Asus, HTC, LG and other Android licensees join Samsung in faking test results

Comments

• Reply 61 of 141
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    :err:

Of course you'd deny it.

http://www.cnx-software.com/2012/11/24/list-of-android-benchmarks-and-software-optimizations-results-analysis/
    You may have seen the demo that shows Linaro Android is 100% faster than Stock Android on TI Pandaboard. Finally, the massive performance improvement was due to another benchmark software (oxBench) that use vsync to render images, where a small increase in actual performance may lead to a doubling of the fps. Still the optimization work at Linaro does pay off, and they provided some other results with AOSP + Linaro Patches build on Panda 4460 measured
    with 3.2 TILT stable kernel vs AOSP build with 3.2 kernel:
    Antutu RAM 21 %
    CaffeineMark String 24 %
    Quadrant Mem 81 %
    Antutu Float 10 %
    0xBench Sunspider 10 %
    0xBench DrawArc,DrawCircle,DrawRect >40 %
    0xBench Garbage Collection 11 %
    Vellamo Sunspider 14 %
    Vellamo V8 Benchmark 8 %
  • Reply 62 of 141
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    jragosta wrote: »
    Denying it?? I was trying to figure out what the heck you were talking about. So you were bringing up forked OS's and custom Linux builds using Android code as the basis then. :\
    You made it sound as tho you were claiming Google Android versions were gaming the tests. Gotcha tho I've no idea how that's pertinent to the discussion.
  • Reply 63 of 141
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member

The only "they" that should be used are those listed by AnandTech as doping their results. I haven't read anything about these companies killing or even staling other Android services in order to run these benchmarks. Since Android is open (small laugh) one can do whatever they want to optimize it which likely has implementations that are very specific like the Samsung Galaxy Gear watch (bigger laugh) which doesn't need most default Android services as part of the OS.
  • Reply 64 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JustSomDude View Post

Also do you guys really think buying a certain phone makes you better than other people?

Nope, that's left to the Fandroids.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stylorouge View Post

Lol iPhone is ancient compared to android phones. Samsung has already in the market 8 core CPU iPhone dual core still. There's no competition sorry.

Since when is the ARMv8 CPU and Power Series 6 6430 GPU "ancient"? Funny that an "ancient" iPhone can match or beat the Note 3 which has twice the cores, with cores whose clock rate during normal operation is 40% higher, and has more than twice the memory,

• Reply 65 of 141
    Does anyone using a tablet or smart phone care about benchmarks? That's a PC way of thinking what a customer wants. I remember the old Norton benchmarks... that's back when chip speeds actually made noticeable jumps. Now, the latest iMac has a 3.5Ghz processor (and I am stuck at 3.4Ghz). Oh boy.

I never pays to chase after the spec-hounds... they'll buy your gadget, then never pay another penny for software... they'll just hack away...
  • Reply 66 of 141
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondYourFrontDoor View Post

Does anyone using a tablet or smart phone care about benchmarks?

Yep, benchmarks are typical wank material for Fandroids.

• Reply 67 of 141
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stylorouge View Post

Lol iPhone is ancient compared to android phones. Samsung has already in the market 8 core CPU iPhone dual core still. There's no competition sorry.

Samsung doesn't even have 64bit, and won't for a long time.

They still use a yellow daisy as an icon representing a group of photos, still stuck in Apple's yesterday since they copied that on the Galaxy S.

• Reply 68 of 141
    Quote:

So I guess you haven't seen (you'll like this) Anand's benchmarks of the poor little 5s dual-core chip blowing away a lot of testosterone-laden quad-cores, huh?

• Reply 69 of 141
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member
    Quote:

Sad thing about that is the iPhone 5s kicks that 8 core samsung phones ass in benchmarks.  And the 5s does it without doping the processor with os tweeks like GS4.

And by the way the exynos 8 core only uses 4 cores at a time stock.  It either uses the 4 stock a15 arm cores high power mode or the 4 stock a7 arm cores low power mode.  Samsung is using ARM's Big Little architecture to put 8 cores together.

You really need to research more before you post.

• Reply 70 of 141
    mikejones wrote: »
    Yep, benchmarks are typical wank material for Fandroids.

