SEC ends review of Apple taxes, overseas cash

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    gtr wrote: »
    What an excellent waste of tax dollars THAT was.

What gets me is how an entity can be investigated without reasonable suspicion of wrong doing. Because the company is targeted by an agenda driven press or political action figure does not feel like good cause.
  • Reply 42 of 47
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    You're getting predictable in your old age, Gatorguy.

Saw your deliberate splitting hairs between the term 'tax evasion' and 'tax avoidance' from about six years back.

However, you also know that this was exactly how it was portrayed to the public in the many articles and stories written about it.

One day it would be really interesting for us to sit down and you can tell me the story about how you came to be such a negative proponent of Apple, all the while developing an affinity for one of the worst privacy-respecting companies on the face of the planet.

I can't even imagine what screwed you up that badly.

Happy to have that conversation at any time which might help correct your erroneous view that I'm anti-Apple or hold negative views on them. Just PM me and we'll talk, seriously.
  • Reply 43 of 47
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    christophb wrote: »
    What gets me is how an entity can be investigated without reasonable suspicion of wrong doing. Because the company is targeted by an agenda driven press or political action figure does not feel like good cause.

Exactly!
  • Reply 44 of 47
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Happy to have that conversation at any time which might help correct your erroneous view that I'm anti-Apple or hold negative views on them. Just PM me and we'll talk, seriously.

I'm all in favour in correcting erroneous views of your erroneous views.

Please note that I'll be charging you the standard psychiatric rates, so you'll be getting a great deal.

• Reply 45 of 47
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    I'm all in favour in correcting erroneous views of your erroneous views.

Great! Let's start with one of my anti-Apple posts if you can find one and go from there. You seem to think there's lots of 'em so it should only take a few minutes. I'll wait for your PM with the link.
  • Reply 46 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    christophb wrote: »

Unfortunately the US has a history of this and it's even got a name, "McCarthyism". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCarthyism
  • Reply 47 of 47
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frood View Post

Apple was never under investigation for tax evasion, nor were the other major corporations that were part of the investigation.  This site rarely points it out since it prefers Apple fans feel like Apple is being attacked so they'll get emotional about it.    Other corporations included as part of this same investigation?  Yep.  Google, Microsoft, Hewlett Packard all testified and received quite a bit of press coverage as well.  If all you read is this site, then you'd probably have the impression it was all about Apple.

All were found to be doing more or less the same thing to various degrees- but you bundled two words together that are very distinctly separate...

It tend to agree with your assessment that writers of article try to invoke some sort of emotions in people and around here it is Apple is under attack.

However, when congress calls a company to Washington and asked them to speak, they are under investigation anything they say will cause legal action against the individual or the company depending on how you answer or do not answer their questions. Ask M$ about that when the initially refused to speak to congress about IE and it predatory practices, I think the paid a nice big fine. Also look what happen to Firestone and the Tires on Ford Explorers when their CEO refuse to show up.

The best and only comment that Apple made which really made a difference in all of this was that clearly said they only follow the taxes laws as currently written and would be happy to have them change for the better to allow them to bring back the money. Ie the pointed the finger at congress since they wrote the laws.