Apple's 'iPad 5' and 'iPad mini 2' to sport iPhone-quality 8MP cameras, Sony to supply sensors

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by quinney View Post

The analyst probably meant calendar quarter, rather than fiscal quarter. This confusion happens a lot and it would be helpful if articles would specify which type of quarter they are referencing.

But he said he expects them to ship 1.2 million iPad 5 units in the 3rd quarter.  Again the 3rd quarter just ended for calendar and it ended in June for Apples fiscal calendar.  So my question stands....how can Apple ship 1.2 million units of an unreleased product in a quarter that is already finished??? 

• Reply 22 of 39
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    But he said he expects them to ship 1.2 million iPad 5 units in the 3rd quarter.  Again the 3rd quarter just ended for calendar and it ended in June for Apples fiscal calendar.  So my question stands....how can Apple ship 1.2 million units of an unreleased product in a quarter that is already finished??? 

Without the actual report we're assuming AI correctly reported it. FWIW Kuo is one of the most accurate Apple analysts. So how accurate? Take a look at what he predicted from Apple back in January of this year.
    http://www.iphonehacks.com/2013/01/analyst-iphone-5s-fingerprint-sensor.html
  • Reply 24 of 39
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member

Having taken many thousands of photos on a Sony (/Minolta) alpha camera , I'm glad to hear that Sony is doing the sensors. They're still make quality stuff (compared to their Korean counterparts) and they need all the money they can get (after last year's $ 6B loss!)

• Reply 25 of 39
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Apple knows what they're doing with improving the cameras on the iPads. The screen is the world's greatest viewfinder, for one, letting you compose a shot in the camera like never before. For another, the flat rectangle pushes you to frame in three dimensions. You can watch your azimuth better, for example.

I feel sorry for those who are so concerned about how they look using the camera that they miss the benefits of the new form factor. Actually, on second thought, not so sorry. You guys just stay shut in your little mental rooms, but it would be fine with me if you stopped posting the same dumb things about iPad photography every time it comes up.

A friend just got her first iPad last week and was showing me some of her pictures. Great still lifes just of stuff she has around the house and garden. Apple + Sony make great cameras. Regular people love having this capability lying around on the couch or the table.
  • Reply 26 of 39

The better camera isn't a huge deal for me, but it tells me that Apple isn't pulling any punches with the iPad 5 & Mini 2.  It gives them something else to differentiate and brag about in their marketing, and for that small percentage of users who often use the iPad's rear camera and that much larger percentage who will on random occasion use the rear camera it will result in a very visible benefit.

And at what cost?  With iPhone and iPad orders Apple will buy something like 225 million 8mp cameras instead of 150 million 8mp's for iPhone plus another 75 million 5mp's for iPad.  At those volumes I cannot imagine their cost difference between the 8mp and 5mp to be more than a dollar or two per iPad.  In my book, that's a dollar or two well spent.

• Reply 27 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ndirishfan1975 View Post

Yeah, I didn't catch it until you pointed it out, but those numbers don't make any sense.  We just began calendar 4Q and Apple's fiscal 1Q.  A quick google search (I know) showed those numbers in an article from Sept 4th.  Guessing that AI was pulling old projections.  Perhaps all the info is a month old or perhaps they combined a new report with an old report for the article.

• Reply 28 of 39
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    Nobody needs a camera on an iPad, yet all the android tablets like the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 have started having them?
  • Reply 29 of 39
    I was hoping that when it was revealed some time ago that Sony was being used for the cam sensor, that Apple would be using that latest "higher" quality sensors.

Even though through NHK those sensors were shown in various programs since Jan this year.
    It was to soon (close) to the Xperia Z1 release or asking price for now was to much?
    [URL=http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/30/4784014/sony-xperia-z1-review]http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/30/4784014/sony-xperia-z1-review[/URL]

[URL=http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/english/tv/jtech/index.html]http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/english/tv/jtech/index.html[/URL]

The camera was shown even in a dark-room which was almost pitch black due to strong sunlight outside (this happens in really hot climates)
    without Flash the pics were clear has day!
  • Reply 30 of 39
    Guess they refer to fiscal quarters 1Q2014-2Q2014 i.e. calendar quarters 4Q2013-1Q2014...
  • Reply 31 of 39
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    The better the camera the better the iPad.
    Having said that, unless it's Retina - Why bother?
  • Reply 32 of 39
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Having said that, unless it's Retina - Why bother?

The screen on my little point and shoot isn’t the same resolution as the pictures it takes. I guess it shouldn’t have such a high resolution, then, huh?

• Reply 33 of 39
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The screen on my little point and shoot isn’t the same resolution as the pictures it takes. I guess it shouldn’t have such a high resolution, then, huh?

His point would be that you don't edit on your point and shoot like you would an iPad.  But regardless, his point doesn't make sense- that's like saying you can edit a photo on an iPad 4 better than an iPad 2- which isn't true in the practical sense.

• Reply 34 of 39
    The 8 megapixel has been on 3 iPhone generations now (iPhone 5C=5) I think they might hit iPads by now, just when will apple upgrade the pixels now, they did for 3 years and now not for 3 years, just strange.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    8MP lenses is misleading as shit, the lens has no fixed resolution, only the sensor does...
  • Reply 36 of 39
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    8MP lenses is misleading as shit, the lens has no fixed resolution, only the sensor does...

Still, even grannies know what it means...heck, even Samsung users know what is meant. And those are often the ones with a single-digit IQ.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by marcusj0015 View Post

Who said anything about lenses having resolution? :???: 

• Reply 38 of 39
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

The 8 megapixel has been on 3 iPhone generations now (iPhone 5C=5) I think they might hit iPads by now, just when will apple upgrade the pixels now, they did for 3 years and now not for 3 years, just strange.

Bollocks to that! it's not strange at all. The limiting parameter in phone cameras picture quality is sensor noise, and increasing the pixel density can make that worse. Simple experiment: take an indoor picture of a dark-coloured object with daytime ambient lighting on an SLR set to 3 MP; take the same picture with a phone (yes, even an iP 5S) set to 8 MP. The phone picture will look like brown muddy shit compared to the "low resolution" SLR pic. Apple is doing exactly the right thing by keeping the lens a prime and increasing its aperture, and by improving the size and sensitivity of the sensor, as well as by software optimization. 

• Reply 39 of 39
    Remember Kids, never mind the man behind the curtain this is the all powerful and wise Oz, not some idiot analyst. Apple's financials have shown the traditionally strong december Quarter as the 1st Q of the financial year. 3rd Q just ended 4 days ago and 4th Q just started. I would guess that the writer is quoting an old version of this guy from KGI with some speculation that the iPad and mini iPad would be released in September. He is already wrong and you are still using his ideas. Maybe find someone else to quote?