Data bites dogma: Apple's iOS ate up Android, Blackberry U.S. market share losses this summer

Comments

• Reply 81 of 114
    Touché.

I should've been more clear that I was referring to the physical buttons, and not just the general concept of buttons. Physical buttons are suseptible -- even prone -- to breaking.

I only have a Samsung duo that I use for international travel, so not intimately familiar with the Samsung Galaxy. I believe the S4 (like the duo) has capacitive buttons, and it is the waterproof ACTIVE that has physical buttons.
  • Reply 82 of 114
    Originally Posted by steve arrogante View Post

Google it

Mmm… nah.

Originally Posted by ExternalStorage View Post

The Galaxy remains three times more expensive at $150. Someone claimed earlier that teens moving to Samsung were doing so because they couldn't afford an iPhone. Hmmmm.....

In fact, it doesn’t. It’s the same price.

But can't we think for a minute what it means if someone is willing to pay three times more for a competitors product?

No, because you’re wrong on the face of it.

I'm ready to dump mine as soon as Verizon offers a high-end Windows 8 phone.

Quick questioWHY?! Windows Phone 8?! Are you mad, man?!

In our home apple is going to see a 50% reduction in market share.

In everyone else’s a 25% increase, apparently.

Apple thinks I am too stupid to change my own battery...

Yeah, nice try: no. They think that only an idiot should have to change their phone’s battery and that the phone should handle such things itself.

The single HOME button is broke... so I need to leave my phone -- and all of my private information -- with some stranger for repair, yet Apple clings to this flawed one-button design.

Don’t mistreat your possessions. That goes for everything you own. Pretty simple to get. How do you manage to break your home button, anyway?

Enjoy your Windows Phone 8 phone whose buttons aren’t even physical so when they break it’s bye bye Sally for the entire device.

I am jumping through all kinds of hoops to try to get some external storage that will work with my phone, and can only get half-baked wifi devices that can save some, but not all, of my valuable data.

It’s a phone. You have 16, 32, and 64GB options for a reason. If you want to plug a hard drive into it, are you sure you’re in the right market?

I can swap out a SIM card when I travel to China next week.

Magical. Are you pretending the iPhone can’t do the same? Please say yes; it’ll save us a ton of trouble.

The menus are accessed with touchscreens, not some "mission critical" home button.

How great it must be to rely entirely on software that can lock up at any moment, stranding you inside an app and making it impossible for you to ever get out. 

Meanwhile, I’ll just be pressing my physical button to force the software to quit.

You don't have to go through crazy contortions to sync a Samsung to a new computer.

Enough with the FUD, please.

And almost all W8 and Android phones have embraced NFC, while arrogant Apple continues the ignore-anything-not-invented-by-apple snub of this great technology.

Ignorance is bliss; enjoy your trash from Microsoft.

• Reply 83 of 114
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Apple thinks I am too stupid to change my own battery... Better left to the "professional", right?
    And almost all W8 and Android phones have embraced NFC, while arrogant Apple continues the ignore-anything-not-invented-by-apple snub of this great technology.

As this market matures, and users become more sophisticated, apple is going to need to offer more than Male SIri, colored plastic cases and low cost phones if they hope to remain a market leader.

Apple doesn't think you're stupid. But after reading your post, we all do. The only time I ever removed my battery on my pre-iPhones is when Android crashed. Fact is the vast majority of consumers don't care.

NFC still can't get traction. Google Wallet dropped the NFC requirement. That's how great it is.
  • Reply 84 of 114
    I was quoting the price in the Best Buy article, which does indeed say $50 for 5c, and $150 for s4. Go check the Verizon website; roughly the same thing, minus the $50 Best Buy gift card. You are comparing it to the S3.

Home button: 439,000 views. Lots of people having problems with the home button. It is not an abuse problem, and its not just me. Yes, it is a simple solution until that one button stops working.
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2595841?start=510&tstart=0

I am not trying to plug a hard drive into the phone. It is a tool... and with other phones I can carry data on xD cards, swap them, and display video, photos, PDF files, etc. The notion that phones are just for calling and/or messaging is a bit dated.

