Apple releases OS X 10.8.5 Mountain Lion maintenance update, fixes Mail and file transfers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46

Updated so far:

Mid 2007 Macbook Pro

Early 2008 Macbook "unibody"

Early 2008 iMac

2013 Macbook Air "Haswell"

No problems so far.  My wife reports the MBA updated very quickly.  The older machines took several minutes. :(

• Reply 22 of 46
    This update just made a major mess of my laptop. It took forever to install. Then it took twice as long as that to reboot. Now it takes 2 minutes for anything to load. Mail and Safari took well over 3 minutes to load. I've rebooted the machine at least 4 times. Each time it takes 1-2 minutes to get to my desktop. Mail is running dog slow. Just great. Bring on Mavericks. Quick!
  • Reply 23 of 46

It's you.

• Reply 24 of 46

Yay! Updates for my beloved Snow Leopard!

• Reply 25 of 46
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    It would be nice if AI could get into habit of listing build numbers in news of this sort.

Particularly developers with prereleases need know since often the last PR is idental to the release version.
  • Reply 26 of 46
    It's flying on my iMac
  • Reply 27 of 46

installed the new update, and now it takes 20 minutes for the machine to actually boot .

does anyone know of this issue and or how to get my machine functioning ?

• Reply 28 of 46
    wake wrote: »
    installed the new update, and now it takes 20 minutes for the machine to actually boot .

Re-install OSX, restore data from backup. That sounds drastic, but looking into the problem will likely result in way more time and effort. A re-install takes like 15 minutes or something. Data, of course, depends.

PS never heard of a Mac boottime of 20 minutes. It either boots or not. Please post that 20'00'' video, I've got nothing better to do.
  • Reply 29 of 46
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by wake View Post

Re-install OSX, restore data from backup. That sounds drastic, but looking into the problem will likely result in way more time and effort. A re-install takes like 15 minutes or something. Data, of course, depends.

PS never heard of a Mac boottime of 20 minutes. It either boots or not. Please post that 20'00'' video, I've got nothing better to do.

Sounds like some sort of disk corruption, possibly.

Either boot in safe-mode, then reboot, and/or boot in recovery mode, and run Disk Utility, and repair your boot partition.

A first-time reboot after a software install can take longer, because a bunch of caches are being rebuilt, but 20m sounds excessive.

• Reply 30 of 46

thanks to all your responses so far

this happens every time i re boot. the issue first occurred after the 10.8.4 update, I went through what you have explained then but to no avail. so we did a complete wipe, re installed the original OSX that came with the machine. Everything has been sweet since, until update 10.8.5. two days ago.

I will attempt the advice offered, and i thank you all for that most sincerely.

a 20 min video ..hmmm if you insist

wish me luck

• Reply 31 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

Sounds like some sort of disk corruption, possibly.

Either boot in safe-mode, then reboot, and/or boot in recovery mode, and run Disk Utility, and repair your boot partition.

A first-time reboot after a software install can take longer, because a bunch of caches are being rebuilt, but 20m sounds excessive.

thanks to all your responses so far

this happens every time i re boot. the issue first occurred after the 10.8.4 update, I went through what you have explained then but to no avail. so we did a complete wipe, re installed the original OSX that came with the machine. Everything has been sweet since, until update 10.8.5. two days ago.

I will attempt the advice offered, and i thank you all for that most sincerely.

a 20 min video ..hmmm if you insist

wish me luck

• Reply 32 of 46
    Any idea why this would still not be showing up for me? I'm on 10.8.4. Mid-2010 15" MBP. App Store just says No Updates.
    :\
  • Reply 33 of 46
    My late 2012 Mac mini loses audio via HDMI to my VIZIO TV every time it wakes from sleep! Tried repairs from DU and combo 10.8.5 reinstall to no avail! I have to reboot each time to correct it! According to Apple forum, many others have same problem. :-/
  • Reply 34 of 46
    My late 2012 Mac mini loses audio via HDMI to my VIZIO TV every time it wakes from sleep! Tried repairs from DU and combo 10.8.5 reinstall to no avail! I have to reboot each time to correct it! According to Apple forum, many others have same problem. :-/

Ooh, thanks for that info! I also have a Mini under the TV, running 10.8.4 and it looks like I'll leave it at that as I don't have any issues with OSX (don't use Mail and such anyhoo, just VLC)

Good luck with your issue, hope you can fix it soon.
  • Reply 35 of 46
    You're welcome Phil and smart to hold off.
    BTW, someone posted that this problem doesn't exist in 10.9 so wait until Maverick is released.
  • Reply 36 of 46

I, and hundreds (thousands?) of Mac mini users are STILL awaiting for the 10.8.5 Supplemental Update that will fix the HDMI waking from sleep audio glitch!!  

As a long time Apple advocate since my Mac Classic days, it now seems Apple's priority is with having to- again-  fix iOS 7 with rumored 7.0.3 Update before tending to us.   And with iTunes Radio going down as well the other day, does it seem to you that Apple is getting sloppy with its software releases lately or is it just me?

I hope Maverick is ready before they release that!  :-/

• Reply 37 of 46
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Mac Daddy Zee View Post

I, and hundreds (thousands?) of Mac mini users

No, you’re not. Uh, what bugs? Elaborate (to Apple) or, really, why complain?

• Reply 38 of 46
    I did elaborate in an online chat to Apple Support and had to school the "Genius" by sending him a Grab from the 9 to 5 Mac site showing the multiple bugs the Prerelease 10.8.5 SU description listed as being able to resolve. BTW, I didn't blame the tech but Apple for not giving him a heads up on it and for not releasing stable software like they did before Jobs passed.
  • Reply 39 of 46
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Mac Daddy Zee View Post

not releasing stable software like they did before Jobs passed.

Get over it.

• Reply 40 of 46
    Don't hate the player TS...hate THE GAME! Obviously you settle for mediocrity and/or don't get my point.