iPhone 5s in-store pickup option returns to Apple's online store

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
After a brief absence, Apple's retail in-store pickup option for the newly released iPhone 5s has returned to the company's online store.

Pickup

Though the option has returned, supply of the iPhone 5s appears to remain constrained, with most locations listing the new flagship device as "unavailable for pickup." All online orders for the iPhone 5s are vaguely listed to ship in the month of October, which begins Tuesday.

After the launch weekend for the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c, Apple opened up the in-store pickup option a week ago for both devices. Apple's Personal Pickup program allows customers to order their device online and pick it up at their local store, rather than waiting for it to be shipped.

But just a day after the in-store pickup option opened up, Apple removed it for the iPhone 5s, suggesting the company was not able to keep up with demand. Personal Pickup has remained for the mid-range, multi-colored iPhone 5c since last week.

Apple announced last week that it sold 9 million iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c units in the first three days of availability for the new handsets. Availability of the iPhone 5s has been more limited than the iPhone 5c, with constraints allegedly associated with the new Touch ID fingerprint scanner embedded beneath the home button.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    But just a day after the in-store pickup option opened up, Apple removed it for the iPhone 5s, suggesting the company was not able to keep up with demand. Personal Pickup has remained for the mid-range, multi-colored iPhone 5c since last week.

It was reported on other sites that Personal Pickup was accidently rolled out last week and that's why it was quickly removed.

"Update: Now hearing that Personal Pickup went live last week early due to a glitch"
  • Reply 2 of 25
    If Apple is already able to meet demand enough to open up Personal Pickup, sales this quarter are going to be huge. Especially heading into the holidays.

Side note, visited my local Apple store yesterday for the 5S case and played with the 5C for a few minutes. It feels amazing. I was kinda surprised at how solid it feels.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    Best offers in Gadgets and Accessories at Amazon. http://amzn.to/16BbYRp
  • Reply 4 of 25
    For what it's worth, the next shipment of phones must have reached the US. I ordered a 32GB gold 5S from an AT&T store at 8:00 AM on launch day, long after the Apple Store was reporting "October" as a delivery date. over the weekend I got a notification from FedEx that it would be delivered today.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

If Apple is already able to meet demand enough to open up Personal Pickup, sales this quarter are going to be huge. Especially heading into the holidays.

Side note, visited my local Apple store yesterday for the 5S case and played with the 5C for a few minutes. It feels amazing. I was kinda surprised at how solid it feels.

Not to say sales won't be huge but meeting demand at this point could mean one of two things.

Just to be clear.

• Reply 6 of 25
    Not to say sales won't be huge but meeting demand at this point could mean one of two things.

Just to be clear.

Yes, I understand - but opening weekend saw 9 millllllioonnn sales. :-)
  • Reply 7 of 25
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    allenbf wrote: »

I played with the 5C as well and it didn't feel cheap at all. It felt solid. I'm still getting a 5S.

Just to be clear.

There was still a line for the 5S at one of my local Apple Stores on Saturday.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Yes, I understand - but opening weekend saw 9 millllllioonnn sales. :-)

And that was no 'rounding error'.

Geez, I'm actually gonna miss this Baller guy!
  • Reply 9 of 25
    My gold 32GB 4S just shipped this morning with an Oct. 8 delivery (ordered midnight on the 20th). Tried also to help a friend buy 5c at local Apple Store on Saturday but there was a line outside. I asked why and was told they got a shipment of 5s' and to take a voucher and get in line. When I told them I only wanted a 5c she said then you don't need a voucher but you do need to stand in line. After 15 minutes of no line movement we gave up and I told my friend how to order online.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    I ordered my iphone 5S from AT&T online at 12:01am September 20th when they first went on sale and it still had not arrived yet.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    jd_in_sb wrote: »
    I ordered my iphone 5S from AT&T online at 12:01am September 20th when they first went on sale and it still had not arrived yet.

At least one of my local Verizon stores had the 5S in stock on Saturday. Doesn't seem to be rhyme or reason for why there's carrier or 3rd party stock in some places ready to go but on-line may say that delivery is two weeks out. or more. I would think it more fair that any shipments go to those who had already ordered rather than walk-ins.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    At least one of my local Verizon stores had the 5S in stock on Saturday. Doesn't seem to be rhyme or reason for why there's carrier or 3rd party stock in some places ready to go but on-line may say that delivery is two weeks out. or more. I would think it more fair that any shipments go to those who had already ordered rather than walk-ins.

iPhones don't get shipped from the stores, they get shipped from a distribution center.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheesehead Dave View Post

For what it's worth, the next shipment of phones must have reached the US. I ordered a 32GB gold 5S from an AT&T store at 8:00 AM on launch day, long after the Apple Store was reporting "October" as a delivery date. over the weekend I got a notification from FedEx that it would be delivered today.

Nice! I bet you are excited : )

I ordered the following Monday at the AT&T store (64GB Gold) and I hope it ships soon! 

• Reply 14 of 25
    jungmark wrote: »
    iPhones don't get shipped from the stores, they get shipped from a distribution center.

I realize that. It doesn't explain why stock is going to stores rather than shipping to customers who already ordered.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I realize that. It doesn't explain why stock is going to stores rather than shipping to customers who already ordered.

Up-selling accessories and other crap. Lots of folks still go to stores to buy phones.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

No, no, no! Ya gottit all wrong! “If Apple is already able to meet demand for Personal Pickup, sales this quarter are going to be TERRIBLE! This proves that no one is buying the iPhone, and so they have to offer it through a bunch of obscure venues to try to get people to buy one!” :p

• Reply 17 of 25
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, no, no! Ya gottit all wrong! “If Apple is already able to meet demand for Personal Pickup, sales this quarter are going to be TERRIBLE! This proves that no one is buying the iPhone, and so they have to offer it through a bunch of obscure venues to try to get people to buy one!” :p

Agreed. It's more channel stuffing.

• Reply 18 of 25
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Up-selling accessories and other crap. Lots of folks still go to stores to buy phones.

Please the only people buying phones at Apple stores at this point are the scalpers. 

• Reply 19 of 25
    If Apple is already able to meet demand enough to open up Personal Pickup,

It's less about being able to meet demand and more about slowing down the flood of folks calling and coming to the store to see if there is stock and getting pissy when there isn't. Now they can go online and see for themselves and know they will get the phone because they already bought it.

This perhaps should just be the way that it is for launch. Perhaps then they could stem the tide of resellers because the system could watch do repeat Apple ID, credit card etc. They could bar all device only sales for the first couple of weeks to slow it down a bit more. And no walkins.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    . When I told them I only wanted a 5c she said then you don't need a voucher but you do need to stand in line. After 15 minutes of no line movement we gave up and I told my friend how to order online.

It's the same staff, same fire code etc regardless of what phone you want. So you stand in line.