Adobe refreshes Photoshop, Premiere Elements with two new versions

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Adobe on Tuesday announced the availability of Photoshop Elements 12 and Premiere Elements 12, bringing fans of the photo- and video-editing solutions a number of new mobile capabilities and easier processes for editing their media.

The new version of Photoshop Elements adds a number of new features to increase users' ability to edit, access, and share their photos and videos across a range of devices. Among these are improved mobile access, allowing for on-the-go editing on mobile devices; content-aware move, which fills in background details to let users change elements of their photos without editing artifacts; and auto smart tone, which learns a customer's editing preferences and allows them to one-click edit photos to their preferred settings.

?Photoshop Elements 12 and Premiere Elements 12 will provide customers with the best of both worlds, quickly, easily and at their discretion," said Adobe executive Lea Hickman, speaking on the new software offerings' organizational features and flexibility.

Also included are guided edits, a new straighten tool, quick frames, quick effects, pet eye correction, and 64-bit support for the Mac.

Premiere Elements 12 brings guided edits, which gives users a step-by-step navigation element for starting out in the program, teaching them how to trim frames, add scores, transitions, titles, and narrations. It also includes more than 50 soundtracks that automatically regenerate during over the course of a clip, making it easy to make music to accompany a home video.

Adobe has also built in simple sound effect operations, a learning auto smart tone feature, and a number of new filters to stylize movies in filters such as Comic, Trinity, Yesteryear, and Cross Process. Premiere Elements 12 also has an easy motion tracking feature that lets users add dynamic text and graphics to video, with the object moving along with a tagged object.

The two programs will be available at retail stores such as Adorama Camera, Amazon.com, B&H Photo and Video, Best Buy, Best Buy Canada, New Egg, Office Depot, OfficeMax, Staples, and Staples Canada. Customers can also download them from Adobe's website for $100 each or in a bundle for $150. Customers upgrading from previous versions can do so for a price of $80 each or $120 for both.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

The URI you submitted has disallowed characters.

There Seems to be a Problem

We're sorry, but there's been an error in our system, and we can't complete your request. Please report this error to us, using our feedback system. Thanks!

• Reply 2 of 15
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Who cares? There is no path tool in Photoshop Elements which makes unusable for any composition tasks.

• Reply 3 of 15
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    The URI you submitted has disallowed characters.

There Seems to be a Problem

We're sorry, but there's been an error in our system, and we can't complete your request. Please report this error to us, using our feedback system. Thanks!

Uh oh.

• Reply 4 of 15
    Uh oh.

The irony. A website reporting on Apple rumors, and its competitors. Apple, the tech company that gets things right, reported by, well, AI.

'AI, where tech won't work. Why?'
  • Reply 5 of 15
    As usual Adobe sell you some bug fixes and some very minor new features. I used to buy Adobe products but it is always buggy and then they charge you for another bucket load of them in newer versions. Stick with Apple, and get superior software and free updates.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Here we go. The non-subscription product that all the CC haters should buy.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    You must feel some kind of smugness to post.
    Well mate you can take your smugness and shove it where the sun don't shine.

You can revel all you want in your CC heaven. Fair enough, you're paying.
    I don't want Adobe bloat - doesn't help me in any way whatsoever.
    I want stand alone programs, period.
    And if you post back that I should be using PS elements or some other such BS - things will get really personal.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RobM View Post

You must feel some kind of smugness to post.

Well mate you can take your smugness and shove it where the sun don't shine.

You can revel all you want in your CC heaven. Fair enough, you're paying.

I don't want Adobe bloat - doesn't help me in any way whatsoever.

I want stand alone programs, period.

And if you post back that I should be using PS elements or some other such BS - things will get really personal.

Actually, my original reply to the article is where I suggested you should be using PS Elements. So I guess it's already personal.

And I do feel smugness. The way people rail against CC you'd think there was no other product Adobe offered. Now there are new versions of stand-alone products.

It doesn't matter to me that you don't care for Adobe software and have no use for it any more than it matters to you that I like Adobe software and use it to make my living...a pretty good living at that.

Go ahead and use Pixelmator or whatever. But you will certainly not catch me posting about how limited I find that solution the next time Appleinsider runs a story about the latest update.

Cheers!

• Reply 9 of 15
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by polymnia View Post

Here we go. The non-subscription product that all the CC haters should buy.

What if we want the real terrible software and not a dumbed-down, KEY COMMAND-CHANGED terrible knockoff thereof?

• Reply 10 of 15
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">What if we want the real terrible software and not a dumbed-down, KEY COMMAND-CHANGED terrible knockoff thereof?</span>

Then, my friend, you buy CC.

If you know the software well enough to know the keystrokes you likely don't find it that 'terrible' and probably use it often. In which case you can probably afford a CC subscription. This being the case, you have to do business with Adobe. And their model is subscription now.

Trust me, it's not that bad.
  • Reply 11 of 15

…afford…

In what universe does afford = want to use the software model? No, try again.

• Reply 12 of 15
    In what universe does afford = want to use the software model? No, try again.

Suit yourself, I'll be using photoshop in the meantime.
  • Reply 13 of 15

Suit yourself, I'll be using photoshop in the meantime.

So will I. But not via that idiotic model.

• Reply 14 of 15
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member

roflmao
    Me too !
  • Reply 15 of 15

Agreement!

I knew it was possible to find common ground on this matter.