Adoption of Apple's iOS 7 at 32% after 48 hours, outpacing iOS 6

Comments

• Reply 141 of 171

Interesting, I was visiting with the extended family tonight.  My older brother-in-law, a non technical building contractor, had just that happen, auto updated his 4S and it crippled him at 4am when he was heading out for a job.  He is having lots of trouble with many of the screens, hard for him to see while out working.

I spent half an hour showing him all the great new features and how to navigate the new OS.  If he knew this in advance he would not have upgraded.

• Reply 142 of 171
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iCloudt View Post

My family and I love the new iOS. While I admit I'm not crazy about the look of calendars and notes, it doesn't really bother me, still very functional. What I really like is the new look of the lock and home screens in general, plus much improved functions in web browsing, app switching, spotlight, etc. An overall excellent upgrade.

All good points, I love the parallax view on the home screen, love the fact that you can swipe-to-unlock anywhere on the screen now, love the full screen notes in contacts (I have tons of notes there and before they were only visible in a small window) even though they are too bright for me.  Overall the core upgrade is great, just hope they ratchet back the WHITE.

• Reply 143 of 171
    reme wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    Huh? What has the stock to do with the quality of the companies' products?

Well, if you watched Apple stock after the recent introductions, you'd have to think nothing ;) 

I do think a company making superior products should grow, and their stock with it, don't you?  I'm not a finance guy at all, and it seems that stocks are manipulated by Wall Street in some way.  They seem to jack Apple around, even when doing great things.

Asked and answered, I'd say.
  • Reply 144 of 171

What people think about the looks is one thing – I have more problems with the long animations and constant refreshing of apps when switching to them. I thought the whole idea with the ”new multitaksing” was that the window previews were live, yet most of the time when switching to and app it gets refreshed.

And the long animation when pressing the home button to go form an app to the home screen makes it take longer than it did in iOS 6.

I also find the GUI to be too bright in some places, such as the Photos app. I'd like to have a darker theme.

• Reply 145 of 171
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    megabyte wrote: »
    This is pretty baseless and misleading information.

This says nothing of those who's phone automatically started downloading the new OS on its own.

Mine and 3 others in my family's phone downloaded it without being prompted to then ran the install. So they cannot count all these new users as people who chose to do so misleading that some didn't have a choice, thus inflating the alleged popularity of the new OS.

No, it's not. Did you read the article?

It says that 32% of iPhone web traffic comes from iOS 7. If you haven't installed the update, then your web traffic would still be coming from iOS 6.
  • Reply 146 of 171
    Ah, good safety feature. Didn't think of that. Good point. Another *hidden gem* of iOS7!

How is having your night vision ruined by your phone a safety feature??
  • Reply 147 of 171
    You can improve contrast (and if needed, even reverse colors) under 'Accessibility'.

This misses the point. It was fine in the previous version of the OS. Making people have to change settings when they are not vision impaired enough to need such things in the prior version just means that first impressions to these devices in stores is that much more likely to be bad.
  • Reply 148 of 171
    Whiners refused to take care of their possessions and destroyed them, demanding free replacements. Somehow that makes you right on what you said before?

What an idiotic statement. My iPhone and its cable are BABIED. Yet the cable actually self-destructed near the phone end. It happened so quickly that it was fine when I set the phone to charge at night before bed and was rotting (sticky) and shielding exposed when I went to pick it up in the morning when I woke. No BS. I have never in my life seen anything like it and I have had tech gear since I was 12.

The only other bizarre cable situation I've seen is with the sticky transparent FireWire cables. Also an Apple material choice at fault. With that, I can excuse them for not having 20 years of experience making transparent cables. But with the white iPhone cable self destructing over night??? Dude. No.

I love my iPhone but this is ridiculous. Blaming "whining" users is bad attitude on your part.
  • Reply 149 of 171
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    dysamoria wrote: »
    What an idiotic statement. My iPhone and its cable are BABIED. Yet the cable actually self-destructed near the phone end. It happened so quickly that it was fine when I set the phone to charge at night before bed and was rotting (sticky) and shielding exposed when I went to pick it up in the morning when I woke. No BS. I have never in my life seen anything like it and I have had tech gear since I was 12.

