Delta Airlines to distribute Surface 2 to pilots after iPad trial

Comments

• Reply 101 of 163
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    I believe they are making a huge mistake because I know of hardware using windows always have problems. It is not that I am bias so good luck flying Delta.
  • Reply 102 of 163
    Figured into the financial calculation is the fact that theft of device can be set at zero. Know anyone who would steal one?
  • Reply 103 of 163
    It's understandable why Delta Airlines aren't doing the BYOD with the Surface RTs. IF they did only five people would show up for work with their private Surfaces.
  • Reply 104 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macslut View Post

2) There's hardly any relevant software for pilots to use on the Surface 2.  iPads pretty much have it all.  It's not just a question of having a few apps versus bazillions, it's a question of not having any of the apps you need in a cockpit available for the platform.

My guess is that Delta plans to use its own custom software, so the overall app ecosystem probably isn't relevant for this use case. 

• Reply 105 of 163
    I guess I won't be using delta anymore...
  • Reply 106 of 163
    Windows in the cockpit? No flying Delta "the blue screen of death" Airlines for me!

(Full disclosure: I've already 'enjoyed' the "Delta experience" and pledged never to fly that airline again, ever. This only seals the deal for me.)

Surface RT in the cockpit? Your life depending on it? Seriously. Not. Ever.
  • Reply 107 of 163
    Quote:

Originally Posted by runbuh View Post

GadgetCanadaV2, what can you make out of this?

This? Why, I can make a hat or a brooch or a pterodactyl

The bigger question of all of this is do any of you like movies about gladiators

• Reply 108 of 163
    Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

The bigger question of all of this is do any of you like movies about gladiators

Gadget… have you ever seen a grown baby naked?

• Reply 109 of 163
    Well they just lost a client.. i don't feel safe with pilots using surface tablet or any microsoft product!
  • Reply 110 of 163
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jpmia View Post

Well they just lost a client.. i don't feel safe with pilots using surface tablet or any microsoft product!

I could be wrong but most hospital computers run Microsoft.

• Reply 111 of 163
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

1> ... MS based tablets have also been through that process.. not the Surface2, but there are several windows-based products that were never really available at the consumer level that were used in Airlines.

That's nice, but totally not relevant.  Microsoft could've had 100 billion different products with FAA certification on every aircraft ever built.  At issue is the Surface 2 not having the required certification for each aircraft Delta planes on using for this program, and the process is very long.

Quote:

2> ... Related to #1... EVERY bit of software they need is ALREADY available for Windows OS.  They've been around for years.  That is a non-issue.

Again, that's nice that all the software is available on Windows (although many applications still specifically require Windows XP), however what's relevant is whether it runs on the Surface 2, and pretty much none of it does.  You might have had a point if you were talking about Windows XP laptops in the cockpit, or even the Surface Pro 2, but this is the ARM version of Surface as in the Surface RT, only the stink of "RT" is so bad that Microsoft removed it from the name adding further confusion to the market.

Quote:

3> ... In the heavily regulated industries , like airlines, a single-vendor solution is actually much easier to manage than BYOD.

Yet again, that's nice, but how many examples can you give of a company going from a well-used BYOD to single-vendor where the single vendor has less than 1% market share?  That asked, of course the Surface 2 will be easy to manage... "Here, here's your Surface 2, it comes with MS Office which should come in handy when you've got a problem in the cockpit.  Don't worry about putting unauthorized software on it, because you won't find any."

Seriously, there are too many questions left unanswered in the article, but worse, left unasked, as in these things never occurred to Paul Thurrott when he was trying to get confirmation on the story.

• Reply 112 of 163
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpmia View Post

I could be wrong but most hospital computers run Microsoft.

There would be no more risk using Surface tablets in the cockpit than iPads because they won't be using either of them to fly the planes. They are just for static reference material backed up by at least one hard copy printout. I was on a flight last January and the pilots were using an Android tablet. How do I know? It was a Leer jet and the pilots were right in view of passengers. I could clearly see the screen, it was Android. These guys were all ex-military and I trusted them completely. I'd be more worried about pilots being over worked and lacking sufficient sleep than I would be about their issued tablet.

• Reply 113 of 163
    I hope the device doesn't BSOD when the pilots need some sort of critical data.
  • Reply 114 of 163
    What morons! Putting failed devices with a failed OS into the hands of pilots responsible for hundreds of lives. How stupid can you possibly be? I will definitely not be flying Delta! Ever!
  • Reply 115 of 163

Delta does like to higher the jet jocks from the military and those guys fly on the edge... Guess Delta wants to make them feel at home!

Gives a whole new meaning to "my computer crashed!"

/

/

• Reply 116 of 163
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    snova wrote: »
    first you say.. they are running Android, but can't back it up. Now you are saying they are running Google Maps.. but I again I say.. "pony up the facts fella".  keep trying.. as far as I know.. everyone is using onboard maps and not going over cell to get Maps.  data please.  else please quit with the propaganda.    Keep in mind cell is not available everywhere.  that is why Nav IVI systems needs on board maps. 

Um, no I never said any of them were using Android (note my kinda hate on Tesla comment after you pointed out they weren't using Android but instead Linux).

And yes they're all integrating Google Maps and/or search services
    http://www.audi.com/com/brand/en/models/infotainment_and_communication/audi_connect_services/destination_input_via_myaudi_or_google_maps.html
    http://blogs.automotive.com/photo-of-the-day-audis-google-maps-141227.html
    http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-10863_7-10016878.html
    http://www.gizmag.com/hyundai-google-maps/25611/
    http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9235178/Kia_integrates_Google_Maps_voice_search_into_2014_Sorento
    http://reviews.cnet.com/sedan/2012-tesla-model-s/4505-10865_7-35338245-2.html
  • Reply 117 of 163
    I wonder if Microsoft had offered them free (or below that at this rate)?
  • Reply 118 of 163

I guess Delta doesn't mind having pilots fly with an electronic paper weight. 

• Reply 119 of 163
    At least they won't be distracted by doing anything fun.
  • Reply 120 of 163
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Gadget… have you ever seen a grown baby naked?

Gaaaaahhhh!!!! Can't unsee that!!! Thanks a lot TS!! I picked the wrong day to quit drinking