Voice actor behind Apple's Siri comes forward

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46

I absolutely love the original Siri voice.

As an aside, one of my favorite BBT episodes had to do with Siri: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2181587/

• Reply 22 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ChazzMatt View Post

replying to the guy who said she recorded this for Apple in 2005:

She did NOT record if for Apple in 2005.  You obviously can't read.  She recorded it in 2005 for another company, and Apple gained the rights to use it in later years.

A bit harsh. Chill, Bro! Try counting 10 before you say something. Might help you with the "ladies," too.

• Reply 23 of 46
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Speaking of Siri, since upgrading to iOS 7 I am getting way to many errors like Can't connect to server, or it simply doesn't register anything at all and you have to try it several more times . Under iOS 6 it worked and understood around 90% of the the time but that has dropped to about 40% to 50% of the time now with iOS 7. It even stalls on extremely simple things like set timer.  Is anyone else that uses Siri frequently having the same issues?

• Reply 24 of 46
    jessijessi Posts: 302member
    The new voices are more generic and not as distinctive.

I think Apple needs to do the processing to make their own voice. This can be done with any actor (or non-actor) who is willing to do the recordings of sufficient phonems to produce speech synthesis dataset... preferably one whom they have an exclusive deal with, like a current Apple employee.

The Verge lies? Of course they do. They're like jizzmodo.
  • Reply 25 of 46
    a2gsga2gsg Posts: 26member

Please Apple... locate Douglas Rain as the voice for Siri... so that we can enjoy The Most Classic and Classy computer voice of all time --  the HAL 9000 computer -- in our pockets from 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) and its sequel, 2010 (1984).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Rain

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HAL_9000

• Reply 26 of 46
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ursadorable View Post

It would have been epically cool if they could have gotten Majel Barrett to do the voice of Siri.

She passed away in 2008. 

• Reply 27 of 46

I was in a Delta terminal last month, and hearing the announcements I thought, "That sounds just like Siri!" Guess that explains it.

• Reply 28 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessi View Post

The new voices are more generic and not as distinctive.

I think Apple needs to do the processing to make their own voice. This can be done with any actor (or non-actor) who is willing to do the recordings of sufficient phonems to produce speech synthesis dataset... preferably one whom they have an exclusive deal with, like a current Apple employee.

The Verge lies? Of course they do. They're like jizzmodo.

The new voice in iOS7 in the U.S. sounds like it's the old voice, but presented faster, smoother and with less affectation, probably the result of better processing.      

But I also agree with some other postings that it would cool to have some choices including those of HAL9000 and Majel Barrett.   Personally, I wouldn't mind also having the voices of Bugs Bunny, Wolfman Jack, Boris Karloff, Mick Jagger, James Earl Jones (doing Vader), Lake Bell (who recently wrote, directed and starred in a movie about voice-over artists called "In a World...") or Sally Kellerman, among others.   They can sell them like ringtones.  Lots of money there.  

• Reply 29 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Speaking of Siri, since upgrading to iOS 7 I am getting way to many errors like Can't connect to server, or it simply doesn't register anything at all and you have to try it several more times . Under iOS 6 it worked and understood around 90% of the the time but that has dropped to about 40% to 50% of the time now with iOS 7. It even stalls on extremely simple things like set timer.  Is anyone else that uses Siri frequently having the same issues?

No problems.   I find it works far better than under iOS6.    My daughter's name is Kerin and under iOS6, it would always interpret that as Karen.   The iOS7 version gets it right.      

I also just asked it if I had any appointments for Monday.     Then I said, "what about Tuesday?"   I don't think it would have understood that under iOS6, but it did under iOS7.   

If it can't find the server, I would check your connectivity.    

• Reply 30 of 46
    As someone involved in the casting, recording and use of voice talent, I'm thinking she better have been paid a huge buyout fee in 2005, or be getting some ongoing usage fees (sounds like not), otherwise she was hosed.
  • Reply 31 of 46
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Quote:

It would have been epically cool if they could have gotten Majel Barrett to do the voice of Siri.

No, I would say Fran Drescher! lol

Being a voice-over actor for things like this and cartoons/animations sounds like a good career - if your a success at it and not constantly unemployed or working as a waiter/waitress or something like that, to make ends meet of course.

• Reply 32 of 46
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    zoetmb wrote: »
    The new voice in iOS7 in the U.S. sounds like it's the old voice, but presented faster, smoother and with less affectation, probably the result of better processing.      

