Samsung crows about its 'golden history' of making gold colored phones

Comments

• Reply 61 of 121
    @
  • Reply 62 of 121

I don't care who is making "Gold" phones. Apple, Samsung, Blackberry, HTC, they are all friggen hideous and gaudy

• Reply 63 of 121
    edenroc00 wrote: »
    Wanted the lastest like I do every year and had to pay 589.00 out of pocket plus activation. I have NOT purchased a note 3
    Just curious. Will probably wait to see what IPhone 6 does, bit edgy for that "new" toy
    Apple has really simplified my life

If you do like having the latest every year (like a lot of us here, I'm sure) -and- you're in the US (i.e.: getting a subsidized phone on contract) -and- there are two carriers you like (or equally dislike the least) then switching carriers every year to avoid paying full price can save you a couple hundred per year.

Instead of paying, say, Verizon $649 to move from the iPhone 5 to the 5S, you can pay AT&T $199 + Verizon's ETF fee which I believe is $350 - ($10 / month) which should be about $220 which comes out to $419. Once you consider a trade-in or sale of your yearold phone you aren't paying much out of pocket, and possibly make money in a rare case.
  • Reply 64 of 121
    Originally Posted by akqies View Post

So you want a windowed OS structure in your phone instead of seamlessly moving between fullscreen apps.

I really, REALLY wish I had kept the version 1.0 IPSW file of this app I had years back… Well, still have it. It’s called “Desktop”, and that’s exactly what it did on the iPad. You could set a background, there was an approximation of the Start bar, and it had ten or so “apps” inside (browser, maps, calculator, dictionary, translator, etc.) that you could open in separate windows and move them around. It was neat; then Apple forced them to switch to a “two up” system and now you can only see two of them (static halves of the screen) simultaneously.

Wonder if I could find the old file somewhere to get screenshots…

• Reply 65 of 121
    @ akqies didn't work. I do like your arguments
    Without attacks. Clearly a man of reason. Thank you
    The thought of a stylus does"suck" so to speak.
  • Reply 66 of 121
    Quote:

The plan is either an ingenious gambit, or a thinly shrouded act of desperation.

I'm inclined to believe the latter.

• Reply 67 of 121
    The thought of a stylus does"suck" so to speak.

Jobs has a famous saying on that, too, but I think it's taken out of context. If the styus is designed to be your priamry form of input it's fail, but Samsung did a lot right with the Note line of devices. They are still capacitance touchscreen but also have an (expensive) Wacom digitizer embedded into the display which offers a level of usability and precision that can only be realized with a stylus. I think the prices may be too high for Apple to include this across the line and I don't think they would offer it as a separate line, but I hope they do offer it because the technology opens a lot of doors that the iPad currently can't reasonable address. I can only imagine that Apple's SDK and APIs for a built-in digitizer would allow for some amazing apps if they did.
  • Reply 68 of 121
    Quote:

Originally Posted by murman View Post

Read the reader comments in the Samsung Tomorrow link, people are bashing Samsung pretty relentlessly, PR fail.

LOL. It's "Goldengate." 

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Connie View Post

Apple invented gold for smartphones, not feature phones. So Apple did not copy Samsung.

Applying a specific color is not "invention."

• Reply 69 of 121
    I currently live in Middle East and literally just seen the samsungs. The colours are horrendous. The supposed gold one looks metallic brown and the pink well all I can say is "pink" whyyyyy
  • Reply 70 of 121
    Quote:

Originally Posted by edenroc00 View Post

Samsungs phone style completely changed after the iPhone. But, isn't that direct competition forcing change and evolution?

Isn't Target nothing but a coping scam.?Everything they sell is essentially copied and affordable for the masses.

Do I hate Target for designing something I can afford rather than paying 3000.00 for a original

What are you talking about?

• Reply 71 of 121
    @akqies, I do not see Apple doing anything like that. Application wise it is attractive. In which direction do you see Apple headed in the cell phone business? At what screen length will they call it quits?
    Will the phone evolve into strictly a visual/ verbal experience similar to a google glass?yes I said it.....
    It seems if they do not increase in size that it
    Becomes limited. Clueless in this area.
  • Reply 72 of 121
    On you tube I seen I " visionary" post a what if Video of a iPhone 6 that opens up and projects a 17" screen and keyboard...
    Now that was forward thinking to me
  • Reply 73 of 121
    Samsungs phone style completely changed after the iPhone. But, isn't that direct competition forcing change and evolution?
    Isn't Target nothing but a coping scam.?Everything they sell is essentially copied and affordable for the masses.
    Do I hate Target for designing something I can afford rather than paying 3000.00 for a original

Are you serious? Target doesn't steal formulas.
  • Reply 74 of 121

Samsung is a great company.  They've made great phones and they've become the dominant player in the cell phone industry globally.  That's a fact.

They're opportunistic copycats who also improve on Apple's stuff.  They didn't copy gold, but they copied Apple's canny decision to push gold at this time.

Do I like Sammy's phones better than Apple's?  No way.  I personally think iOS7 and the new phones are the BEST in their class.  And Apple is the best technology company.   Their ecosystem is the best.  They have the best apps available for their products.  And they have the best customer base.  They make the most money.

Rather than having Sammy drive Apple out of business (a la Windows in the 90's driving Macs into a corner), I see both Sammy and Google copying Apple's model and offering their own proprietary operating systems co-designed with their hardware.  

I predict the following.  It's not just gold phones Sammy will copy next, it's Tizen iOS + Made for Tizen.

And Google/Moto will have phones with Chrome + Made for Chrome.

• Reply 75 of 121
    Samsing is pathetic joke!
  • Reply 76 of 121
    Who invited the 6-inch old?
  • Reply 77 of 121
    @philboogie can't you add something here. I may be a tech idiot, but I am certainly giving it a go.
  • Reply 78 of 121

Because Samsung *invented* gold.  Right?

• Reply 79 of 121

Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

I predict the following.  It's not just gold phones Sammy will copy next, it's Tizen iOS + Made for Tizen.

And Google/Moto will have phones with Chrome + Made for Chrome.

Samsung is on the Tizen Technical Steering Group, along with Intel.  So yeah, I expect that Samsung will eventually ship phones running Tizen.  It will allow Samsung to control their own destiny in the smartphone space, instead of depending on Google (who are now struggling to dig out of that $12.5 billion Motorola hole.)  And most of Samsung's smartphone customers will never know the difference.  Slap TouchWiz on Tizen and they'll have no idea that the underlying OS has changed.

And yes, ChromeOS is more important to Google than Android.

Larry Page himself said so: http://www.electronista.com/articles/12/04/18/larry.page.sees.android.as.vehicle.for.ads/

• Reply 80 of 121
    @philboogie can't you add something here. I may be a tech idiot, but I am certainly giving it a go.

You're no idiot.

You already know how to multi-task on iOS with the double-click on the home button. There should not be a multitask GUI created; that would negate the entire foundation of the GUI for touch screens.

If you want a larger touch screen buy one. Apple has them only in:

That might change, possibly with a larger iPad. The smallest 3.5" probably will get EOL-ed next year. We might get a wearable thing from Apple, though even though that probably has a touch screen I wouldn't want to put it in the category as we know it now.

As already posted, a 6 inch phone cannot possibly be in a phone category; the phone needs to be mobile, pocketable, small, in your (one) hand, in a small pocket. As mobile phones always have been - for a reason.