Former iOS chief Scott Forstall may testify in upcoming Apple v. Samsung retrial

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple's former head of iOS Scott Forstall, along with current SVP of Worldwide Marketing Phil Schiller, may be called to testify in the company's forthcoming retrial over $450 million worth of damages from Samsung.

Forstall and Schiller
Former Apple executive Scott Forstall (left) and current SVP of Worldwide Marketing Phil Schiller.

The two marquee executives were mentioned in a list of potential witnesses appended to a pretrial conference statement filed by Apple on Friday. According to the document, Apple may call on Schiller, Forstall, and other high ranking employees and experts during an upcoming retrial over damages previously vacated by Apple v. Samsung presiding Judge Lucy Koh.

Apple and Samsung are slated to meet once again on Nov. 12 at the Northern California District Courthouse to hash out a retrial over 14 Samsung products alleged to infringe on Apple's design and utility patents. Judge Koh vacated the original Apple v. Samsung jury's decision on those specific devices due to apparent uncertainty over the amount of damages that should be attributable to an individual intellectual property right. In total, the vacated claims deducted over $450 million from Apple's $1.05 billion win.

If Apple ultimately elects to call on Schiller to testify, he will be the highest ranking current Apple executive to do so. Schiller previously took the stand last year as the trial wound down.

Perhaps more interesting than a reprise appearance from Schiller is the possibility that ousted iOS head Forstall may also take the stand at the retrial.

After being booted from the company one year ago, not much has been heard of the former iOS chief. Forstall was a polarizing character at Apple with a supposedly assertive demeanor, a trait that may have contributed to his firing.

During the Apple v. Samsung trial, Forstall's name showed up on a rolling list of witnesses and he was tentatively scheduled to testify after Schiller toward the end of the proceedings. He never made it to the stand.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    Judge Lucy Koh is a real piece of work. The jury nailed Samsung to the wall, but then this judge vacates the finding on her own. Why bother having a jury if the judge is just going to make up her own mind? I'm glad there's a retrial. Now I just want to read about any sanctions or suspensions for Judge Lucy Koh. Maybe she needs to go back to judge school.
  • Reply 2 of 47
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Apple should object to any Samsung counsel's requests, cite Grewal and refuse to submit any confidential information to anyone but the judge.
  • Reply 3 of 47
    Man. I certainly hope this doesn't turn into some type of smackdown match in the courtroom between Scott and the rest of the Apple team...
  • Reply 4 of 47
    seanrseanr Posts: 15member
    Awkwaaaard...
  • Reply 5 of 47
    rmb0037rmb0037 Posts: 142member
    Man. I certainly hope this doesn't turn into some type of smackdown match in the courtroom between Scott and the rest of the Apple team...
    Hopefully not. It was his own fault he got fired anyways. They're STILL fixing his crap. Although I imagine maps aren't the EASIEST thing to get right..
  • Reply 6 of 47
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

• Reply 7 of 47

It said that Apple was the one calling him to testify so I would assume that wouldn't happen. Also, I think Apple is still holding his last paycheck too.
  • Reply 8 of 47
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SixPenceRicher View Post

It's not like he'll be passing by Tim Cook, Jony Ives, etc. if he is called to the stand just to be asked some questions.  It would just be Apple's legal representation and Samsung's and judge and jury.  All hype, no news here.

• Reply 9 of 47
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    rot'napple wrote: »
    It's not like he'll be passing by Tim Cook, Jony Ives, etc. if he is called to the stand just to be asked some questions.  It would just be Apple's legal representation and Samsung's and judge and jury.  All hype, no news here.
    Yep good click bait and not much else.
  • Reply 10 of 47
    hill60 wrote: »
    Apple should object to any Samsung counsel's requests, cite Grewal and refuse to submit any confidential information to anyone but the judge.
    Now that Samsung has been caught it will be even easier for Apple to oppose any Samsung motions to look at confidential Apple data (sales figures, license agreements, source code...).
  • Reply 11 of 47
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    I predict Scott Forstall will be hired as the VP of Software for Windows Phone & Surface.
  • Reply 12 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

I predict Scott Forstall will be hired as the VP of Software for Windows Phone & Surface.

Good. Windows needs more wood grain and green felt.

• Reply 13 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by seanr View Post

Awkwaaaard...

I think you are assuming Scott Forstall somehow switched allegiances and hates Apple. If so, where's the proof of that? Is he now carrying a Samsung Galaxy S4 in his pocket? Is he on CNN praising Microsoft Surface RT?

• Reply 14 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I think you are assuming Scott Forstall somehow switched allegiances and hates Apple. If so, where's the proof of that? Is he now carrying a Samsung Galaxy S4 in his pocket? Is he on CNN praising Microsoft Surface RT?

Exactly, what Apple person would ever do that .... oh wait a minute, who woz that .... ?
  • Reply 15 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member

LOL, cruel but funny.
  • Reply 16 of 47
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

It said that Apple was the one calling him to testify so I would assume that wouldn't happen. Also, I think Apple is still holding his last paycheck too.

In the State of California, you have to have their last check in their hands when you show them the door.

• Reply 17 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SixPenceRicher View Post

I really wish people who never worked with Scott and the rest at Apple would stop commenting on their relations. The man was a former colleague of mine and it truly is pathetic the myths behind the guy that ring very similar to the clap trap exaggerations that were Steveisms.

• Reply 18 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Steve was the one with the pension for Skeumorphism. Scott just took it too far.

• Reply 19 of 47
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I really wish people who never worked with Scott and the rest at Apple would stop commenting on their relations. The man was a former colleague of mine and it truly is pathetic the myths behind the guy that ring very similar to the clap trap exaggerations that were Steveisms.

I, for one, would relish a bit of truth.

What WAS he really like?

• Reply 20 of 47
    jd_in_sb wrote: »

I just don't understand why they had to let him go.

They could have still took iOS in the direction they wanted to with him on board and Tim could've just been the referee between him and Ive.

I believe he is a force in this industry and he could have still contributed I a big way to apple products.

I think this is the biggest mistake apple made since jobs passing.