Retina display-toting iPad mini may not ship with 'iPad 5' this year, report says

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
A report on Thursday claims Apple may not be planning to release a Retina display iPad mini alongside an expected next-generation "iPad 5" next month, citing low manufacturing volumes unsuitable for mass shipments.

iPad mini 2
Purportedly leaked "iPad mini 2" shells.

According to IHS iSuppli's supply chain checks, the next-generation 9.7-inch iPad is on track for an October launch, but production of a high-resolution iPad mini is not yet at levels that would indicative of a simultaneous release, reports CNET.

"The Retina Mini looks less certain for that time," said IHS iSuppli's director of Tablet and Monitor Research, Rhoda Alexander. "Manufacturing volumes on that would match better with a Q114 [first quarter 2014] launch."

Alexander qualified the statement by noting Apple may introduce such a device in October with the fifth-generation iPad, but could choose to ship it at a later date.

The publication notes that, while analysts have discussed Retina panel yields, they claim mass production could be less than optimal for a 2013 launch. In either case, it appears that Apple will likely be face with supply constraints, a situation that has become increasingly familiar for the company.

Earlier this year, KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said Retina display yield issues would push back Retina iPad mini production until October. In a more recent report, the analyst predicted the "iPad 5" and "iPad mini 2" would both see release in the fourth quarter of 2013, with Apple pushing up the mini's launch date due to increased competition in the sector.

All should be revealed in the coming weeks, as Apple is rumored to be planning a special event next month to introduce a revamped tablet lineup.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    Well, this confirms the previous rumor that the next mini may or may not have a retina screen.
  • Reply 2 of 61
    Any such speculation of Apple actually announcing a product with a later shipping date should be taken with a grain of salt; because it is doubtful if Apple were to do a product announcement without product being ready to ship.

The big event to look for is the introduction of the Mac Pro.
  • Reply 3 of 61
    If the iPad 5 has the same form factor as the mini theyll be less desire for a mini.
  • Reply 4 of 61
    The retina model will probably come out this fall. There's no point in waiting till Q1 after people have already spent their holiday money.
  • Reply 5 of 61

I think it is time Apple Insider keeps track of who and where these rumors come from while also intercomparing the rumor to the stock change directly correlating with the rumor. 

• Reply 6 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

The retina model will probably come out this fall. There's no point in waiting till Q1 after people have already spent their holiday money.

Agreed. Apple is not going to annouce a retina mini and ship it after the Holidays. That would kill the sales of the mini at a time when they could be making big Holiday money. Either they release it or they don't hold an event. No reason to hold an event for just the full sized iPad.  

• Reply 7 of 61

I can't remember a single iPhone or iPad release since the iPhone 4 where there was no claim by somebody that there is a shortage, manufacturing problems etc.

As these products are normally sold out over the first weekend, this is a self-fulfilling prophecy. "See! They don't have enough! I was right!"

For some strange reason, except for the white iPhone 4 (that obviously really had problems initially) every single of these products shipped in higher numbers than their respective predecessor.

There are several "retina" / hi-dpi small tablets by now – they cost next to nothing, even Amazon can make one. But Apple can't buy any? Yeah. I totally believe that.

• Reply 8 of 61
    Apple will release a phablet as the competition is leading in the market.
  • Reply 9 of 61
    Quote:

The publication notes that, while analysts have discussed Retina panel yields, they claim mass production could be less than optimal for a 2013 launch.

I thought we stopped believing analysts a long time ago...

• Reply 10 of 61
    Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

Sounds like the last reason they’d do it.

• Reply 11 of 61
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    dreyfus2 wrote: »
    I can't remember a single iPhone or iPad release since the iPhone 4 where there was no claim by somebody that there is a shortage, manufacturing problems etc.

As these products are normally sold out over the first weekend, this is a self-fulfilling prophecy. "See! They don't have enough! I was right!"

For some strange reason, except for the white iPhone 4 (that obviously really had problems initially) every single of these products shipped in higher numbers than their respective predecessor.

There are several "retina" / hi-dpi small tablets by now – they cost next to nothing, even Amazon can make one. But Apple can't buy any? Yeah. I totally believe that.

I think I'll write a play called "Waiting for Igzo" (accent on the last syllable), "A Tragicomedy in Two Acts."

