Apple announces new OS X Mavericks build to AppleSeed members, drops 'Developer Preview' status

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    akqies wrote: »
    Is AppleSeed there non-developer beta testing program?

I believe so but why would they get a later version than developers?
  • Reply 22 of 34
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    [COLOR=blue][SIZE=2][citation needed][/SIZE][/COLOR]
  • Reply 23 of 34
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    ireland wrote: »
    On stage at iPad event. (Oct 15?)

October 15" could very well be an all Mac event. Obviously the Mac Pro is due, however I don't think it will come alone. I would think that Apple would deliver a 4K screen to go with it, to a lesser extent I'm expecting an Apple file server/disk array/TB attached storage or whatever you want to call it. In other words I would expect that Apple will deliver a full solution for all sorts of professionals.

Then we have the Mini, it could be abandoned completely, updated or morphed slightly into a new container. If abandoned they might replace it with a Haswell in a Mac Pro Chassis. In any event I would expect enough Mac stuff to fill an hour, especially if Apple has a bunch of Mavericks ready apps to deliver.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    pooch wrote: »
    i've been wondering (to myself until now) if they were holding mavericks until a mac pro announcement.

seems they have an awful lot of stuff to announce pretty quickly. mavericks; mbp refresh; pro; ipad; minis (please please please)

This is why I see October 15 the as Mac & Mavericks only. Lots to do and it would only require one software app update to eat up much of the allotted time.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    crowcrow Posts: 3member
    I would think they will finish removing the skeuomorphic look of apps before they go final. Is Reminders still black? What else still had the look in older builds?
  • Reply 26 of 34
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by crow View Post

I would think they will finish removing the skeuomorphic look of apps before they go final.

Sure hope not. Ruining Notes was bad enough.

• Reply 27 of 34
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    No showing up in software update which means this is a major release that can't be updated. They probably removed all of the debugging stuff.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    alandailalandail Posts: 755member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

i've been wondering (to myself until now) if they were holding mavericks until a mac pro announcement.

seems they have an awful lot of stuff to announce pretty quickly. mavericks; mbp refresh; pro; ipad; minis (please please please)

it's the other way around, the MacPro will require Mavericks, thus is waiting for the Mavericks release.

• Reply 29 of 34
    This is the GM version.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    This is the GM version.
    Just thinking that that this may be I annocened (for obvious reasons) GM or maybe there is one more with probably double digits or less bugs removed difference.
    jessi wrote: »

It would be nice to get it for free.  I worry that if it becomes free it will go the way of the original Mac OS-- where updates were always free, but not really very compelling or quick to come. 

I'd happily pay Apple $40 a year for an annual update cycle (where each release is of the quality of the past two anyway.) 
    Id happily pay $10 and $20 on some updates (this one not included) but over $20 no. From business point of view profit=more work, but from the current perspective is people paying 3 times more for little but out of date, harder to use, $20 more per year for updates...ugh. The 3 times better computer and bigger screen and more uses can only go so far in these markets.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]
    kallt wrote: »
    I actually hope not. I like my OS to be consistent in style and it seems that Mavericks is going to do just that with the removal of most skeuomorphic effects. <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Since we are not expecting a style </span>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">overhaul with Mavericks, I do not want to see anything that looks like iOS 7. </span>

Agree. OSX should be OSX. Don't try to iOSnizes it. Not good with iOS 6.. And not good with iOS 7 either.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    matrix07 wrote: »
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]
    Agree. OSX should be OSX. Don't try to iOSnizes it. Not good with iOS 6.. And not good with iOS 7 either.

Your reply has nothing to do with my initial comment. I want the bubble Aqua look in OS X to go away which has nothing to do with turning OS X into iOS.
  • Reply 33 of 34

After using iOS 7, every other OS on earth looks old and slow, OSX included.

It needs iOSification, clearly. Just because Windows and Ubuntu suck it doesn't mean that Apple shouldn't be pushing harder.

Yes, the usual suspects will complain, but once again, Apple should just show them the middle finger.

iOS, has a platform, is the most powerful OS ever created. What an awesome ecosystem. It's time to change OSX's UI.

• Reply 34 of 34
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    jessi wrote: »
    I think I'll wait for the GM though. I need rock solid stability to get work done

As you should. Putting a beta version on a production machine is the most stupid thing anyone can do.