Apple announces new OS X Mavericks build to AppleSeed members, drops 'Developer Preview' status

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday notified members of its AppleSeed program that a new build OS X 10.9 Mavericks was available for download, but this time the messages contained no mention of "Developer Preview," prompting some to speculate that work on the next-generation Mac operating system is nearing completion.

Mavericks

The latest Mavericks beta, dubbed Build 13A598, comes just over two weeks after the previous version was seeded in mid-September.

People familiar with the seed note the email no longer contains the words "Developer Preview," as did all previous versions up to this point. As seen above, the title has been changed to "OS X Mavericks."

As with the most recent developer previews, today's seed comes with no major changes to the forthcoming OS, people familiar with the release said.

When Apple launches OS X 10.9 Mavericks later this fall, it will come with iBooks, Finder Tabs, Maps, App Nap and Compressed Memory, among other new features.

Members of the AppleSeed program can download the OS X 10.9 Mavericks via Software Update in the Mac App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    Good. Stop stalling and release the rMBP refresh now.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Not showing up in Software Update for me, yet.

Hope to God Apple has the foresight to give Mavericks away for free.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    jessijessi Posts: 302member
    Hmmm.... maybe it's time to try upgrading... I think I'll wait for the GM though. I need rock solid stability to get work done.... but I'm excited about getting Mavericks.

Though I still hate the name.

Is there a city in california named "iceaman" by any chance?
  • Reply 4 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

On stage at iPad event. (Oct 15?)

• Reply 5 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It would be nice to get it for free.  I worry that if it becomes free it will go the way of the original Mac OS-- where updates were always free, but not really very compelling or quick to come. 

I'd happily pay Apple $40 a year for an annual update cycle (where each release is of the quality of the past two anyway.) 

• Reply 6 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jessi View Post

Hmmm.... maybe it's time to try upgrading... I think I'll wait for the GM though. I need rock solid stability to get work done.... but I'm excited about getting Mavericks.

Though I still hate the name.

Mavericks is solid now. I'd be more worried about it breaking your specific app compatibility use-case.

I like the name. The naming scheme is simple. It's places in California. Like OS X Redwood or OS X Yosemite.

• Reply 7 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jessi View Post

It would be nice to get it for free.  I worry that if it becomes free it will go the way of the original Mac OS-- where updates were always free, but not really very compelling or quick to come.

Like iOS?

• Reply 8 of 34
    Quote:

Mavericks is solid now. 

I'm sure it is.  Apple's just not accepting apps built on the Mavericks tool chain right now.

Quote:

Like iOS?

iOS is different because there's nothing overshadowing it, like there is OS X.    OS X is getting less attention than iOS now, it is living in the iOS shadow.  If OS X is not a revenue center, then it could get even less attention, because Apple is focused on iOS. 

For iOS Apple has a different business model.  Macs las 3-5 years, but iOS only runs on devices up to about 2 years old.  Thus the upgrade fee for the latest iOS for people with a 2+ year old device is getting a new device.  The software cost is built into the hardware price. 

Thus you get two releases of iOS for a given device purchase.  With OS X, if they do annual updates to it, you could get 5 releases of OS X for a hardware purchase.

Not saying it's not possible that apple would do this, just that it worries me.

I think OS X needs a lot of work, mostly migrating the easy-to-develop-for modern iOS SDK to the Mac so that we can more easily build apps that run on both platforms. 

• Reply 9 of 34
    Not appearing in software update yet for me either. Has anyone seen it hit the servers yet?
  • Reply 10 of 34
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    I hope Messages finally losing that ugly bubble effect in this version. It just looks so outdated compared to Messages in iOS 7.

cash907 wrote: »

Sure, release already even if that means having to not include certain components like TB2 for another cycle. /s

ireland wrote: »

I hope it's free but you're not looking at the big picture. Do you have the foresight to know what is best for Apple's long and short term bottom line? It'll be free if it makes sense for it to be free, like with iOS. I think between the yearly update cycle, the crossover of iOS and OS X frameworks and APIs, the significance of iDevice buyers being PC switchers, the peace of mind from knowing you'll get at least 3 years of free updates, and the lowered cost for Apple support could make it the best option for Apple, but we really don't know. All we can do it run fuzzy numbers and hope that Apple agrees with our wishes.

jessi wrote: »

I'd happily pay Apple $40 a year for an annual update cycle (where each release is of the quality of the past two anyway.) 

iOS is not only compelling but iOS 7 was the most compelling version of iOS to date and it's free.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by: ireland

"I like the name. The naming scheme is simple. It's places in California. Like OS X Redwood or OS X Yosemite."

...No but there is a Weed, CA!
  • Reply 12 of 34
    satch99 wrote: »
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by: ireland

"I like the name. The naming scheme is simple. It's places in California. Like OS X Redwood or OS X Yosemite."

...No but there is a Weed, CA!

Inspiring places. There is no reason to assume they'll start choosing cities at all and I'm not sure Weed is inspiring. You might as well pick Bakersfield.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    kalltkallt Posts: 13member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by akqies View Post

I hope Messages finally losing that ugly bubble effect in this version. It just looks so outdated compared to Messages in iOS 7.

I actually hope not. I like my OS to be consistent in style and it seems that Mavericks is going to do just that with the removal of most skeuomorphic effects. Since we are not expecting a style overhaul with Mavericks, I do not want to see anything that looks like iOS 7. 

• Reply 14 of 34
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    On stage at iPad event. (Oct 15?)

i've been wondering (to myself until now) if they were holding mavericks until a mac pro announcement.

seems they have an awful lot of stuff to announce pretty quickly. mavericks; mbp refresh; pro; ipad; minis (please please please)

• Reply 15 of 34
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    topdrag wrote: »
    Not appearing in software update yet for me either. Has anyone seen it hit the servers yet?

Not seeing it on the software update nor in the Dev's download page yet, Build: 13A584 is the latest I am seeing. Weird! Where did that screen shot come from?
  • Reply 16 of 34
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

Who got this? LOL, not devs apparently...

• Reply 17 of 34
    Not seeing it on the software update nor in the Dev's download page yet, Build: 13A584 is the latest I am seeing. Weird! Where did that screen shot come from?

Is AppleSeed their non-developer beta testing program?
  • Reply 18 of 34
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Not showing up in Software Update for me, yet.

Why free? Lately they have been charging very little but yet delivering a lot. The Mac OS updates have been a bargain really.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    gordiogordio Posts: 69member
    My Mavericks sometimes restarts due to 'a problem' while sleeping. Happens regularly. I hope this is fixed. Not a big deal, but a bit annoying.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Given that they’ve never done that, why are you pretending it’s the case?

Why, when it’s tens of millions of dollars extra?