Reuters: Retina iPad mini may not launch in 2013 due to supply constraints

Comments

• Reply 41 of 71
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Well said

Let's hope Apple is buying back boatloads of its stock to take advantage of this massive discount

60B

• Reply 42 of 71
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MattBookAir View Post

Who says a delayed mini release wasn't the plan all along. Apple certainly never declared any intention to release both a new iPad and mini at the same time.

They didn't, but it's safe to say it is going to happen and this story is full of shit.

• Reply 43 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

This guy has been right a lot. People always want to doubt him though.

He's most recent prediction, the one about the MacBook Pro in June was wrong.

• Reply 44 of 71
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    ireland wrote: »
    The res is different. But it doesn't matter because we know hindsight will prove this story to be bullshit.
    I doubt this is the case but I'd love it if Apple was doing this on purpose just to mess with people and then a couple weeks from now we get keynote where Apple shows off silver, gold and space gray retina mini's with touch ID. I think the competition would shit their pants if that happened.
  • Reply 45 of 71
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I doubt this is the case but I'd love it if Apple was doing this on purpose just to mess with people and then a couple weeks from now we get keynote where Apple shows off silver, gold and space gray retina mini's with touch ID. I think the competition would shit their pants if that happened.

Weren't they supposed to crap their pants last year?
  • Reply 46 of 71

I wouldn't be surprised. One of the regrets from last year Tim had was releasing the new iMac too early and then having shortages. 

• Reply 47 of 71
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    rogifan wrote: »
    How come other companies don't seem to have a problem making 7-8" tablets with retina like displays? According to AnandTech the new Nexus 7 gets 12 hours battery life. And Apple can produce 3.5", 4" and 9.7" retina displays but somehow 7.9" is impossible? Except it will magically become possible in 2014? Either Reuters is full of it or Apple has a real problem.

Reuters is full of it. Wasn't the 5S supply suppose to be constrained too? 5-7 MM 5s's later...
  • Reply 48 of 71
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

If this is true, it shows huge problems for Apple. Supply constraints have been a problem for Apple (iMac) in the past. If Apple with it's locked up vendors and billions of $ cash cannot get a working supply chain to build its products it has a serious problem. Can't make the product, people will buy crap products instead. Apple is best, but it's not better than nothing.

Yes, yes, we all know Apple is doomed. It's just a matter of time before they assume room temperature. Apple's problems are always HUGE aren't they? So huge they portend the impending Apple apocalypse every time they pop up. But somehow the company manages to slog along anyway. It is difficult, however, hauling around those garbage bags full of cash. Poor Apple. If only they had a supply chain genius at the helm. Oh wait...

• Reply 49 of 71
    I don't care when it comes out, I know I can't wait to get an iPad Mini!
  • Reply 50 of 71
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Reuters is full of it. Wasn't the 5S supply suppose to be constrained too? 5-7 MM 5s's later...

"Grotesquely low" was one description used.  Supplies may have been tight, but "grotesquely low" was quite an exaggeration unless talking only about the gold and silver models.

My best guess:  Apple will hold a mid-October event announcing iPad 5 and iPad Mini 2.  iPad 5 will be available within 10 days of announcement.  iPad Mini 2 will have a release date one to six weeks after that.  (I'll go out on a limb and predict 11/15/13.)  As long as Apple gets it out by Black Friday they will hit the Christmas shopping season which I would think is super important for the Mini.  Oh, and the Mini 2 will have a retina display, A7/A7X, and Touch ID ... boom!

• Reply 51 of 71
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    A 16GB iPad mini to complement the mini 2 with an upgraded SoC - A6 instead of A5 and available in the same anodized colours as the iPod touch, selling for below the $300 mark would be a big hit I think.
  • Reply 52 of 71
    charlituna wrote: »
    These 'delay' and 'supply' rumors happen with every iOS device launch. And never come to pass.

It's stock value games and analysts etc covering their butts. They have been pushing the idea of a retina mini for weeks and now they are getting nervous that they were wrong. But it's against their code of conduct to ever actually say they were wrong so they are setting up an explanation for why it might not happen in case it doesn't.

These folks don't have any info to back up anything. If there in no retina display it's because Apple never intended to do it this year. And yet Apple will still likely sell record millions on launch etc

That's why I started with "If"

On the other hand supply issues were definite with the iMac last year. There may be supply issues with the 5s on the fingerprint scanner.
  • Reply 53 of 71
    ireland wrote: »
    Keeping supply a little tight at times is one of the oldest tricks in the book. There's a fine balance between have enough and having too much. Besides, seeing as they can't make their phones too far in advance and at the end of the day they don't know how many of each model people are going to order, making 9 million phones in a short period of time is not easy.