As far as the battery... Not sure why you found that so offensive. When travelling, and/or under heavy usage, it would be great to have a pre-charged spare to swap out.

NFC is great.... have you ever used it?
  • Reply 85 of 114
    These statistics are interesting, but without more disclosure on the methodology, etc, they are really nothing more than a talking point.

And really, we need to be asking why the author felt compelled to write a "circle the wagons" defense of apple.

Here is an interesting real-world action of someone trying to make money selling the devices.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/apple-iphone-5c-best-buy-weekend-50/t/story?id=20463745&ref=http://news.google.com/nwshp?hl=en&tab=wn&ar=1380969155

Best Buy is lowering the price of the 5c to $50. The Galaxy remains three times more expensive at $150. Someone claimed earlier that teens moving to Samsung were doing so because they couldn't afford an iPhone. Hmmmm.....

And can we agree that Best Buy, Walmart, and other retailers would be charging more (and making more profit) on the iPhone if they could?

Apple can be admired for their brilliant execution morphing the iPod into the iPhone. They led the way, and continue to enjoy the benefits of having the first "hit"

But can't we think for a minute what it means if someone is willing to pay three times more for a competitors product?

My entire family has iPhones. I'm ready to dump mine as soon as Verizon offers a high-end Windows 8 phone. My son is moving to the Galaxy as soon as his contract is up. Wife and daughter are happy with their iPhones. In our home apple is going to see a 50% reduction in market share.

The point is that this smartphone market is really only a few years old, and lots of people are going to be coming off contract soon. It'll be interesting to see what happens as more sophisticated users evaluate their needs, and compare features and capabilities.

Apple thinks I am too stupid to change my own battery... Better left to the "professional", right? The single HOME button is broke... so I need to leave my phone -- and all of my private information -- with some stranger for repair, yet Apple clings to this flawed one-button design. I am jumping through all kinds of hoops to try to get some external storage that will work with my phone, and can only get half-baked wifi devices that can save some, but not all, of my valuable data.

Meanwhile, the Galaxy can accept memory cards. I can swap out a SIM card when I travel to China next week. I can have spare batteries for the Samsung phones. The menus are accessed with touchscreens, not some "mission critical" home button. You don't have to go through crazy contortions to sync a Samsung to a new computer.

As this market matures, and users become more sophisticated, apple is going to need to offer more than Male SIri, colored plastic cases and low cost phones if they hope to remain a market leader.

Some advice for you from Abraham Lincoln, "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
  • Reply 86 of 114
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Some advise for you from Abraham Lincoln, "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

For a moment I thought there weren't anymore appropriate posts made in this thread.
  • Reply 87 of 114

I am an extensive user of the iPhone and the iPad.  Read between the lines of what I wrote.  I use them so much that battery life is a problem for me.  I am trying to integrate them MORE into my business needs, and get frustrated that I cannot.  When I travel, I often need to display pictures, videos, and PDF’s in presentations and meetings.  I really want to be able to have them ALL with me, and can’t because of the memory limitations of the devices.  I also take a lot of video and pictures, and would feel much better being able to back it up to a physical device, rather than worry about losing the phone / tablet.  (And let me save you time of insulting me… Yes, I have heard of the Cloud.  You try spontaneously uploading/downloading several gigs of data on 3G…)

Look at the growth in portable power packs… look at the growth in xD cards… look at the number of “charging stations” that are at conferences and airports… and look at the number of people tethered to them.  It is not stupid to want to have extra storage and be able to easily extend the use of your device by swapping batteries.  (And of course, nobody WANTS to carry batteries… but the alternative is what… spend your time on the road hunting for plugs?)

