that between 42 and 46 million CM are using an iPhone.

I'm always curious how that can work when China Mobile uses TDS-CDMA, which no iPhone supports (the TD-LTE channels are enabled Phone 5c and 5s, but I see nothing in the current skus that shows TDS-CDMA)?

[UPDATE:   Okay, Okay, and iPhone 5 can be jailbroken to turn on TDS-CDMA… I caught that after the fact….  That said, that's hardly the market Apple wants to sell to]

• Reply 22 of 56
    Quote:

It is already estimated that between 42 and 46 million CM are using an iPhone.

So what. Lots of people used T-Mobile before it was an actual iPhone carrier, but they still had big sales once they officially supported it.

Don't any iPhones on CM not work to their full potential? They only now just added the proper bands.

• Reply 23 of 56
    Quote:

As long as vendors remain happy with their cut.

Hence the 5c… with lower manufacturing costs, Apple is more willing to share more profits, allowing carriers (and non-contract vendors) to play a bit with the Retail price.

• Reply 24 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by palomine View Post

Well, hell, maybe Apple will make gobtons of money this year, but because its so 'unpopular' it will get downgraded again. Maybe soon it will have a YOY sales increase of 50% and have its PE value dragged to -50. Then the stock pages can show a dash for the PE value, like they do for Amazon with its PE of 3,500 and it is utterly meaningless.

In other words, Apple profits have reached a level of meaninglessness.

I think Deidu shows it best… Apple's Stock Price is not measured by its profits, but by it's bank account.  The moment it started paying out dividends and buying back stock…. it 'fell,'  two things that would normally increase the value of the stock.

• Reply 25 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pdq2 View Post

..... Apple just completed the _largest quarterly stock buyback in the history of Wall Street_, ....And the effect was... well, basically, it had no effect, as far as I can tell, on the stock price.

Well, we don't know what the stock price would have been had Apple not made the repurchase program announcement.

• Reply 26 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

I think Deidu shows it best… Apple's Stock Price is not measured by its profits, but by it's bank account.  The moment it started paying out dividends and buying back stock…. it 'fell,'  two things that would normally increase the value of the stock.

This doesn't make sense.

Apple's cash is growing faster than it can spend it.

• Reply 27 of 56
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

Apple's stock will rise they day they do the following:

Lower the price of the phones to one penny, while maintaining the highest margins in business, while coming out with magical products in categories that don't even exist today, while blowing past every Analyst's hyped up Apple sales forecasts by tenfold.

Until or unless that happens, APPL will NOT break 500.

The Analysts demand MAGIC TRICKS.

I suggest we all pitch in and hire them a magician with a rabbit.

And the Analysts themselves can play the clowns, which they are!

• Reply 28 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Still doomed.

I agree.  Selling more is really bad and will kill Apple in the long run just like all the other companies that sell more and go under.

• Reply 29 of 56
    Overly optimistic analysts don't help Apple. They set these ridiculously high expectations and Apple stock holders pay the price if Apple does not beat them by a huge amount. I wish they would all shut up and go away.
  • Reply 30 of 56
    Quote:

Hence the 5c… with lower manufacturing costs, Apple is more willing to share more profits, allowing carriers (and non-contract vendors) to play a bit with the Retail price.

The price is being lowered the equivalent of $95. I really don't think the difference between the cost of the 5c and the 5s is that much.

I think the profit from the device itself is basically zero at that point.

... and, besides, Apple is not reflected in this discount. Apple is still getting its margins.

• Reply 31 of 56
    Quote:

...measured by bank account?  No.  Your cause effect logic is completely spurious.

And while I cannot offer better logic, I can say with some confidence that Apple is merely a unique company in an unique environment.  Control of software, hardware and platform with global reach has never been done.  Because of this, big investors use/abuse stock market sentiment to create fluctuations in prices when there REALLY IS NO FINANCIAL REASON for the stock to rise and fall.  Each rise and fall of share price is an opportunity for big investors to make money and many of them are making money....with a factor of probability that neither you nor I can compete with.

But don't for a moment think that each rise and fall is tied to some single factor, like "bank account".

• Reply 32 of 56
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

Then Deidu is an idiot. A company's bank account is only one component that determines its stock price.

Would you rather have a company with $1 B in the bank and earning $10 B per year or a company with $2 B in its bank account and losing $5 B per year?

The only question is whether Apple could do something else with $150 B that would have a greater impact than reducing the number of outstanding shares. There may be something else, but they couldn't think of it - and I sure haven't heard any suggestions.
  • Reply 33 of 56
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Apple doesn't share. They have a take it or leave it approach.
    jragosta wrote: »
    Then Deidu is an idiot. A company's bank account is only one component that determines its stock price.

Would you rather have a company with $1 B in the bank and earning $10 B per year or a company with $2 B in its bank account and losing $5 B per year?

The only question is whether Apple could do something else with $150 B that would have a greater impact than reducing the number of outstanding shares. There may be something else, but they couldn't think of it - and I sure haven't heard any suggestions.

Pick a different analogy. If the lose 5B a year they have no money in the bank.
  • Reply 34 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

So what. Lots of people used T-Mobile before it was an actual iPhone carrier, but they still had big sales once they officially supported it.

Don't any iPhones on CM not work to their full potential? They only now just added the proper bands.

It was a statement, pal. That's all. Just a statement. Why does everything have to be an issue.

• Reply 35 of 56
    Quote:

I'm always curious how that can work when China Mobile uses TDS-CDMA, which no iPhone supports (the TD-LTE channels are enabled Phone 5c and 5s, but I see nothing in the current skus that shows TDS-CDMA)?

[UPDATE:   Okay, Okay, and iPhone 5 can be jailbroken to turn on TDS-CDMA… I caught that after the fact….  That said, that's hardly the market Apple wants to sell to]

Apple is selling to that market. These are people who want iPhones. Apple makes iPhones.  ;)
  • Reply 36 of 56
    34 million iPhones for the next quarter can't be good. I heard Samsung sells that many smartphones every month. That's why Samsung now dominates the smartphone industry and Apple is a far distant second place. The "Apple is doomed" cries will continue in all 2013.

/s
  • Reply 37 of 56
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    jungmark wrote: »
    Pick a different analogy. If the lose 5B a year they have no money in the bank.

Absolutely false. Lots of companies that are losing money have cash in the bank. Of course, if the cash flow is negative, they'll have less cash next year or will run out of cash, but there's absolutely no reason why a money-losing company can't have cash in the bank at one moment in time. (And that, of course, ignores the possibility that you could be losing money and still have a positive cash flow).

If you don't understand even that simple concept, you really have no business entering this discussion at all.
  • Reply 38 of 56
    allenbf wrote: »
    Still doomed.

Haha doomed is Samsung with the classy PLASTIC GOLD phone! PLASTIC!!!

Should we being up the fugly gigantic watch?
  • Reply 39 of 56
    mikejones wrote: »
    She is clearly paid by Apple to say this. Everyone knows that the iPhone is too expensive for China and will be a major flop.

/s

Yes the flop already sold more in one week then the Samsung s4 in 6 months?
  • Reply 40 of 56
    How many Samsung s4 estimated to sell in the quarter compared to 34million iPhone?

Anyone want to guess?

7 million.

Yes 24 million to 7