Even Cook cited supply issues with the iMac and acknowledged is caused sales of iMacs to go way down. Apple doesn't need to keep supplies tight as they sell at a fixed price whether they have 1 million or 10 million units available.
  • Reply 54 of 71
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Yes, yes, we all know Apple is doomed. It's just a matter of time before they assume room temperature. Apple's problems are always HUGE aren't they? So huge they portend the impending Apple apocalypse every time they pop up. But somehow the company manages to slog along anyway. It is difficult, however, hauling around those garbage bags full of cash. Poor Apple. If only they had a supply chain genius at the helm. Oh wait...

Try reading. I started with "If". Look it up in a dictionary.

Second, google Tim Cook's comments on the iMac and it's supply issues. Oh wait, Apple isn't perfect?
  • Reply 55 of 71
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I wouldn't be surprised. One of the regrets from last year Tim had was releasing the new iMac too early and then having shortages. 

Announcing, not releasing. Had they so much as given preorders during that entire quarter they didn’t, people probably would have felt a little better about it. Still, they should have held off the announcement, at least for a while. “And it ships today!” is one of Apple’s most powerful weapons.

• Reply 56 of 71
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Supply constraints? Maybe. Maybe not. But if there really are supply constraints, don't blame suppliers. Blame Tim Cook. Supply chain control is only thing he's supposed to be good at and he can't even carry that out properly. Larry Page of Google got the HD displays on their Nexus 7 on time. Jeff Bezos of Amazon was able to get the HD displays on their Kindle HDXs on time. Which CEO is going to get their HD panels late? Mr. Tim "Late Again" Cook. It figures. Google's share price is still climbing. Amazon's share price is still climbing like no tomorrow. Tim Cook gives Wall Street another reason to keep Apple's share price in the red for 2013.

It's getting almost impossible for Apple to give Wall Street any reasons to boost Apple's share price. From an OS that makes users vomit to supply constraints, it's always something getting screwed up at Apple. Tim Cook might as well take the blame because he's the CEO. Apple is sitting on a mountain of cash and can't figure out how to ramp up production quickly enough. It's not like Tim Cook didn't know Christmas was coming this year. There'll be no return of Apple's share price to $700 this year. It will be lucky to get to $500 with a stiff tailwind. Thanks, Tim. You left Apple shareholders holding an empty bag again.

You're too nervous to mess around in the stock market.

And does anyone seriously believe this 'vomit' crap? If using the iPhone makes you vomit then it's probably more to do with the bottle of Tequila you drank while you were playing Angry Birds.

• Reply 57 of 71

Waiting to buy four 32GB space gray retina ipad minis........and waiting......and waiting.

It'll be worth it though

• Reply 58 of 71
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

OK I'd love to see Apple PR explain all that to consumers who will have ads shoved in their face and read reviews telling them that the Kindle and Nexus 7 devices have much better displays and are cheaper. If there really are these incredible engineering issues that Apple and their display partners haven't been able to solve for then I hope Apple doesn't update the mini this fall (except swapping slate for space gray) and just knocks down the price.

What are they supposed to do? Invent unicorn-powered batteries that can power a 35% bigger retina display (vs. the Nexus 7) for the same volume without reducing battery life or making the device heavier or thicker? Pay billions to compensate for the lower yields of a bigger screen to be able to produce 10 millions of them but reducing their margins to zero and then look at their stock value go down toward zero?

I guess Apple is doomed then because they can't compete on price with profitless products from Google and Amazon?

Yes I can see them dropping the price on the non-retina mini if they don't release the retina version this year, but Apple has almost always been undercut by price and specs of competing products anyway, this is nothing new.

• Reply 59 of 71
    daphreev wrote: »
    I don't care when it comes out, I know I can't wait to get an iPad Mini!

You just contradicted yourself in the space of a single sentence.
  • Reply 60 of 71
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    vl-tone wrote: »
    Yes I can see them dropping the price on the non-retina mini if they don't release the retina version this year, but Apple has almost always been undercut by price and specs of competing products anyway, this is nothing new.

I would agree with this when we're talking about specs for specs sake. But I don't put a retina display in that category, Just today Dell announced a new Ultrabook with Macbook Pro like high res display and 13 hour battery life. Which begs the question, could Apple product a rMBP in an Air like form factor? Because it appears that Windows OEM's aren't having problems doing it with Ultrabooks.