There are two characters. One says they must wait for Igzo. The other says he doesn't believe there is an Igzo. They go back and forth about this tediously for much of the play.

I haven't worked out the ending yet . . .
  • Reply 12 of 61
    Looks good. From the start, retina was what people wanted a retina mini. For example, from the original release: http://dailybarrage.com/2012/11/03/apple-ipad-mini-announcement-impressions/
  • Reply 13 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

Apple might release a bigger iPhone once they find the components they are happy with, I don't think they can avoid it. And Cook pretty much said so. But it will not be in "phablet" territory, maybe something between 4.5 and 5 Inches.

But a phablet? One of these Samsung atrocities? Never. (I would not rule out putting telephony capabilities into a larger tablet, IF there is a reasonable mean to make use of it without holding that pizza box to your ear.)

• Reply 14 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I think I'll write a play called "Waiting for Igzo" (accent on the last syllable), "A Tragicomedy in Two Acts."

Not sure I got the point (sorry!)...

There is nothing wrong with the current IPS hi-dpi panels available on the market (e.g. the ones used in the Nexus 7 or the new Amazon "HDX" model - presumably, of course: I have not seen one yet). They are not (AM)OLED or pentile crap, they are really much more than "good enough".

I have only seen one IGZO panel in my life, which is installed in the Asus PQ321 4k display... and for the naked eye, it has nothing that would put it ahead of "traditional" IPS technology.

If cheap-ass tablets like the Nexus 7 or the Amazon HDX can deliver a "retina"-class panel, I would expect Apple to be able to compete. And IF they have a reason to not use these components (certainly possible), I expect more than an acronym as an explanation. Apple is not using IGZO anywhere, why would it be a "must" for an iPad Mini?

• Reply 15 of 61
    applepi wrote: »
    Agreed. Apple is not going to annouce a retina mini and ship it after the Holidays. That would kill the sales of the mini at a time when they could be making big Holiday money. Either they release it or they don't hold an event. No reason to hold an event for just the full sized iPad.  

Lots of people have really short term memory like gold fish this day. Only until a few years ago. Apple announce their new products in January Macworld.

And anyone done a day of retail knows - January is a strong retail month, just like pre Xmas.
  • Reply 16 of 61
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    dreyfus2 wrote: »

If cheap-ass tablets like the Nexus 7 or the Amazon HDX can deliver a "retina"-class panel, I would expect Apple to be able to compete. And IF they have a reason to not use these components (certainly possible), I expect more than an acronym as an explanation. Apple is not using IGZO anywhere, why would it be a "must" for an iPad Mini?

Assuming Ming-Chi Kuo was right that Apple intends to use IGZO-based displays, the mini would be the most logical first use. Then assume they've been working on that. The way they design things to the last detail, there would be no turning to another technology once they've committed. They would not start over, they would wait for the original solution to be ready.

Edit. It occurs to me that you might not suspect as I do that using IGZO would affect the design of the entire device: backlight, battery, case, and thus all the internals.
  • Reply 17 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by APPLGUY View Post

Well, this confirms the previous rumor that the next mini may or may not have a retina screen.

FACT: The next mini may or may not have a retina screen.

• Reply 18 of 61
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    Not having an iPad mini ready for the holiday seasons would be a very bad move. There must be millions of people only waiting to burn their money on one of these, arguably even more than there are waiting for the iPad 5.
    Not having this ready for the most important season of the year would definitely reflect on the stock market through the analysts.
  • Reply 19 of 61
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

What a great idea -- a Rumor and Analyst Leader and Loserboard.

ANALYST/SOURCE      RUMOR         YES OR FAIL?

Gene Munster                 # iPhones sold opening w/e 2013            FAIL

Gene Munster                 # iPhones sold opening w/e 2012            FAIL

Oh, wait, it already exists and done way better than I'm proposing. 

Well, I personally predict the iPad 5 will have a retina version alongside a non retina version.  That way, Apple can provide the choice but also the volume for the holidays.

Just two cents.

• Reply 20 of 61

"Alexander qualified the statement by noting Apple may introduce such a device in October with the fifth-generation iPad, but could choose to ship it at a later date." 

Clever, so whatever happens with the Mini release date - a release next month or some time later, this person can claim they got it right.