Asus, HTC, LG and other Android licensees join Samsung in faking test results

Comments

• Reply 21 of 141
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member

Right now, the tech pundit sites are furiously thinking how they might be able to blame Apple for this.

• Reply 22 of 141
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member

The doping mentality of tour de france bikers has infected nearly all major android OEMs.

• Reply 23 of 141
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

Right now, the tech pundit sites are furiously thinking how they might be able to blame Apple for this.

“If Apple hadn’t created a phone that was faster than all of ours, we wouldn’t have had to lie about our benchmarks!”

• Reply 24 of 141
    davebarnes wrote: »
    Whatever.
    How many people actually BUY a phone based on benchmarks?
    One or three?

The people whose self-esteem depends on it.
  • Reply 25 of 141
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    Whatever.
    One or three?

I'd say it's quite low, but I'd also say the number of buyers who would buy because of artificial benchmarks over usability are higher than the the number of people that wouldn't buy because of doping their chips to perform better when certain tests are noticed. Because of that I would doubt there will be enough bad press generated that would force them to stop doing it.
  • Reply 26 of 141
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

Whatever.

One or three?

Probably more than you think. And it doesn't matter how many do, it's still lying.

It's like bragging about the engine in your Viper and then raising the hood to find a weedeater engine and an mp3 player playing sounds of a muscle car.

• Reply 27 of 141
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The people whose self-esteem depends on it.

You are funny.

I doubt the mainstream media will care about this.

So cheating does pay.

• Reply 28 of 141
    mauszmausz Posts: 243member
    A few years ago NVidia and ATI where doing the same thing I remember.

And how do we know this is not also happening on iOS ? iOS (non-jailbreak) lacks the tools to detect these kind of things.

Edit : Found my answer in the comments from Anand :

"We have some internal tools to poke around at frequency, A7 appears to behave honestly. I explored this issue with engineers at a couple of different companies who were also interested in finding out the answer. Finally, much of what I used to characterize the A6/A7 aren't publicly available, so there's no gaming there.

The bigger concern is how much optimization for the web browsing tests exists in Browser.apk, Chrome and Mobile Safari. Like I said in the article, this is going to get a lot more difficult to detect."
  • Reply 29 of 141
    Anand has been unusually vocal in the comments section of his article: http://www.anandtech.com/comments/7384/state-of-cheating-in-android-benchmarks

[INDENT][B]Anand Lal Shimpi[/B] - Wednesday, October 02, 2013

[INDENT]"Our plan is to just switch to privately named tests, both old and new. If the OEMs don't know what we're running, they can't optimize for it.

We do something similar on the SSD side, and honestly it's where I'd like to end up, where we have benchmarks that even the OEMs don't have. It's a taller (and more expensive) order for mobile but something I'm still trying to pursue."[/INDENT][/INDENT]
  • Reply 30 of 141
    I don't understand all that; some of my friends have 'droids and they seem slow to me and probably the slowest part of the equation is the user - man it takes them forever to complete a task and not one person knows now to import a vcard or send one.
  • Reply 31 of 141
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member
    Quote:

Whatever.

One or three?

I wonder how many trolls (not referring to you, please) troll about benchmarks?

• Reply 32 of 141
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    mhikl wrote: »
    Par for the course. These cats are scared, coming out of denial painfully aware that iOS's got their number and is many places to the left of their dismal trail.

Hootenanny on the horizon and Androiders not invited.

A hootenanny like this?

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 33 of 141
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Ooh can anyone say ""Class Action Suit? Or does their "sales" not add up to enough real people to form a "class"?
  • Reply 34 of 141
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Why am I not surprised, all along Android has been built on lying.

"We didn't steal Java."

"We didn't copy Apple."

etc, etc , etc.

• Reply 35 of 141
    hill60 wrote: »
    Why am I not surprised, all along Android has been built on lying.

"We didn't steal Java."

"We didn't copy Apple."

etc, etc , etc.

Note that Google (and Motorola and Nvidia) are the only ones on the list of tested vendors that aren't doping their chips for benchmark tests.
  • Reply 36 of 141
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Absolutely love the title of the first table, "I Can't Believe I Have to Make This Table"

LOL

• Reply 37 of 141
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Whatever.
    One or three?

Enough to make Samsung, Asus, HTC, LG, and others cheat on the benchmarks.
  • Reply 38 of 141
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Ooh can anyone say ""Class Action Suit? Or does their "sales" not add up to enough real people to form a "class"?

Fandroids have no class to start with.

• Reply 39 of 141
    Quote:

Whatever.

One or three?

Fandroids routinely trot around benchmark numbers to pump up their self esteem against the "sheeple" that buy iPhones.  Any time some new generic Android phone #32343 is released they are all furiously hitting F5 on their favorite websites to see the benchmark numbers that they can use to crow about.  Now that it's shown that most of the companies are cheating at these benchmarks we are hearing all these excuses about "everyone does it!!" and "no one buys on benchmarks!!", etc etc.

• Reply 40 of 141
    aylkaylk Posts: 54member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Baker View Post

Notice the similarity? American companies such as Apple and Google have a higher ethical standard and Asian companies lie and cheat regularly. Different cultures.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight... just like American energy companies, or American "agricultural" biotecnological companies, or American pharmaceutical companies. Paramount examples of ethical standards in the country and around the world...