Apple's New iPhone 5c print ads focus on color

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's latest billboard ad campaign focuses exclusively on iPhone 5c, highlighting one color at a time with zero attention given to the product's specifications or price.

iPhone

The new ads have appeared on San Francisco's street billboards, bus stops and kiosks, alternating between two designs. The first is a tall poster depicting simply the back of a single color of the iPhone 5c.

Above, a green iPhone 5c stands on a matching green backdrop on Market Street in the Financial District. Nearby, a tall red on red poster (below) stands opposite the Metreon mall.

A series of other posters display a bottom and the rear of two phones of the same color against a matching backdrop, with "iPhone 5c" sandwiched in-between.

At the top of the ad, the bottom of one phone highlights its iconic single Home button and the default row of apps that ship with the phone, including Mail, Safari and Music, in their new iOS 7 editions.

Underneath, the top rear of the phone depicts a camera with flash and a prominent Apple logo. The ultra simple posters focus all attention the style of the new model, with no mention of price, size or components. The word "Apple" does not even appear.

The new print campaign reflects a more serious hue than Apple's playful "Greetings" television spot for iPhone 5c, which portrays a colorful set of characters around the world, interacting with the new phone in a global tapestry of literal and figurative color.

iPhone

The new ads contrast with Apple's recent iPad advertising, which has been almost singularly focused on third party apps. However, the color-centric campaign for iPhone 5c mirrors Apple's longstanding focus on color in its iPod line, which began with the 2004 iPod mini and progressively overtook the entire lineup.

iPhone

Apple?s focus on color with iPods culminated in last year's spectrum of iPod touch and iPod nano options, featured in the iPod Bounce commercial (below).

Prior to the last decade of iPods, Apple began introducing bright colors into its Macintosh marketing with the 1998 iMac, which stood out from typical beige and black PC boxes by offering translucent plastics infused with color, a trend carried forward by Apple?s consumer iBooks and even its high end Power Mac G3 and G4 product line.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

"'C' is for color, that's good enough for me..."

• Reply 2 of 23
    ... and this is why I think the 5c's popularity will depend on a younger generation where having a colorful accessory could be trendy.

It's very distinguishable from the other colorful phones.

You get Miley or Niall holding a 5c and it'll be the must have phone.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    shevshev Posts: 84member
    What else were they going to focus on?
  • Reply 4 of 23
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Kinda weird that the simplicity of these billboards are so incredible ... I don't know, cool. Guess I'm prejudiced, but still, very cool.

Oh, and DED, you'd might want to step aside when taking a picture of a reflective surface.
  • Reply 5 of 23

Elegant! As usual! :)

• Reply 6 of 23
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    More advertising where the focus on the competiton is zip, zero, nada. Take note Microsoft.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Are images of the iPhone 5C in short supply?

• Reply 8 of 23
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    ... and this is why I think the 5c's popularity will depend on a younger generation where having a colorful accessory could be trendy.

Who knows where Miley will stick it. Thanks but no thanks. :)
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Who knows where Miley will stick it. Thanks but no thanks. image

She's a small gal... the 5c would cover her perfectly.

• Reply 10 of 23
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's latest billboard ad campaign focuses exclusively on iPhone 5c, highlighting one color at a time with zero attention given to the product's specifications or price.

No one ever accused Apple of not having brilliant marketing.  If you deliver low specs, at a high price....  Ignore those and focus on... Color!

Those are some very elegant and well done ads though.

• Reply 11 of 23
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    gtr wrote: »

I was going to comment on that. I understand that articles on the same device might not happen too often in a row but they could at least have a few images to choose from. Even saving a quick mirror or zoomed version of the image would help AI look a little more professional.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    frood wrote: »
    No one ever accused Apple of not having brilliant marketing.  If you deliver low specs, at a high price....  Ignore those and focus on... Color!

Elegance is one of the specs, and it's essentially priceless.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frood View Post

What competing phones offer specs similar to iPhone 5c at a lower price?

The majority of Android and WP are gunning for the very low end market at cheaper prices, but what phones offer iPhone 5-class hardware for noticeably less? iPhone 5c is comparable to the Galaxy S4, and in many markets its cheaper. 

• Reply 14 of 23
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    frood wrote: »

When has Apple ever focused on specs in its advertising?
  • Reply 15 of 23
    murmanmurman Posts: 159member

If Apple sells those ad posters, I'd buy them. Beautiful graphic design, beautiful industrial design, big bold uncluttered, and with striking color. Only problem is, it'll make me look like an iPhone reseller having these posters up on my walls.

• Reply 16 of 23
    Maybe I missed it, but I'm pretty sure I didn't hear a "Yeoboseyo" in that ad.
  • Reply 17 of 23

I have already seen people with 5S, no 5C obviously apples 100% advertising 5C and 0% 5S is more obviously closer to opposite I expect a 90% 5S sales on apples side, they are closer to android and I hope this stops, as my mom said"the 5C is a cheap plastic phone (she would never buy plastic if there's alternative) but the 5S is advertising for the rich in the (commonly considered more rich) gold color.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    I've already seen numerous 5Cs in the wild. Primarily the white model though.

Even so I've stills seen far more 5Ss than 5Cs.
  • Reply 19 of 23

Someone should take the old iMac ad ("She Comes in Colors") then have the iMacs morph into iPhone 5c's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcBpXYI1r3Q

• Reply 20 of 23
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frood View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Low specs? the 2nd fastest phone by a large margin and the only phone (besides the 5 and 5s) that can run the most awesome software at the fastest speed because:

a) some is iOS only;

b) when available on Android, it is still much faster on iOS.

Can you explain it better, please?