But I also agree with some other postings that it would cool to have some choices including those of HAL9000 and Majel Barrett.   Personally, I wouldn't mind also having the voices of Bugs Bunny, Wolfman Jack, Boris Karloff, Mick Jagger, James Earl Jones (doing Vader), Lake Bell (who recently wrote, directed and starred in a movie about voice-over artists called "In a World...") or Sally Kellerman, among others.   They can sell them like ringtones.  Lots of money there.  

Please, please no. You'd end up with something like these:
    http://www.pigtones.com/

or these:
    http://www.navtones.com/
  • Reply 33 of 46
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Just don't call Barbara Boxer "Ma'am"!

/

/

/

The best part was the officer was following proper protocol and Boxer was ignorant of it.

• Reply 34 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonComstock View Post

As someone involved in the casting, recording and use of voice talent, I'm thinking she better have been paid a huge buyout fee in 2005, or be getting some ongoing usage fees (sounds like not), otherwise she was hosed.

I also used to be involved with voice-over talent.   My bet is that she was hosed for use on the iPhone itself, but she might have been compensated quite well for the use of her voice in any Apple TV ads that featured Siri.     If she wasn't, she should have been, but it would have been harder to get away with that, especially if she is in AFTRA.  

• Reply 35 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Please, please no. You'd end up with something like these:

http://www.pigtones.com/

or these:

http://www.navtones.com/

Yes, but those are incredibly bad impersonators, badly recorded.  

• Reply 36 of 46
    I also used to be involved with voice-over talent.   My bet is that she was hosed for use on the iPhone itself, but she might have been compensated quite well for the use of her voice in any Apple TV ads that featured Siri.     If she wasn't, she should have been, but it would have been harder to get away with that, especially if she is in AFTRA.  

I think I remember comments from other Nuance voice contributors that it was a contract job and there' no on-going payments or royalties. The only one making money from those voices after-the-fact is Nuance from licensing fees.

EDIT: Here's an old interview with Karen Jacobsen a.k.a. "Aussie Karen". She did her voice-work back in 2002, and still heard today on several million car navigation devices.
    http://www.thatslife.com.au/Article/Real-Life/Real-Life-Stories/Meet-Aussie-Karen-the-voice-in-your-GPS
  • Reply 37 of 46
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by daphreev View Post

In her CNN interview, she said she recorded the voices in 2005. Apple did not use Siri until 2010. Makes me think of what Apple has in store for the next few years...

...and it didn't come out of beta until 2013. Makes me think of what Apple will release and won't get right in the new few years. ;)

-kpluck

• Reply 38 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Interesting question: is it really her voice anymore? Given that a synthesis engine is concatenating phonemes that likely aren't actual recordings per se, is it still her? I wonder if the original contract gave away all rights to use in all media "known and unknown" (likely). Four hours a day for a month under the existing AFTRA contract wouldn't have been chump change, but it still wouldn't measure up to reasonable compensation for today's use, especially considering what SAG/AFTRA talent receive for a national TV/web/electronic media campaign the likes of which Apple runs.

• Reply 39 of 46
    Interesting question: is it really her voice anymore? Given that a synthesis engine is concatenating phonemes that likely aren't actual recordings per se, is it still her? I wonder if the original contract gave away all rights to use in all media "known and unknown" (likely). Four hours a day for a month under the existing AFTRA contract wouldn't have been chump change, but it still wouldn't measure up to reasonable compensation for today's use, especially considering what SAG/AFTRA talent receive for a national TV/web/electronic media campaign the likes of which Apple runs.

Even the voice behind Niko, lead character in Grand Theft Auto IV, doesn't get any residuals or royalties from it. He got a salary for his time and that's it. 'Course that didn't keep him from bitching about it after the fact.
  • Reply 40 of 46
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    rot'napple wrote: »
    saarek wrote: »

She is an actress, not an actor.

Edit

Withdrawn comment, it is technically correct if someone wishes to describe a woman performer as an actor. Simply annoys me, same thing as when some US movies/TV Series have female officers called "Sir".

Just don't call Barbara Boxer "Ma'am"!
    /
    /
    /

Lol. And the guy responds with "Yes Sir."

She passed away in 2008. 

So? The Siri voice was recorded in 2005. Perhaps she was still working then.