Supply chain sees weak demand for notebooks, expects big things from Apple's fifth-gen iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
As the PC market continues to slump, the outlook for traditional notebooks this holiday season is weak, while tech supply chain sources in Taiwan reportedly expect a "major upgrade" to Apple's full-size iPad to arrive this month.

iPad

Analyst Brian White of Cantor Fitzgerald is currently on a tour of technology suppliers in China and Taiwan. For day two, he met with an LCD panel maker, a display technology supplier, a component maker, and an LCD TV vendor in Taipei.

In his meetings, White was told by a leading display technology supplier that while the overall tablet market is softening, big things are expected from Apple's fifth-generation iPad.

Most of what White was told aligns with has already been expected about Apple's next 9.7-inch iPad: It'll have a lighter, thinner design akin to the iPad mini, representing the first major redesign to the tablet in a few years.

White's sources made no mention of a second-generation iPad mini, leading the analyst to speculate that the device may not launch this month. He expects the next iPad mini to sport a Retina display using Sharp's IGZO technology.

His take aligns with another recent report that suggested Apple's next iPad mini may not debut in 2013 due to supply constraints. If the device does debut this year with a Retina display, as is generally expected, Reuters claims it will be in extremely short supply.

Apple's iPad refresh may be able to once again capitalize on a weakening PC market, as the supply chain indicated to White that notebook sales are soft. Sales of traditional PCs have been slumping as consumers have instead opted to buy tablets, with Apple's iPad lineup carrying the lion's share of the market.

Finally, in his talks with LCD TV makers, supply chain sources also revealed weakness in the HDTV market. For years, Apple has been rumored to be working on its own television set, dubbed by observers as the "iTV."

A source who spoke with White, and who represents a competitor to a potential Apple television, said they have been told that the so-called "iTV" is "not yet ready for primetime." That person expects Apple to unveil its television set sometime in 2014.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    alienzedalienzed Posts: 393member
    where's my new macbook pro!
  • Reply 2 of 20
    So these analysts have not yet learned their lessons about "supply chain" checks?
  • Reply 3 of 20

And samsung will have 9.5 billion in profits thanks to Apple.

Computer sales down, no more accelerated growth on phones, but the semicondutor and similar businesses are exploding, thanks to Apple.

LOL!

• Reply 4 of 20
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Apple is doomed!/s
  • Reply 5 of 20
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    OK am I missing something? What is the major upgrade according to Brian White?
  • Reply 6 of 20
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    Big news yesterday seemed to be that Samsung beat earnings expectations due to rebounding memory prices within a softening market for smart phones.

1) Samsung is selling memory to and making chips for Apple.

2) Demand for smartphones is softening only if you're Samsung. Apples sales and marketshare are rapidly increasing.

3) Most analysts predicted the new iPhones would flop. The opposite has happened as corroborated by the first weekend of sales and web use.

4) I don't really know where I am going with this and I really don't know what I am talking about.

But at least unlike an analyst I admit it.
  • Reply 7 of 20

I'm so ready for the iPad 5. 

• Reply 8 of 20
    [B]A source who spoke with White, and who represents a competitor to a potential Apple television, said they have been told that the so-called "iTV" is "not yet ready for primetime." That person expects Apple to unveil its television set sometime in 2014.[/B]

Does this so-called competitor representative REALLY exist, or is the person a fabricated person to make Brian's latest television guess have less egg on his face when the "potential" television does not arrive in 2014 as it did not arrive in 2011, 2012, 2013 (so far)? Brian can claim he got incorrect information from this source! Nice CYA Brian, but it will not work. NOT mentioning the television would have been the better path to walk.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    512ke wrote: »
    Big news yesterday seemed to be that Samsung beat earnings expectations due to rebounding memory prices within a softening market for smart phones.

1) Samsung is selling memory to and making chips for Apple.

2) Demand for smartphones is softening only if you're Samsung. Apples sales and marketshare are rapidly increasing.

3) Most analysts predicted the new iPhones would flop. The opposite has happened as corroborated by the first weekend of sales and web use.

4) I don't really know where I am going with this and I really don't know what I am talking about.

But at least unlike an analyst I admit it.

What continues to be astounding is Wall Street raving about Samsung's profit while purposefully ignoring that Samsung's profit can be directly related to Apple's 9 million sold iPhones.

