From first-gen iPhone to 5s, all eight models put to speed test

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The evolution of Apple's iPhone ? from the original model through the new 5s and 5c ? was shown off recently in a new video that pits all eight released versions of the bestselling handset against each other in a test of speed.

YouTube poster EverythingApplePro has posted a video recently showing every iPhone Apple has released ? the original 2G iPhone, the 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, 5, 5c, and 5c ? simultaneously undergoing a speed test of sorts. The video poster ? along with a number of helping hands ? unlocks, shuts down, and starts up each device before conducting a web speed test on each. Notably, the results don't go exactly as one might expect.

In the shutdown test, the earlier generations of iPhone ? 2G, 3G, and 3GS, all running iOS 6 ? all powered off before the newer models. The iPhone 4 had a comparable time to the older models, and the 4S, 5, 5c, and 5s all shut down at the same time.

For the startup test, Apple's newest high-end device, the iPhone 5s, unsurprisingly beat its predecessors, besting the iPhone 5c by two or three seconds. The iPhone 5c showed the lockscreen just before the iPhone 5 did, though this could be an artifact of the imperfect testing method.

The original iPhone actually took fifth place, coming after the iPhone 4S but before the 4, 3GS, and 3G. The videographer attributes this to the fact that the iPhone 4 ? even though it is years old by now ? runs iOS 7, which likely means there is a different boot sequence that its older hardware takes longer to process. The original iPhone has not been updated since iOS 3.1.3.

The web tests sent the devices to both Reddit and Apple's own home page, and the different generations of iPhone performed as expected. The 5s, with its significantly greater processing power, finishes well ahead of the previous generations. The videographer, though, notes that the difference in performance becomes more subtle as one moves up the generations toward the 5s, with Apple's newest model finishing well ahead of the 4S and older, but only slightly ahead of the 5 and 5c.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    3.1.3 rocks!

Really, why call the first gen iPhone 2G? Call it what it is; iPhone. Or if that's confusing, the original iPhone, as mentioned in the article. Or Gen 1. Or 1G.

Funny though, that the original iPhone with 3.1.3 hasn't given anyone nausea from that fast booting ¡
  • Reply 2 of 31

Damn, those pesky "?'s" are back! 

• Reply 3 of 31
    I was offered $600 for my original iPhone. Its in great condition, I still have the box, and the receipt from the launch day in June 2007.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    Pretty much confirms that the 3G was a slow turd once you upgraded past iOS 3...
  • Reply 5 of 31
    Damn, those pesky "?'s" are back! 

S?y wh?t? I c?n't r??d y??!
  • Reply 6 of 31
    Man, I wish I could afford a first gen iPhone to add to my collection. But everyone is asking alot for one in excellent working condition with box and everything inside. I have all of them now except the first gen, 4S (I skipped over that upgrade to wait for the 5) and the 5C (cause I just bought the 5S instead.)
  • Reply 7 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by G-News View Post

Pretty much confirms that the 3G was a slow turd once you upgraded past iOS 3...

Even without upgrading my 3G was insanely slow after a years use. Seemed like the processor really suffered with age.

Haven't watched the video yet, but would be a nice comparison if they were all running the OS they came out with and if they were all relatively new devices.

• Reply 8 of 31
    philboogie wrote: »
    Really, why call the first gen iPhone 2G? Call it what it is; iPhone. Or if that's confusing, the original iPhone, as mentioned in the article. Or Gen 1. Or 1G.

The 2G refers to the cellular network it operates on, not the generation of the phone. 2G was also referred to as EDGE.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    timgriff84 wrote: »
    Even without upgrading my 3G was insanely slow after a years use. Seemed like the processor really suffered with age.

Haven't watched the video yet, but would be a nice comparison if they were all running the OS they came out with and if they were all relatively new devices.
    Processors do not get slower as they age, but your software can get corrupt after years of use. A fresh restore would fix that. Apps get more bloated with new features, and that can affect the speed due to the limited RAM in the 3G.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDavid311 View Post

Man, I wish I could afford a first gen iPhone to add to my collection. But everyone is asking alot for one in excellent working condition with box and everything inside. I have all of them now except the first gen, 4S (I skipped over that upgrade to wait for the 5) and the 5C (cause I just bought the 5S instead.)

i have one in excellent working condition. not excellent physical condition...

• Reply 11 of 31
    He should not be surprised that iOS 3 boots faster than later OSs since iOS 3 has far less features to load into RAM. Other tasks are faster with the faster CPUs, of course. MS Word 5.1a loads faster on a 68040 than Word 2011 on a quad-core Intel, considering how much more feature-packed Word 2011 is compared to 5.1a. If Word 2011 could run on a 68040, it would probably take days to open.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

I made it a point to collect every *design change* since the first iPhone.  I currently have: The original (post price cut), 3GS, 4, 5S and 5C. I never bought the 5 or the 4S and gave my original 3G to my brother's step daughter who in affect cracked the screen after owning it for a couple weeks (grrr, after i owned for 3 years without a scratch).  However, seeing all 8 phones together i'm almost thinking I should have kept my 3G and got a 4S and 5 on the cheap.  Really, it was more of a personal goal to keep every major form factor rather than a financial endeavor to have the entire collection.   To me it seemed like after the phone looses it's ability to run the most current software, it became useless to keep around another of the same form-factor if there were no visual differences.  I prolly will try to pick up an iPhone 5 when it's cheap enough just to show the difference between the 5 and the 5S.

• Reply 13 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Very funny! :)

• Reply 14 of 31
    Quote:

3.1.3 rocks!

Funny though, that the original iPhone with 3.1.3 hasn't given anyone nausea from that fast booting ¡

..and let's NOT forget that the iPhone 5 really is the iPhone 6!

• Reply 15 of 31
    philboogie wrote: »

Authors need to use UTF-8.
  • Reply 16 of 31

No, thanks anyway. I'm looking for one in excellent working order all around.

• Reply 17 of 31
    Quote:

This.

• Reply 18 of 31

These tests are deeply flawed on several levels.

But my biggest complaint is– why is shutdown used as a benchmark?!  How often does anyone even shut their phone off?    Are you going to use that as a comparison with your Android friend, "yeah, my phone will totally smoke yours in shutting down!"

• Reply 19 of 31
    Even with much faster HW iOS 7 takes longer to shutdown than the older versions. I guess that's because it takes time to package and send all that data to the NSA. /s
  • Reply 20 of 31
    _rick_v_ wrote: »
    These tests are deeply flawed on several levels.

But my biggest complaint is– why is shutdown used as a benchmark?!  How often does anyone even shut their phone off?    Are you going to use that as a comparison with your Android friend, "yeah, my phone will totally smoke yours in shutting down!"

You're misinterpreting the point of these tests. They are not done so thy can put on a spec sheet or to disparage Android users or anything else like that.

It's merely to show how the different HW and OS versions differ. I was surprised, and therefor found it interesting, that some of the results was opposite of what I would have assumed.