In last company meeting, Ballmer calls Apple 'fashionable,' says Microsoft about 'doing more'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 147
    Steve Ballmer: "I've got four words for you. I. Love. This. Company! - YEAH!"

Heh, too bad the company "He's Just Not That Into You" - 2009 New Line Cinema movie

and

"We are never ever ever getting back together" - Taylor Swift
  • Reply 42 of 147
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Look past the condescending, misguided metaphor of "fashionable" and there is some truth to what he is saying. But you have to have the intellectual curiosity and wherewithal to look past your own biased filter, too.

How is "fashionable" a metaphor? It is just the usual misunderstanding of Apple's products being given a slightly different wrong adjective due to that misunderstanding.

What "truth" is there "to what he is saying"?

What are you saying here? It isn't clear.
  • Reply 43 of 147
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

How has it worked for out for him? Let's think about that ... Tell me you wouldn't trade places with him.

OK, I will:

I wouldn't trade places with him.

Do I envy him his money a bit?  Sure, a little bit.  But I wouldn't trade places with him, because my life is fulfilling enough, and I wouldn't want to go through it as clueless as he is just to have his money. 

Thompson

• Reply 44 of 147
    they have an unachievable destiny, not unbelievable destiny
  • Reply 45 of 147
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DarenDino View Post

they have an unachievable destiny, not unbelievable destiny

No, they can definitely achieve their destiny. It's not hard to achieve total irrelevance. RIM/BlackBerry, Nokia, Palm, etc. proved that it's not really that hard.

• Reply 46 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Microsoft, Ballmer said, is about "doing more."

And by "doing more" he must have meant doing more rebooting, more troubleshooting, more virus scanning, more calling tech support, more cursing at the computer screen, you know, "doing more"

• Reply 47 of 147
    It's too bad that Balmer is stepping down. Otherwise he might finally have realized his dream of incendiary lemons. Seriously. Steve Ballmer is a living Cave Johnson.

People say that Apple fans "drink the Kool-Aid", but you have to be outright blind to view Ballmer as passionate when he's really just insane.
  • Reply 48 of 147
    And this is why Microsoft is where it is today
  • Reply 49 of 147
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you
  • Reply 50 of 147
    I don't like being a hater, but God he is a mutant. I must have an Anti-Reality Distortion Field device (probably running on Windows RT). He's like a walking double oxymoron. He really needs to be committed.
  • Reply 51 of 147
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    auxio wrote: »
    In other words, Microsoft employees are frantically searching used car lots around the world looking for a suitable replacement.

Done:
    http://scoopertino.com/that-was-fast-microsoft-announces-ceo-short-list/

You'd think that someone at Microsoft would have learned to gag Ballmer by now. Oh, well, only another year.

The good news is that I don't think they really have the culture to change, so I don't expect the next CEO to be much better. It would take someone like Jobs who has the ability to drag the entire organization kicking and screaming into the future and I don't think their board is desperate enough to accept that.
  • Reply 52 of 147
    Ballmer never got it before, isn't getting it now and still won't be getting it when the swinging door hits his backside on his way out. There's a reason why every new mobile technology product that MS has launched under his watch has failed miserably.

He. Just. Doesn't. Get. It.
  • Reply 53 of 147
    Steve who?
  • Reply 54 of 147

Doing less, knowing less, being expensive and being highly unfashionable sums up Microsoft pretty well. 

• Reply 55 of 147
    It's certainly fashionable these days to be kicking Microsoft's ass.
  • Reply 56 of 147
    Look past the condescending, misguided metaphor of "fashionable" and there is some truth to what he is saying. But you have to have the intellectual curiosity and wherewithal to look past your own biased filter, too.

I'll bite... How exactly is Microsoft about "doing more"? What more are they doing than Apple?
  • Reply 57 of 147
    "...We have unbelievable potential in front of us..."

A lot of things/people/companies have POTENTIAL. What a lot of those same things don't have is KINETIC energy.

Talk talk talk...
  • Reply 58 of 147

Ballmer is so juvenile - he always been.  It's like he's in high school at a pep rally for the big game with the cross town rival.  Or even better, he's a lame rapper who can't put two words together, yet he constantly boasts how his rhymes are better than all the other MCs.

Dear Steve B:  The rest of us out here are adults.  Why can't you be one too?

• Reply 59 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

How has that worked out for him? In the context of my comment and in the context of the story. Not that well.

Well, we can always define just the right context so that we are never wrong, can't we? That's ok.

• Reply 60 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CustomTB View Post

I'll bite... How exactly is Microsoft about "doing more"? What more are they doing than Apple?

Thanks for asking.

Assuming the *quote* is correct, he didn't say Microsoft was doing more. He said Microsoft was "about doing more". Likewise, he didn't say Google knew more (do you really think he would concede that?); he said they were "about knowing more".

Think about his metaphors:

Apple = fashionable

Amazon = cheap

Google = about knowing more

Microsoft = about doing more

A different way of wording it:

Apple = design-driven 

Amazon = price-driven 

Google = aggregating information (search, book-scanning, ...)

Microsoft = providing productivity (Office, CRM, SQL Server, ...)

Is that really a wrong way of differentiating the business models of the Four Horsemen? Of course people here are incapable and in fact unwilling to see it that way. They prefer to mock his appearance instead. After the guffaws, how intelligent and insightful does one really feel?