If you travel outside of the USA, you’ll see that NFC is a useful, growing and convenient technology.  It’s not just for payments, either.  The reason it hasn’t yet taken a foothold here is because Apple has such a substantial market share.  Google Wallet removed the NFC requirement not because of a lack of viability in the technology… but because to date Apple has not yet incorporated it.  Oh, and check out the NFC patents Apple has been filing for several years.  Either they plan to incorporate it… or they recognize the potential, but want to impede its growth by using patents as a blocking strategy.

And I am no fan of Android.  I only own an Android phone because I need it when I travel, and the Verizon iPhones do not have the capability of exchanging SIM cards.  I only use it when I travel internationally.  I also have a Nexus tablet, which is OK, but I am not crazy about the intrusive privacy policies of a lot of the apps.  And many corporate IT departments are uber-concerned about allowing Android to connect to their intranets.  Plus, as someone noted, it has performance issues.

And finally, there is no doubt that Windows 8 has its share of problem and then some.  Lack of cohesive strategy, slow growth, shortage of apps, and weak hardware support are just the beginning.  The only reason I’m interested in it at all is because it offers HOPE.  Apple has so many hardware limitations that it makes it hard to use as a serious business/productivity tool, and the Android OS sucks.  Maybe W8 might have a chance to truly service the business user.

So until something better comes along, I’m still using Apple.  Do the insults come from a concern that I don’t love it?

In the end, we are all familiar with the Apple philosophy of “Control the entire ecosystem”.  Apple knows best.  But what I don’t follow is why these chat boards seem to fall into that same sort of sanctimonious “agree with us... or you are wrong, stupid, ignorant, and foolish.”

• Reply 88 of 114
    Quote:

For whatever reason... the reply I made to you did not show up here.

The link/pictures you showed were for the previous generation of the Galaxy -- the S3.  Not sure why you posted that.

The Galaxy S4 -- as shown in the Best Buy ads as well as the Verizon website -- sell for two to three times that of the current generation of the iphone.

I also posted a link to Apple's website showing a thread about the defective HOME button... and the 430,000 views.  It's not due to abuse of the phone, and it is not just me.

I think you misread what I was saying about the hard drive.  I use the iPhone and iPad extensively while travelling.  The notion that it is "just a phone" is a bit antiquated.  I need access to a lot of data, and the Cloud -- security concerns aside -- is not fast or convenient.  I was merely pointing out that other hardware manufacturers make it easy to gain quick access to your own data.

Glad your iPhone is perfect for your needs.  I'll try to think more like you.

• Reply 89 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

And if Google didn't make its Maps as default an Android...

I bet the majority of Androiders don't know how to change the defaults.

You don't have to know how to do it.  The operating system does all the work for you.  If you install another maps app, the next time you launch a link to a map it brings up a box asking you which app you want to use and whether you want to always use that app or just use it one time.

EDIT: I see someone else already posted a screenshot of the default apps selection window.

• Reply 90 of 114
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

I was quoting the price in the Best Buy article, which does indeed say $50 for 5c, and $150 for s4.

Yeah, they’re in no way comparable devices, thanks. Try again.

Home button: 439,000 views. Lots of people having problems with the home button. It is not an abuse problem, and its not just me. Yes, it is a simple solution until that one button stops working.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2595841?start=510&tstart=0

When you have any actual proof of anything instead of “views”, or an actual reason why you are somehow physically incapable of taking care of your possessions such that they do not break, let us know.

I am not trying to plug a hard drive into the phone. It is a tool... and with other phones I can carry data on xD cards, swap them, and display video, photos, PDF files, etc.

And somehow you can only do that on the iPhone with an SD card, not without, huh.

NFC is great.... have you ever used it?

I made no statement as to the quality of NFC or my use thereof. My statement was to your willful lack of knowledge in regard to Apple in this area.

• Reply 91 of 114
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    These statistics are interesting, but without more disclosure on the methodology, etc, they are really nothing more than a talking point.

And really, we need to be asking why the author felt compelled to write a "circle the wagons" defense of apple.

