Ibm has stopped making consumer pc's

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I read in the Wall Street Journal (yes I still read words on paper occasionally) that IBM decided that they didn't want to bother competing with crap companies like dell in the consumer PC market anymore. Their still gonna design the computers but another company is going to build them (and I think after 2 years their gonna stop all together). They make all their money from big business stuff anyway. So in light of this I think they might seriously start trying to beat Motorola's ass in the power pc realm, witch I would be very happy about, big brother or not I think Apple and IBM belong together to start a new revolution in computing. Apples got the style, ideas, and imagination and IBM has the balls and raw power to back it up

[ 01-23-2002: Message edited by: Ti Fighter ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Yes, they are exiting the consumer PC market for good. Now when people say they want to buy a new IBM, you can tell them that they can't, but how about a Mac instead?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    ibm is cool. remember the stereotype they had in pirates of silicon valley?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    nebrienebrie Posts: 483member
    Their PC business has been losing billions of dollars up till now. (I think they lost $1B in 2000?) Every IBM shareholder has been screaming at them to abandon their PC business, and since their consumer business has never done well, it's only natural for them to finally abandon it.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I blinked when I saw that IBM was pulling out of the market they created in the first place, but it makes sense.

Now all we have to do is convince them that they want to offer an all-Power[PC] architecture to their customers, and to extend their Linux-centric support to encompass a certain BSD-derived OS...
  • Reply 4 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by Nebrie:

<strong>Their PC business has been losing billions of dollars up till now. (I think they lost $1B in 2000?) Every IBM shareholder has been screaming at them to abandon their PC business, and since their consumer business has never done well, it's only natural for them to finally abandon it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

They should have discontinued the iBM PC at the 20th anniversery! That would have been LOL funny!
  • Reply 6 of 15
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    oddly enough they're going to continue to make portables(thinkpads)... maybe that's why we keep hearing news from them on the apollo
  • Reply 7 of 15
    IBM stereotype in Pirates of Silcon Valley. It's not a stereotype my dad worked for them. IBM was like a brother hood they did have company songs and all wore black suits etc... he had to go to work every day like that.

Of course the new younger IBM is not like that but back then they were all like that for the most part. Apple was like 180 degrees from IBM far as dress code etc...
  • Reply 8 of 15
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by tonton:

<strong>

First of all, ThinkPads run on Intel chips (there was one that had a Crusoe in it, but I think it's been discontinued) and IBM consumer PCs run on Intel or AMD. IBM has never made a portable or consumer computer with their own chips.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Why is that?
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Everyone keeps gushing about IBM chips, but I've yet to see an impressive PPC chip from IBM. They don't do altivec, and their G3s are slower than Moto's G4s.

So why does everyone think that IBM is such a bad-ass chip maker? Because of their server chips? Hell that Power 4 chip is big and hot enough to work as a hotplate! That thing could never go in a desktop....in fact making a desktop chip where are are trade-offs between heat dissipation, power consumption, size, and performance is probably more difficult than building a balls to the wall chip like the Power 4.

Based on the evidence I've seen, Motorola owns IBM when it comes to desktop PPC CPUs. Until I see a PPC chip from IBM that's faster than the G4 and has Altivec, I'm not impressed.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    IBM was no joke. IMO they made the best (business type)PC's. They had better quality and support than anyone else. And as far as price you pay for what you get, quality. Isn't that why you pay so much $ for Apple products. Dell and everyone else are charging cheap ass prices cuz their putting cheap ass hardware in those boxes. And as far as support, my friend has a 6 year old IBM laptop and he still gets support to this day with out paying for any kind of extended warranty.

Plus IBM has DEEP BLUE, and they keep upgrading and feeding it information, and soon it will take over the world, so watch out soon you'll all be in your black suits singing the IBM song as the world anthem.

March on with I B M.

We lead the way!

Onward we'll ever go,

In strong array;

Our thousands to the fore,

Nothing can stem,

Our march forever more,

With I B M.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    arty50arty50 Posts: 201member
    Are you sure IBM is going to stop selling desktop PCs. I heard this news last week and they said they were merely going to outsource the manufacturing process. The reason they keep the PCs around is because they like to sell the whole package to a company. It makes their support package more attractive. The company I work for (in the Fortune 100) only buys IBM PCs.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    Michael Dell: Confirmed "IBM is out of business"...

lol

G-news
  • Reply 13 of 15
    xypexype Posts: 672member
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>So why does everyone think that IBM is such a bad-ass chip maker</strong><hr></blockquote>

May be because during the last years most of the computer chip innovation that is happening is happening in IBMs labs. SOI, smaller processes and all of the "will be availible in mass production from 2005-10 on" stuff is made at IBM. If Motorolla wouldn't keep altivec to themselves IBM would be kicking their ass on the PPC front - simply because they a] have the technology and b] have the facilities to produce goods.

And as for Power4 - it's a hell of a good chip and it's perfect for what it's been made for - bad ass servers. People who operate servers as big as your dining room really don't care much about heat since with the server costing as much as a middle-class house they surely have the money for a good aÃ*r condition as well.