The only other bizarre cable situation I've seen is with the sticky transparent FireWire cables. Also an Apple material choice at fault. With that, I can excuse them for not having 20 years of experience making transparent cables. But with the white iPhone cable self destructing over night??? Dude. No.

I love my iPhone but this is ridiculous. Blaming "whining" users is bad attitude on your part.

If the cables frayed that easily, there would have been a recall.
  • Reply 150 of 171

I've had numerous Apple cables with failed jackets near the undersized strain relief and I too baby my cables.  I now use a bit of shrink tubing right off the bat with new cables to prevent this.  The worst cable I've ever seen was a Kindle cable, it literally crumbled after about 18 months, just a bad plastic.

Apple (or any other company really) doesn't recall unless really pushed, it's easier and more cost effective for them to handle these things case by case.

• Reply 151 of 171

I've now talked to a bunch of people about their feelings on IOS7, every single one had issues with the overly white screens and thin fonts so I'm not alone.  I like the upgrade but hope for corrections in the future.

I still am surprised that I still can't ask Siri to "read me my messages", over my headset, with the phone stowed away, "sorry, I can't do that with the phone locked", so much for hands free!  I miss this functionality (not the instability), which was available years ago on windows mobile devices with voice commander.  Some day, some day.

• Reply 152 of 171
  • Reply 153 of 171

That's not the only thing, unfortunately:

iCloud video share doesn't work on iOS 7

https://discussions.apple.com/message/23198499?ac_cid=tw123456#23198499
  • Reply 154 of 171
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Motion is causing a problem:

No, it’s not.

• Reply 155 of 171
    No, it’s not.

Yes it is.
  • Reply 156 of 171
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Yes it is.

Well, I’m convinced¡

• Reply 157 of 171
    Motion is causing a problem:

No, it’s not.

Then it's all in my mind ¡ That, or I am seeing things
  • Reply 158 of 171
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, it’s not.

Are you a doctor?

Are you going to tell all the people posting on Apple's board that there is no problem with their phone... it's with them?

(I will grant that a lot of people will jump on the bandwagon if they smell a little return for themselves)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, I’m convinced¡

Me, too.

Actually, I'll take my friend's word for it.  She has a medical condition that can be aggravated by certain visual stimuli.  It is actually fairly predictable and repeatable.  The reason we went to the shop to see the phones was I was concerned after seeing OS7 on my iPad mini that it would trigger a reaction in her, so I thought she should hold off on updating until she knew for certain, because Apple doesn't allow people to return to the previous version.  It caused a reaction.  

And there is this:

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/09/27/is-apple-ios-7-actually-sickening-users/

(I know, I know, Fox)

and this:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/sep/27/ios-7-motion-sickness-nausea

and this:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57604741-37/iphone-ipad-owners-complain-of-motion-sickness-due-to-ios-7/

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2013/09/27/new-ios7-update-making-some-users-dizzy/2883587/

http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-apple-ios-7-zoom-animation-nauseous-20130926,0,5425351.story

You get the point.  Lots and lots of really great press.  Someone here mentioned a class action suit about a power cable; how long do you think it will be before one comes in lawyer-crazy land over the OS?

And silence from Cupertino.  The least they could do is let people return to OS6.  I mean I'm a great Apple fan, but I will admit that they can make and have made mistakes.  I think they really messed up with this one.  But, I also think that the phones will sell very well, and that many people will update the OS and not have any problem.  Apple will get money, so they'll question is, will Apple, a company that from early on paid close attention to accessibility, care?

• Reply 159 of 171
    Well, I’m convinced¡

You don't suffer from motion sickness. I do. I can't read in a moving vehicle. I can't sit backwards in a moving vehicle. I can't play Halo for long. Mission Space in Epcot made me sick. I can't be on a boat. IMAX gives me problems.
  • Reply 160 of 171

I don't think it's the parallax feature as mentioned in the fox article however.  Most of what I've read points to the overly aggressive icon animations when unlocking and selecting apps.  Hey Apple, just because you have the sheer graphic power to do these things doesn't mean you have to!

I'd had a few bouts of vertigo, can't do spinning rides, could never read in a car, but love the parallax feature on the phone and don't mind the animations too much, but would like the choice to kill them if needed.  It's clear that 7 crosses the trigger line for a chunk of the population, something that can't be ignored.

If you've never experienced this, then your opinion on this matter is irrelevant... Tallest Skil