Blah, blah, blahbity blah

• Reply 92 of 114
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogueDogRandy View Post

an old adage is: what does this have to do with the price of tea in china?

in other words, it is china-who gives a rats

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Apple does. But that's (literally) their business, their strategy. I love these armchair critics who sling FUD and DOOM at Apple, but aren't themselves running billion dollar companies. Who am I going to believe: Tim Cook, or "peter236"?

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogueDogRandy View Post

Yes they do. I believe their strategy there won't be that different from here in the US. They are not after the bottom feeders in this country and I doubt they will chase that segment there, or in any market.

Suddenly Newton got the gist. And RogueDog Randy is as right in his follow-up post as he was clueless as to the economic importance to Apple's overall strategy of doing well in China (whether its bubble pops sooner or later with all kinds of implications for every citizen of the planet). 

Apple doing well in China would not only be good for their bottom line, but also for their world-wide cachet.  

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

0.8% point change for BB & Android? That is the news? I think the bigger news is Microsoft, going from 3.0 to 3.2 is more than 6% increase.

So many MS blinders still on here.  I'm in favor of at least a third healthy ecosystem alternative in the mobile space, and a few facts that matter: 

1.  MS is a company with global reach and still deep pockets WinPhone is now #2 in the five largest countries in Europe (@ 9.2%) - and creeping up very close to Apple in Germany. 

2. It always takes MS at least two-three iterations to get their OS re-plumbings right, and 8.1 is clearly a step in a more functional direction.  If they get a new, execution-focused leadership team in place, it's not too late for them to eat away at Android, which is much more who they're competing with than Apple for the foreseeable future.  

WinPhone is actually interesting compared to Android, and free of many of the legacy issues going back to how Android was released with all kinds of badly hacked and stolen IP, with a better path for upgrade (closer to Apple's model).   

3. Their PC OEM's are doing some interesting form factors and once they (very belatedly, admittedly) get their own productivity apps out on their own platform (and remove the last vestige of the desktop on their Surface [nee RT] variant), they should be looking much more alive than the mudslide mess picture they've been presenting to the world for years.

• Reply 93 of 114
    baederbaeder Posts: 25member
    I am an extensive user of the iPhone and the iPad.  Read between the lines of what I wrote.  I use them so much that battery life is a problem for me.  I am trying to integrate them MORE into my business needs, and get frustrated that I cannot.  When I travel, I often need to display pictures, videos, and PDF’s in presentations and meetings.  I really want to be able to have them ALL with me, and can’t because of the memory limitations of the devices.  I also take a lot of video and pictures, and would feel much better being able to back it up to a physical device, rather than worry about losing the phone / tablet.  (And let me save you time of insulting me… Yes, I have heard of the Cloud.  You try spontaneously uploading/downloading several gigs of data on 3G…)

So until something better comes along, I’m still using Apple.  Do the insults come from a concern that I don’t love it?

In the end, we are all familiar with the Apple philosophy of “Control the entire ecosystem”.  Apple knows best.  But what I don’t follow is why these chat boards seem to fall into that same sort of sanctimonious “agree with us... or you are wrong, stupid, ignorant, and foolish.”

I think the insults come from your very first post in the AI forums putting out the same short comings that every trolling android user has trotted out over the last six years. Obviously, for some those short comings are valid, but for many, many people Apple has made the right choices.

It sounds like maybe you're realizing that Apple's products aren't meant for where you want them to go. Fine, but don't try to convince people here that Apple's products are just crap and then after two or three posts say that other company's products are crap too.

If you think your needs are so universal and no one is meeting them, then put your money where your mouth is and design and build one yourself and see how easy it is.

But, please don't start telling us next that it is a shame that Apple's phones don't have a transporter function or something else as ridiculous.
  • Reply 94 of 114
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post

I agree with an earlier poster that Microsoft about to take the #3 spot is the most significant bit of news here. I am no fan of the company or their products but they have a definite advantage by linking their desktop OS to their mobile OS. They also have their own native software development tools. As a developer I am finding the platform hard to ignore.

