iPhone 5c, 5s launch on Virgin Mobile for $100 less than Apple pricing

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

There's no such thing as a unlocked CDMA phone.

Ture. Unless, however, this has been changed from the iPhone 5, the iPhone supports GSM and CDMA. Not sure the policy now, but Verizon and Sprint will upon request unlock the SIM for the GSM network. So, you will be locked on the CDMA network, but unlocked on GSM. Just pop a SIM in. However, carrier specific phones are optimized via software for particular networks. 

• Reply 22 of 32
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I see. I suppose that maybe there's no point in having one, as I said in my first post, but I wasn't aware that there was no such a thing.

So why would somebody buy the $550 iPhone from Sprint then? Just to be on no contract, but your phone is still tied for life to Sprint? Sounds like a bum deal.

With GSM phones like T-Mobile and AT&T a SIM card is used. The phone is locked via software through Apple. If a GSM phone is unlocked, you can easily switch networks just by putting in a SIM card from the different network. CDMA phones do not use a SIM card. The phones, not the SIM card, are hard wired to the network. iPhones, however, have a baseband chip that supports GSM and CDMA. So, if you are on Sprint the CDMA part of the phone would be locked to Sprint, but it is possible to have the GSM part unlocked. 

• Reply 23 of 32
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Thanks for the explanation. For some reason, your text disappeared when quoting you.

If somebody is traveling overseas with a Sprint or Virgin iPhone, then how would they pop in a local GSM sim card, if their iPhone is unlocked? Is the sim card slot just empty on those CDMA phones?

• Reply 24 of 32
    tbell wrote: »

But what about a factory unlocked 5S or a T-Mobile unlocked 5S? Wouldn't that work on the Sprint CDMA or LTE network given that it is not only GSM unlocked but is also presumably CDMA unlocked (since it supports all frequencies)? So buy T-Mobile contract free 5S and sign up with Sprint later down the road?
  • Reply 25 of 32
    Although it remains to be seen, the previous Virgin Mobile iPhones were CDMA, but did have SIM card slots and could be unlocked to be used INTERNATIONALLY, but not domestically. Using one of those GEVEY card things you could use them domestically. Which answers the question posed by kharvel, they may have the hardware ability and all the chips, but are still prevented in software from going on to all networks.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I see. I suppose that maybe there's no point in having one, as I said in my first post, but I wasn't aware that there was no such a thing.

So why would somebody buy the $550 iPhone from Sprint then? Just to be on no contract, but your phone is still tied for life to Sprint? Sounds like a bum deal.

Where do you guys get this erroneous info from? I am with Sprint and have an unlocked iPhone that allows me to use it on practically every GSM network in the world except AT&T and T-Mobile in the U.S. 

Virgin Mobile USA along with Boost Mobile are also wholly owned subsidiaries of Sprint. They are in fact their pre-paid carriers. I cannot speak about whether a VM iPhone can be unlocked as easily as Sprint but with Sprint at least you simply call their international department, they look at your account to make sure your account is in good standing and unlock it on their end. Then you need to connect it to iTunes and reset it to factory settings and Apple does something on their end and it is then unlocked allowing you to use overseas once you buy a local SIM card. The Sprint iPhone has both CDMA and GSM as does the Verizon model.

I sold my unlocked Sprint iPhone 4S to a guy on Ebay in Tunisia in fact for a lot more money that I expected. I had also used it myself in over 6 countries without problems. I hope that clears things up. 

• Reply 27 of 32
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Thanks for the explanation. For some reason, your text disappeared when quoting you.

If somebody is traveling overseas with a Sprint or Virgin iPhone, then how would they pop in a local GSM sim card, if their iPhone is unlocked? Is the sim card slot just empty on those CDMA phones?

Those CDMA phones will still have a SIM because LTE is GSM based.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Sprint service is practically worthless nearly everywhere I have used it when you get indoors.

Sounds like AT&T. The moment I go inside my or my mom's house, boom, no signal. It truly sucks as I can't even use the phone as a backup for when my ISP goes out. And both houses are within 1 miles of major highways (I-95 for one and the PA Turnpike for the other) so there should be strong signal.

• Reply 29 of 32
    hexorhexor Posts: 57member

Will an iPhone get better reception then some cheap dumb phone?  I have a Kyocera phone on virigin mobile now and can not get service at my house.  I was wondering though if this is partly because of the cheap phone.  I do get service a few miles down the road.  

• Reply 30 of 32
    Most of the current advertisement are not working these days. Here is
    the new way to advertise - THE ART OF ADVERTISING - educate the people
    about your product/service and increase your sale instantaneously.

To learn more, please watch this short video:

For any questions, please write to [email protected]
  • Reply 31 of 32
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member

I Live in the UK, and was going to get a friend to bring an unlocked iPhone 5S when she visits me later in the month as it would save me over £100.

Could I get one of these Virgin Mobile phones and use my own GSM sim?

Do Virgin require you buy a month of service before you can activate?

Could I use it on GSM networks without activating it with Virgin?

Or just get an unlocked phone from Apple?  (Although these appear to be sold as T-Mobile phones, would any of the above questions apply?)

Thanks...

• Reply 32 of 32
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hexor View Post

Will an iPhone get better reception then some cheap dumb phone?  I have a Kyocera phone on virigin mobile now and can not get service at my house.  I was wondering though if this is partly because of the cheap phone.  I do get service a few miles down the road.  

I have a Kyocera Rise with Virgin Mobile. I get no reception at my house - but do a few blocks away (we live in a coverage hole). I picked up a 5c last night on Sprint. Still have very little signal.

One nice thing Sprint has is the Airave - a mini-cell tower that communicates over your internet connection. My neighbor has one and is pleased. If I can't get Sprint to give me one for free, I'm returning the iPhone and switching to Verizon. When we compared plans, Sprint was a few hundred dollars cheaper than Verizon over the two-year term. Having to buy and mess with an Airave erases that advantage.

- Jasen.

P.S. Wow! Buying a cell phone and plan is complicated. For what we want, they were all within $20-30/month of each other, but that turns into real money over two years.