In last company meeting, Ballmer calls Apple 'fashionable,' says Microsoft about 'doing more'

Comments

• Reply 121 of 147
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Yes, they really need to put more effort in to that product. Regular updates would be a nice start.

Hopefully the update this fall (84.54 days to go, Apple) will not only be across the entire ecosystem (OS X, iOS, and web), but also bring fresh tools to the suite and, dare I say it, 1:1 COMPATIBILITY.

• Reply 122 of 147
    Msft employees are watching Silicon Valley and all the start ups and saying man I gotta get out a here..
  • Reply 123 of 147

I truly wonder sometimes how much damage Apple would do to Microsoft if they released OS X for regular PC's during the change of the guard (when Balmer leaves).

• Reply 124 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

Now THAT is funny.

• Reply 125 of 147
    I truly wonder sometimes how much damage Apple would do to Microsoft if they released OS X for regular PC's during the change of the guard (when Balmer leaves).

Apple will do more damage to itself than to MS.
  • Reply 126 of 147
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Here we go, some of the video:

[VIDEO]

I didn't know Nokia made shirts too. I want to see the Michael Jackson dance though.

Ballmer: you work for the greatest company in the world, soak it in

Don't lie to them on the way out Ballmer. I take it they're supposed to be soaking in the sweat from the sweaty bald man as he jumps around.

Audience: we love you!
    Ballmer: this isn't about any one person. It's about a company that's important, that's forward-thinking, that's innovative, that's ethical, that hires great people and lets them lead great lives, that helps people around the world realise their full potential.

Ok enough about Apple, what about Microsoft?

Ballmer: Microsoft's like a 4th child to me

That's the one that gets all the leftover genes and is put up for adoption.

Ugh, that video is so cringeworthy, here's one to help you forget:

[VIDEO]

The reaction of the girl on the left is hilarious.
  • Reply 127 of 147
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

Thats what you get from a piss poor looser.  He has basically singlehandedly made microsoft irrelevant.  And hes walking away with millions for doing it.

Billions

• Reply 128 of 147
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Marvin wrote: »
    Here we go, some of the video:

Ugh, that video is so cringeworthy . . .

Ouch. Even the person holding the camera couldn't stand to put the camera on him.

"Soak it in," he says. Like wallow in it.
  • Reply 129 of 147
    Usually you can do more with a simpler tool than a more complex one. Especially if you understand how to use it. I vividly remember in the early '80s my uncle taking me to task with a slide rule while I was still trying to clear out the memory registers on my HP calculator to even start solving the problem.

The big problem MS his it that it wants people to do more work. People don't want to do more work on a tablet. They want to entertain themselves. Relax. Read. Play Games. Surf the web. The work they do and things they create with iOS or Android are things they enjoy doing not things they have to do. I think most people are very happy to keep the company CIO out of the decision on what tablet they read their children's bedtime stories from. I think MS is heading down the same road as BlackBerry... all work and no play... makes Jack a 'poor' boy...
  • Reply 130 of 147
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Usually you can do more with a simpler tool than a more complex one. Especially if you understand how to use it. I vividly remember in the early '80s my uncle taking me to task with a slide rule while I was still trying to clear out the memory registers on my HP calculator to even start solving the problem.

The big problem MS his it that it wants people to do more work. People don't want to do more work on a tablet. They want to entertain themselves. Relax. Read. Play Games. Surf the web. The work they do and things they create with iOS or Android are things they enjoy doing not things they have to do. I think most people are very happy to keep the company CIO out of the decision on what tablet they read their children's bedtime stories from. I think MS is heading down the same road as BlackBerry... all work and no play... makes Jack a 'poor' boy...

This is an excellent point, the way it is framed. We might be looking at the difference that being in Seattle makes on the company's mindset. Combined with what Jobs said about Bill's lack of experience with his, Jobs's, favorite shamanic conjuring substance. Just imagine Steve Ballmer on acid . . .

Not designed or even conceived in California!
  • Reply 131 of 147
    Quote:

Apple = design-driven 

Amazon = price-driven 

Google = aggregating information (search, book-scanning, ...)

Microsoft = providing productivity (Office, CRM, SQL Server, ...)

What is being "design driven" if not to design a product that works in such a way where on can "get more done"? That's Microsoft's favorite thing to try to do (after working there for years), to suggest that being "design driven" is somehow a shallow pursuit in and of itself and justifies putting out "productivity software and hardware" that is poorly designed because after all according to many at Microsoft,  beautiful technology is somehow for the masses and doesn't represent advanced use cases for work and home. Ironically it seems to be the enterprise users that are adopting iPhone and iPad in massive waves and yet Microsoft stubbornly clings to this FUD around good design. It's such cognitive dissonance. 