But please do... The (mobile) world has finally broken free of their unholy grasp!

• Reply 95 of 114
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post

Nobody's saying that, but it's a significant amount of growth relative to the platform's size. Besides, the more successful smartphone platforms the better.

Says who???? Also, the growth seen by MSFT is not significant. Period! And is only one datapoint. Just look at what's happened to Nokia for a clue as to what is going on.

• Reply 96 of 114
    Quote:

...And almost all W8 and Android phones have embraced NFC, while arrogant Apple continues the ignore-anything-not-invented-by-apple snub of this great technology.

So what! Businesses haven't, making it mostly a useless feature for now...

• Reply 97 of 114
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

2. It always takes MS at least two-three iterations to get their OS re-plumbings right, and 8.1 is clearly a step in a more functional direction.  If they get a new, execution-focused leadership team in place, it's not too late for them to eat away at Android, which is much more who they're competing with than Apple for the foreseeable future.  

WinPhone is actually interesting compared to Android, and free of many of the legacy issues going back to how Android was released with all kinds of badly hacked and stolen IP, with a better path for upgrade (closer to Apple's model).   

3. Their PC OEM's are doing some interesting form factors and once they (very belatedly, admittedly) get their own productivity apps out on their own platform (and remove the last vestige of the desktop on their Surface [nee RT] variant), they should be looking much more alive than the mudslide mess picture they've been presenting to the world for years.

"Windows for Pen Computing" was announced in November of 1991. When do you anticipate MS 'turning the corner' with their mobile computing efforts.

Cheers

• Reply 98 of 114
    Quote:

Here is an interesting real-world action of someone trying to make money selling the devices.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/apple-iphone-5c-best-buy-weekend-50/t/story?id=20463745&ref=http://news.google.com/nwshp?hl=en&tab=wn&ar=1380969155

Best Buy is lowering the price of the 5c to $50. The Galaxy remains three times more expensive at $150. Someone claimed earlier that teens moving to Samsung were doing so because they couldn't afford an iPhone. Hmmmm.....

And can we agree that Best Buy, Walmart, and other retailers would be charging more (and making more profit) on the iPhone if they could?

Apple can be admired for their brilliant execution morphing the iPod into the iPhone. They led the way, and continue to enjoy the benefits of having the first "hit"

My entire family has iPhones. I'm ready to dump mine as soon as Verizon offers a high-end Windows 8 phone. My son is moving to the Galaxy as soon as his contract is up. Wife and daughter are happy with their iPhones. In our home apple is going to see a 50% reduction in market share.

The point is that this smartphone market is really only a few years old, and lots of people are going to be coming off contract soon. It'll be interesting to see what happens as more sophisticated users evaluate their needs, and compare features and capabilities.

Apple thinks I am too stupid to change my own battery... Better left to the "professional", right? The single HOME button is broke... so I need to leave my phone -- and all of my private information -- with some stranger for repair, yet Apple clings to this flawed one-button design. I am jumping through all kinds of hoops to try to get some external storage that will work with my phone, and can only get half-baked wifi devices that can save some, but not all, of my valuable data.

Meanwhile, the Galaxy can accept memory cards. I can swap out a SIM card when I travel to China next week. I can have spare batteries for the Samsung phones. The menus are accessed with touchscreens, not some "mission critical" home button. You don't have to go through crazy contortions to sync a Samsung to a new computer.

It's interesting to see how the iHaters are totally thrown by these surveys....LOL.

