Apple releases OS X 10.9 Mavericks Golden Master to developers

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hours after Apple announced a new OS X Mavericks build was available to AppleSeed members, the company released a Golden Master version of the next-generation operating system to developers.

Mavericks

Two weeks after the last Mavericks Developer Preview was pushed out, Apple on Thursday made the OS X 10.9 GM available to developers. This is the final version that will ultimately be released to the public when Apple launches the OS in the coming weeks. Earlier in the day, the same build was seeded to AppleSeed members.

Alongside the OS X GM, Apple also released the Golden Master of Xcode 5.0.1, which will likely debut alongside Mavericks.

Apple is rumored to be planning a release for OS X 10.9 Mavericks sometime in October, though an official date has yet to be nailed down. When the new OS X finally hits Macs around the world, it will bring support for iBooks, new Finder Tabs, integrated Apple Maps, the power-saving App Nap function, and Compressed Memory, among other new features.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 84
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy! Some great additions here! Gimme ! Hurry!

• Reply 2 of 84

Prediction/Rumor:

Apple is rushing the Golden Master of 10.9 out quickly because it wants to announce the Mac Pro pricing and availability this week or early next week.  Apple will also announce updates to the MacBook Pro line this week in tandem with the Mac Pro announcement.

• Reply 3 of 84
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    I've never seen this before with such a large OS X update; it installed in place without requiring you to restart the OS to complete the installation.
  • Reply 4 of 84
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    akqies wrote: »
    I've never seen this before with such a large OS X update; it installed in place without requiring you to restart the OS to complete the installation.

Funny, at my end it unpacked and had to be restarted right after that, That is when the installation began. Of course, I didn't upgrade but did a clean install.
  • Reply 5 of 84
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Funny, at my end it unpacked and had to be restarted right after that, That is when the installation began. Of course, I didn't upgrade but did a clean install.

I updated via the Mac App Store. I did this on two machines. The first stood out but since I wasn't paying too much attention I wondered if perhaps I simply missed it so on the second one I made sure I monitored the steps. I was running the most recent Preview copy from a couple weeks ago on both machines. Each said they are 1.10GB.
  • Reply 6 of 84
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    kharvel wrote: »
    Prediction/Rumor:

Apple is rushing the Golden Master of 10.9 out quickly because it wants to announce the Mac Pro pricing and availability this week or early next week.  Apple will also announce updates to the MacBook Pro line this week in tandem with the Mac Pro announcement.

I guess beggars can't be choosers, but I don't know if I like this. It's now lining up for ipad, ipad mini, and rMBP announcement in two weeks. Obviously the Mac Pro and mavericks will be featured prominently as well.

Where I don't like it is that it almost assures us we won't be seeing an Apple TV update at the keynote. Alas... Maybe springtime....
  • Reply 7 of 84

Looking forward to 10.9.3. It's usually the most stable release.

• Reply 8 of 84
    I hope it is compatible with the Late 2009 iMacs. Mine has been working pretty well for a year out-of warranty.
  • Reply 9 of 84
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kharvel View Post

Prediction/Rumor:

I don't think they're rushing it, the previous builds have been quite stable. But I agree those Macs will probably be out soon.

My hope is that the new MBP will have Thunderbolt 2 ports, and so will work with the 4K Cinema Display that will come out with the new Mac Pro.

• Reply 10 of 84
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    I hope it is compatible with the Late 2009 iMacs. Mine has been working pretty well for a year out-of warranty.
    Don't worry, your iMac will run this quite nicely.
  • Reply 11 of 84
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    So far so good. Mavericks is faster than ML, and it fixed several long-standing issues I had with my ancient (late 2008) unibody MBP that started with Snow Leopard. Haven't noticed any differences from DP8.

Minor glitch: Time Machine icon is corrupted in status bar when backup starts. Same as in DP8.
  • Reply 12 of 84
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Now, ensure every Mac in the world with a machine less than 5 years is on Mavericks by making it a free download just like iOS. It'll make the whole platform much stronger and MS won't be able to compete with free.
  • Reply 13 of 84
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,712member
    I have to think Mac Pro is close too.
  • Reply 14 of 84
    Apple is rushing the Golden Master of 10.9 out quickly because it wants to announce the Mac Pro pricing and availability this week or early next week. Apple will also announce updates to the MacBook Pro line this week in tandem with the Mac Pro announcement.

End Quote.

Yes, would like the Macbook Pros and Mac Pro out to be have a chance at being included in Apple's next quarter. No 'late' iMac fiasco this time?

Looking forward to the Pro. It should be a beast of a machine.

A 4k monitor excites me as well.

0S X Mavericks. What's incredible about this release we'll have, finally (very nearly!) full Open GL parity with Windows at last?!! That alone should give older Macs a real big boost. 25% on GPU stuff? At least? Just guessing? That would be like a new machine.

And if it sorts out the chopping on expanding Safari windows...I'd buy it for that alone...

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 15 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Now, ensure every Mac in the world with a machine less than 5 years is on Mavericks by making it a free download just like iOS. It'll make the whole platform much stronger and MS won't be able to compete with free.

If ever there was a time to do this.  Now, with a 75 million+ installed base, is the time to do it.

Especially as they jacked the entry price of the entry iMac to £1145 inc vat?  (and it has integrated crappics at that.  No DVD player as well.  Cheeky beggars...)

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 16 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akqies View Post

I updated via the Mac App Store. I did this on two machines. The first stood out but since I wasn't paying too much attention I wondered if perhaps I simply missed it so on the second one I made sure I monitored the steps. I was running the most recent Preview copy from a couple weeks ago on both machines. Each said they are 1.10GB.

1.10 GB sounds like the iPhoto update that was issued.

This is the (non-GM) dev 8 build number:

• Reply 17 of 84
    ireland wrote: »

Yes that is an iPhoto update, and yes that is a screen shot of the September update.

The GM today is 5.29 GB.
  • Reply 18 of 84
    akqies wrote: »

The new GM is in Purchases not Updates once you redeem your code. As Ireland mentioned you are looking at an iPhoto update.
  • Reply 19 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Yes that is an iPhoto update, and yes that is a screen shot of the September update.

The GM today is 5.29 GB.

The GM is not a delta so. Settles that.

• Reply 20 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I was thinking the same thing, especially since there is no word on pricing yet. It just makes so much sense for them, especially since they are not really dependent on the money and are to gain more from everyone being on the latest release. I would wager that that move might push 10.9 past the 5.4% market share of Windows 8, which would be quite a statement. 10.8, 10.7 and 10.6 combined make up 6.65% according to the same statistic (http://www.zdnet.com/windows-8-adoption-rate-drops-back-to-a-plod-7000018847/).

Nobody will argue with free, but even 20 dollars will make people look to see if it is worth it for them. Seeing that a lot of the important updates are under the bonnet, this might not convince a lot of people to update. 

I would gladly pay even 100 dollars for it, but free would be nothing short of astounding.