• Reply 132 of 147

Failed leaders always blame someone else for their lack of success. 

• Reply 133 of 147
    Marvin wrote: »
    Ballmer: this isn't about any one person. It's about a company that's important, that's forward-thinking, that's innovative, that's ethical, that hires great people and lets them lead great lives, that helps people around the world realise their full potential.

Ok enough about Apple, what about Microsoft?

LOL. Exactly what I was thinking.

I believe those tears are real. They come from an executive who is being shown the door, under the face-saving fiction of "retirement."
  • Reply 134 of 147

I think the subtext of this is: "I am not just stupid, I am unrepentantly stupid."

• Reply 135 of 147
    Quote:

Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

Thanks for asking.

Assuming the *quote* is correct, he didn't say Microsoft was doing more. He said Microsoft was "about doing more". Likewise, he didn't say Google knew more (do you really think he would concede that?); he said they were "about knowing more".

Think about his metaphors:

Apple = fashionable

Amazon = cheap

Google = about knowing more

Microsoft = about doing more

A different way of wording it:

Apple = design-driven 

Amazon = price-driven 

Google = aggregating information (search, book-scanning, ...)

Microsoft = providing productivity (Office, CRM, SQL Server, ...)

Is that really a wrong way of differentiating the business models of the Four Horsemen? Of course people here are incapable and in fact unwilling to see it that way. They prefer to mock his appearance instead. After the guffaws, how intelligent and insightful does one really feel?

You are clearly cast from the same mould as Ballmer. "Fashionable" is not a metaphor — it is an inaccurate way to describe your competition.

And since you seem to take pride in these dripping with condescension posts, I'll point out that if people were incapable of seeing things as you'd like them to see things, then describing them as also unwilling would be redundant and/or incoherent. 

Go back to school.

• Reply 136 of 147

Not the modern GUI, surely? Created?

PS. Not saying Microsoft has, either. These are both

2 thieving companies. The one +ve thing I see about

Microsoft is that they have brought computers and

computing to many unfashionable parts of the world

where the name Apple stands for a 3rd choice fruit

after bananas and mangoes.

• Reply 137 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post

Yes, there is truth to what he is saying. Apple makes products that people actually want to buy. Microsoft, on the other hand, makes products that next to no one wants to buy (Zune, Zune RT, KIN, etc.) or products that people are forced to use because of business decisions (Microsoft Office). Instead of belittling and mocking Apple, he should be working to push products that consumers actually want. And, no, being able to run Microsoft Office is not a feature that drives sales to consumers. Also, you don't see Apple have to offer gift card trade-ins for other people's products to drive sales like Microsoft is forced into doing. So other than more petty insults I don't see much intellectual depth behind the statement.

People with a lot of disposable income want to buy - not people in general.

No one in India wants to buy a iPhone. They all want Android.

In my line of work, I have been forced to purchase iPhones ( I have the iPhone 5

now ) and a MBP. The MBP crashed twice already, this time it wont

possibly recover. I cannot run XCode on a PC, unfortunately. How

convenient. 2 of my Wintel laptops bought in 2006 and 2008 still

run. And thank God for that - at least I can do everything apart from

XCode.

• Reply 138 of 147
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sidhat View Post

People with a lot of disposable income want to buy - not people in general.

No one in India wants to buy a iPhone. They all want Android.

In my line of work, I have been forced to purchase iPhones ( I have the iPhone 5

now ) and a MBP. The MBP crashed twice already, this time it wont

possibly recover. I cannot run XCode on a PC, unfortunately. How

convenient. 2 of my Wintel laptops bought in 2006 and 2008 still

run. And thank God for that - at least I can do everything apart from

XCode.

Actually, let me further clarify that. Apple has now also stopped shipping

Safari for the PC. So even if I were just a extension or web app developer

I could do everything for Chrome but I would have to buy a fucking overpriced

piece of hardware just to work with Safari. And for what ? Swipe left to

see dashboard ? Swipe down to Expose? Swipe out to see the fucking

desktop ? Swipe my arse to dig out the money ?

Lets face it, Apple is a meme. Jobs convinced rich first worlders and

their idle kids to buy "cool" Apple products else they would look

like me and other sweatshop workers. Obviously these people have

the time and money to buy apps and music - hence the rest of the

world must serve them while barely keeping their heads above the

water ( and in the case of Chinese hardware slaves, not even that ).

And I cant even swipe left to my previous app on the fucking iPhone!

• Reply 139 of 147
    Originally Posted by sidhat

Lets face it

Let’s face it: you’re not being paid enough to troll convincingly.

• Reply 140 of 147
    Is it worth responding to obvious trolls?