On the one hand the results based on actual data from US carriers and actual users surveys are dismissed as merely  an "interesting talking point", whereas "shipping", data  which are a pure fantasy invention by such as Strategy Analytics and IDC, who invent numbers and forecasts  to suit their paymasters like Samsung, Android and Microsoft, are treated by Apple haters as "reliable" and quoted to show that Apple is "doomed", that Android and Windows is gaining market share and Windows phones are going to force iPhones into THIRD place, which bizarely was celebrated by a mock funeral of MS employees....LOL

However the facts in Cannacord are supported by Kantar, who instead of relying on fantasy "shipping" numbers, actualy survey users buying habits and have found that iPhone's market share is GROWING YonY in the US, in the EU5 (UK,France, Italy, Spain and Germany) as well as Australia, Japan and Mexico i.e. the advanced economies which are Google's most important advertising markets 

Where Android has been gaining market share has been in poor, developing countries  like China, Africa and India, where their less affluent consumers are buying the cheap "white box" smartphones mainly from China, which use forked versions of Android, which do NOT ALLOW Google to either data mine or place their adverts, and which are UNAPLE TO USE GOOGLE PLAY and therefore are not buyers of Android developer's Apps....LOL

To make matters more worrying for Google their evidence to Congress and analysis of their accounts shows that Google earn 80% of their evenue from iOS and just 20% from Android - see:  http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/03/29/google_earns_80_of_its_mobile_revenue_from_ios_just_20_from_android.html

Having dismissed hard evidence quoted in the article as merely "talking points" ExternalStorage then goes on a long anti-Apple rant in which his "opinions" are stated as compelling "facts" and his "evidence" about his family's buyng intentions, which, even if it were true, is at best is merely anecdotal and of no objective evidential value whatever, especially as it is contradicted by numerous surveys which show the EXACT OPPOSITE to his anecdotal evidence and opinions.

For example, Apple services and products invariably achieve by far the highest user satisfaction, brand loyalty and retention rates, which is why Apple is gaining market share in the above advanced, mature markets. Additionally there are a number of surveys which show that for every iPhone user who moves to Samsung, 2 or 3 Samsung users move to iPhones - which has a very corrosive long term effect on Android's premier brand, which has now even been caught cheating on benchmark tests.

There are also numerous surveys from the likes of Nielsen, Comscore, millennialmedia, Nikkei BP, Ask Your Target Market, Gartner, Piper Jaffry, IBM, MobilAds and others that iOS users are the preferred target market of advertiser, marketeers and Apps developers, because  they are better educated, more affluent, more influential, travel more, buy more goods services on the interent and buy more digital media and more Apps and make far more money for developers.

Regarding ExternalStorage  silly point about the unreliabliity of the iPhone button, for which there is no evidence whatever, just his "opinion" stated as fact, there is in fact significant survey data which contradicts him. According to FixYa, the leading Q&A destination on the Web and Mobile, they found in a survey of 722,556 troubleshooting requests  that iPhones are:

* nearly 3 times more reliable than Samsung's smartphones,

* 5 times more reliable than Nokia's and

* 27 times more reliable than Motorola's.

Hey ExternalStorage,  why let so many inconvenient facts get in the way of your ranting opinions?....LOL

• Reply 99 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Quote:

Quote:

Suddenly Newton got the gist. And RogueDog Randy is as right in his follow-up post as he was clueless as to the economic importance to Apple's overall strategy of doing well in China (whether its bubble pops sooner or later with all kinds of implications for every citizen of the planet). 

Apple doing well in China would not only be good for their bottom line, but also for their world-wide cachet.  

my original comments about china were made because the title of the thread was about the united states... the was no mention of china. I was simply stating that chinas numbers have nothing to do with this discussion. So i was not clueless. Maybe i should have pointed out to everyone here that the thread is about US marketshare. 

• Reply 100 of 114

I just hate it when this clueless trolls talk about sd cards and extra batteries like if those things are the future. Do you want your documents? Use iCloud, or dropbox, or just the program in question. Please...

Even Google's vision of Android doesn't have spare batteries and SD cards, and even the note loses against the iPhone on 4g browsing.

The only problem with Apple and the iPhone is the lack of a bigger screen option, that's it.

Then we have crappy macbook air screen, no retina for the mini and and the cMBP should go away. those are my only complains.