So I guess you haven't seen (you'll like this) Anand's benchmarks of the poor little 5s dual-core chip blowing away a lot of testosterone-laden quad-cores, huh?

mechanic wrote: »
    Sad thing about that is the iPhone 5s kicks that 8 core samsung phones ass inbenchmarks.  And the 5s does it without doping the processor with os tweeks like GS4.
    :\
  • Reply 71 of 141
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

:D

• Reply 72 of 141

I love this site and I'm addicted.  It's like the Daily Mail of tech sites with its rampant frothing of the mouth at everything against Apple. 

Seriously though?  Why so much hate?  The iPhone is the best smartphone in the world and the iPad is the best tablet.  Are our lives so devoid of happiness we have to foam at the mouth at Android or Blackberry or Windows Phone?  At the end of the day what anyone says on here doesn't matter one iota really.  99.99% of people in the world aren't "fandroids" or "isheep" as they buy their phones or tablets on personal choice.  Saying people who buy Android phones are cheap is a sweeping statement which is entirely baseless.  Like people who buy iPhones are hipsters.  At the end of the day what we post on here is utterly meaningless as the majority of the population does what it wants.  So why so much hate?

• Reply 73 of 141
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    Apple is doomed!
  • Reply 74 of 141
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    akqies wrote: »
    The only "they" that should be used are those listed by AnandTech as doping their results. I haven't read anything about these companies killing or even staling other Android services in order to run these benchmarks. Since Android is open (small laugh) one can do whatever they want to optimize it which likely has implementations that are very specific like the Samsung Galaxy Gear watch (bigger laugh) which doesn't need most default Android services as part of the OS.

Published Geekbench results are regularly done on hacked Android versions that have been modified specifically to run benchmarks - at the expense of actually doing anything useful.

Just another example of why Android benchmarks shouldn't be trusted.
  • Reply 75 of 141
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by party pants View Post

I love this site and I'm addicted.  It's like the Daily Mail of tech sites with its rampant frothing of the mouth at everything against Apple. 

Seriously though?  Why so much hate?  The iPhone is the best smartphone in the world and the iPad is the best tablet.  Are our lives so devoid of happiness we have to foam at the mouth at Android or Blackberry or Windows Phone?  At the end of the day what anyone says on here doesn't matter one iota really.  99.99% of people in the world aren't "fandroids" or "isheep" as they buy their phones or tablets on personal choice.  Saying people who buy Android phones are cheap is a sweeping statement which is entirely baseless.  Like people who buy iPhones are hipsters.  At the end of the day what we post on here is utterly meaningless as the majority of the population does what it wants.  So why so much hate?

Maybe people don't like cheats.

You play the game you play fair, based on merit and some scumbag comes along and throws a spanner in the works by cheating.

Cheats, in any field are deserving of scorn and hate.

• Reply 76 of 141
    stylorouge wrote: »
    Is this an Apple blog? Lol. No problem you convinced me with your bias reports only iPhone is the best phone ever! Is it true that the new iPhone has a fake 64bit CPU manufactured by Samsung ? If Samsung is faking benchmarks so does it mean all the benchmarks for the iPhone 5S are fake too?

Try again
  • Reply 77 of 141
    Published Geekbench results are regularly done on hacked Android versions that have been modified specifically to run benchmarks - at the expense of actually doing anything useful.

Just another example of why Android benchmarks shouldn't be trusted.

Again, you're apparently referring to OS'es other than Google Android. AFAIK there's not any truncated versions of it modified to beat benchmarks. If you have an example of a specially-crafted Google Android version being used by any member of the OHA to fool benchmark tests I'd be first to admit you're right.
  • Reply 78 of 141
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by party pants View Post

Are our lives so devoid of happiness we have to foam at the mouth at Android or Blackberry or Windows Phone?

Yeah, humans tend not to be okay when lies are perpetrated unpunished.

At the end of the day what anyone says on here doesn't matter one iota really.

And that’s wrong.

99.99% of people in the world aren't "fandroids" or "isheep" as they buy their phones or tablets on personal choice.

So you’re fine with ~50% of that choice being built on a foundation of lies?

Saying people who buy Android phones are cheap is a sweeping statement which is entirely baseless.  Like people who buy iPhones are hipsters.

Well, at least that’s true.

At the end of the day what we post on here is utterly meaningless

Once again, incorrect.

• Reply 79 of 141
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Yeah, humans tend not to be okay when lies are perpetrated unpunished.

Huh? Did you mean perpetually?
  • Reply 80 of 141
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Huh? Did you mean perpetually?

Nope.