So, if the smartphone market is softening, who is buying all of hardware Samsung is selling to provide such a profit?

Since Brian White is traveling, Gene Muenster would you like to step up to the mantle to feed us a bit of your GREAT wisdom?
  • Reply 10 of 20
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    White's sources made no mention of a second-generation iPad mini, leading the analyst to speculate that the device may not launch this month. .

Or that White simply hasn't gotten around to fabricating a rumor about the Mini yet.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

where's my new macbook pro!

What's wrong with the old?

• Reply 12 of 20
    What is the breakdown of iPad vs iPad mini sales? My sense is the mini will likely become the preferred. If I'm correct, Apple will have to design the new iPad to give the size, performance, and weight to make it more competitive with mini.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    What continues to be astounding is Wall Street raving about Samsung's profit while purposefully ignoring that Samsung's profit can be directly related to Apple's 9 million sold iPhones.

So, if the smartphone market is softening, who is buying all of hardware Samsung is selling to provide such a profit?

Since Brian White is traveling, Gene Muenster would you like to step up to the mantle to feed us a bit of your GREAT wisdom?

The A7 processor Samsung is selling Apple is said to cost something south of $20 and the A6 is reportedly $13 or less. Does Sammy supply any other 5S/5C components?
  • Reply 14 of 20
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    What is the breakdown of iPad vs iPad mini sales? My sense is the mini will likely become the preferred. If I'm correct, Apple will have to design the new iPad to give the size, performance, and weight to make it more competitive with mini.

I've seen estimates from the more-often-right-than-wrong KGI analyst Kuo saying the mini sells as much as three times better than the full-size iPad.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Samsung shares will gain but Apple's probably won't. It seems a lot of peripheral companies are seeing significant gains from Apple's business, but Apple shares barely move at all except in the negative way. For a company supposedly leading in the post-PC era, Apple remains a piss-poor investment for retail shareholders. I'm sure the hedge funds are making money in both directions from Apple. I swear that Wall Street seems to ignore Apple as a mover of the tech industry. Apple certainly gained top branding power from businesses and consumers for their products but Wall Street doesn't give a damn and says Apple products are no better than any other cheaper product. That's just total disregard of a company in terms of share value.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... the so-called "iTV" is "not yet ready for primetime." That person expects Apple to unveil its television set sometime in 2014.

Tell that to Gene "Apple-TV-Real-Soon-Now" Munster.  He predicts an Apple "TV set" every year.  He'll be right only once, but everyone will remember that one correct prediction.  And that one wild guess that actually hits is what Apple analysts are all shooting for.

• Reply 17 of 20

A retina mini with an A7X would be a monster

• Reply 18 of 20
    gatorguy wrote: »
    The A7 processor Samsung is selling Apple is said to cost something south of $20 and the A6 is reportedly $13 or less. Does Sammy supply any other 5S/5C components?

Please let me know the answer to your question. I am willing to admit I wrote something in error if I made an error. ????
  • Reply 19 of 20
    sockrolid wrote: »
    Tell that to Gene "Apple-TV-Real-Soon-Now" Munster.  He predicts an Apple "TV set" every year.  He'll be right only once, but everyone will remember that one correct prediction.  And that one wild guess that actually hits is what Apple analysts are all shooting for.

Gene is busy stating he is noticing IPhone shortages evaporating. Now considering he told his clients that Apple did not sell 9 million iPhones in three days. Instead Gene told his clients Apple had stuffed the channels with iPhones which were sitting on shelves collecting dust. So thanks to the magical forces called reality and truth, Apple HAD experienced shortages as it stated AND now those shortages are evaporating. Hmmm... So, Gene, where did all of those channel-stuffed iPhones go?
  • Reply 20 of 20

It would be best for Apple if they didn't make a TV and just sold their Apple TV boxes with all of the whizbang programming features the analysts are expecting with the full TV set. With that everybody could buy one to attach to any TV they owned. It would be much cheaper than a full system. It would also mean fewer problems with manufacturers and supply chain issues. Unless Apple is willing to supply numerous sizes of its TV sets they'll miss sales.

I would be willing to buy a new super Apple TV device but not a whole TV set. I've already got a great screen that won't be wearing out for another decade.

Maybe they'll build a TV set and a super Apple TV box with all of the programming goodies built in.