iPhone-compatible Narrative wearable camera to begin shipping Nov. 1

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Swedish company Memoto has rebranded as Narrative and is launching its first product, a tiny, iPhone-compatible, wearable camera called the Narrative Clip, set to ship to Kickstarter backers and those who preordered starting Nov. 1.

Narrative

Introduced last year in a successful Kickstarter campaign as a "lifeblogging" device, the Narrative Clip is a wearable camera that automatically snaps pictures of a user's life as it happens. It takes two geotagged pictures per minute at a resolution of 5-megapixels, and the camera's internals can tell which way it is oriented so that they will always be displayed right side up. Those same internals also let the camera know to stop taking pictures when it is taken off or put into a pocket.

The device has no physical controls, instead relying on its automatic settings. Narrative says its battery will last for roughly two days of use on a single charge, after which a user can recharge it by connecting it to a computer.

Included in the purchase of the camera is a year-long subscription to Narrative's online storage system. Narrative claims that users photos are "securely saved, accessible at a moment's notice, and organized using our state-of-the-art smart system." After the first year, access to the online storage service runs $9 per month. For that, users keep the automatic organizational system, can access Narrative's apps for viewing and sharing, and have enough storage for normal everyday use of the Narrative Clip.

Narrative is also building an iOS app to complement its diminutive camera. That app will organize photos so that users can explore multiple years' worth of life-logged photos.

Memoto's rebirth as Narrative came as a result of market conflicts with companies with the same name, but the firm kept its goal of a small, wearable life-logging tool. In announcing the name change and the Narrative Clip's launch, the company also touted the recent conclusion of a $3 million funding round.

The Narrative Clip is now available for preorder at Narrative's site. The device, available in three colors, sells for $279. The first shipments are expected in November.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    And we are one small step closer to http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0364343/
  • Reply 2 of 8
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Cheaper than Google Glass. Oooh, creepy stalkers will love this product. Calm down, I'm not saying anyone who wants this is a creepy stalker.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Sounds kind of cool. The recharging every 2 days and $9/mo might be a hurdle though.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    I really like this product. Wouldn't ever buy it, but would love to see "A day in the life" of my wife or kids... or maybe dog. lol
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Nice
    Good
    Great
    $9 umm not great but not a dealbreaker.
    $279 holy s### I will pass imessege me when it gets down to $99
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Cheaper than Google Glass. Oooh, creepy stalkers will love this product. Calm down, I'm not saying anyone who wants this is a creepy stalker.

Other good thing over the glass would be the staring off into space fun ... I mean are they paying attention to you, staring at you, lost in thought, gone bonkers, just reading the news... This would be nice, clip and go. Just sayin.

• Reply 7 of 8
    Q:is this legal to have with you

This seems great, has a potential, I think I have seen iPhone apps that will do this (using iPhone camera)but they don't have cloud storage. $279 I was hoping $100 not $40 less than an IPad mini but I guess its new...
  • Reply 8 of 8
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    All in all, sounds terrible and over priced.

The DXG DVS-5K8 would be better if you just want to capture time lapsed stills.