Poor Windows 8, Surface RT performance means pay cut for Ballmer

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

Don't forget that the board of directors represents a potential pool of future CEOs so any decision they make regarding the current CEO's compensation could have a direct effect on their personal financial future. 

• Reply 22 of 49
    sirdirsirdir Posts: 187member
    I'ts unbelievable how Microsoft still treats their customers. I wanted to install my free media center license on my surface pro (I'm one of the few that has one...). In the end I had to completely reinstall the device because the key was marked invalid, the upgrade to media center was done anyway, window was no longer activated, the original key is only hidden in the uefi firmware and there isn't any way to downgrade back to pro anyway.
    Horrible! To really appreciate apple, you really need to use a microsoft product from time to time.
  • Reply 23 of 49
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    If there is any justice, MS complimented Apple's iPod with Zune, Apple's iTunes with MarketPlace, Apple's iPhone with first laughter, then faux burial, then Windows Mobile 8, Apple's iPad with Surface RT and Pro... NOW MS should compliment Ballmer with Apple's late CEO Steve Job's salary... One Dollar!
  • Reply 24 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

Microsoft's profit isn't as good as Apple's for two reasons: first, PCs are a dying industry. Second, Balmer had nothing to do with those profits; he merely inherited them from Gates.

Yes, currently Microsoft is turning a profit, but at the same time Balmer as CEO has cost them billions more profit.

And again, urging us to use common sense and reliable information here, with what dataset do you have to prove that Steve Ballmer remained CEO of Microsoft at the expense of A) how many more billions of profit to shareholders and employees and B) cite which specific actions would absolutely have generated MORE money.  Please cite specific information to prove your comments are based in fact and not just rhetoric.  Extra credit if you offer data proving that Steve Ballmer generated zero dollars for Microsoft during his tenure post-Gates as you claim while somehow explaining the following:  How can a CEO can remain on the job for more than a decade, have one sour quarter among more than a decade of profitability and yet still be blamed for zero growth.

?????  [SIGH]

• Reply 25 of 49
    bocboc Posts: 72member
    Microsoft's Board of Directors has no clothes on %u2026 and no one is willing to admit it.

A great salesman ought to stay as the sales manager.

Microsoft should have found a product visionary to head MS so they could lead rather than follow the industry slowly.

MS has lost a dozen years under lackluster leaders.
  • Reply 26 of 49

He should be canned. He is an embarrassment to his company and the laughing stock of the tech world.  His salary should be 0.

• Reply 27 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BoC View Post

Microsoft's Board of Directors has no clothes on %u2026 and no one is willing to admit it.

A great salesman ought to stay as the sales manager.

Microsoft should have found a product visionary to head MS so they could lead rather than follow the industry slowly.

MS has lost a dozen years under lackluster leaders.

This!

• Reply 28 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VonBrick View Post

And again, urging us to use common sense and reliable information here, with what dataset do you have to prove that Steve Ballmer remained CEO of Microsoft at the expense of A) how many more billions of profit to shareholders and employees and B) cite which specific actions would absolutely have generated MORE money.  Please cite specific information to prove your comments are based in fact and not just rhetoric.  Extra credit if you offer data proving that Steve Ballmer generated zero dollars for Microsoft during his tenure post-Gates as you claim while somehow explaining the following:  How can a CEO can remain on the job for more than a decade, have one sour quarter among more than a decade of profitability and yet still be blamed for zero growth.

?????  [SIGH]

Well, we can easily point to the failed Surface launch in which they had to write down $900 million in addition to having spent about $1 billion in marketing expenses for it. Asking for concrete proof is ridiculous, as none of us has a time machine. But it doesn't take a genius to see that Ballmer has failed at everything that didn't involve maintaining the existing cash cows. Even those are being undermined now.

• Reply 29 of 49

Wonder how he will pay his mortgage now? It's a shame.

• Reply 30 of 49
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by VonBrick View Post

?????  [SIGH]

How can a CEO stay on the job after a decade of poor performance?  Support from the founder.

What evidence is there that Ballmer was a poor CEO?  Take a look at the 10-year stock performance of MSFT, AAPL, GOOG, ORCL, IBM.  Which one of those 5 went nowhere in 10 years?  If all your competitors in various sectors managed impressive returns and your company did not, perhaps the leadership is to blame?

Ballmer managed to keep MSFT's de facto monopoly profits coming in, but does anyone think MSFT is in a stronger position now than it was 10 years ago?

The standard for a Fortune 500 CEO is not "did he prevent the company from going bankrupt?"  Is the standard for an NFL coach, did he win some game last season?  Do you measure your own success over 10 years by asking "am I making as much money as I did 10 years ago?"  Of course not.  There is a reason the MSFT stock price shot up the day Ballmers' departure was announced.

You don't have to be an Apple fan to see that MSFT could have done much, much better with someone else in the big chair.  Of course long-time Apple fans can be excused a sense of schadenfreude witnessing the decade of MSFT/Ballmer blundering.

• Reply 31 of 49
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    iaeen wrote: »
    Microsoft's profit isn't as good as Apple's for two reasons: first, PCs are a dying industry..

Yes, but Apple was smart enough to realize that and move into new markets. Microsoft tried to move into new markets (years after Apple showed them the way) and then failed. So they had two failures - both strategy and execution.
  • Reply 32 of 49
    Xbox lost 8 billion $ what can I say it's still being sold wtf?
  • Reply 33 of 49
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    jragosta wrote: »
    Yes, but Apple was smart enough to realize that and move into new markets. Microsoft tried to move into new markets (years after Apple showed them the way) and then failed. So they had two failures - both strategy and execution.

That was exactly my point.
  • Reply 34 of 49
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Ballmer owns about 408 million shares of Microsoft. Microsoft pays a 0.23 cent a share quarterly dividend. Unless my math is off, Ballmer is making about 11 million dollars a quarter in dividends. About 44 million a year in dividend. The fact he draws a salary when he was given the shares and pushed the dividend is crazy. 

• Reply 35 of 49
    malax wrote: »
    "
    Ballmer shocked the tech world some weeks ago by announcing that he 
    <a href="http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/08/23/microsoft-ceo-steve-ballmer-to-retire-within-the-next-year" style="border-style:none;text-align:left;" target="_blank">will leave Microsoft</a>
     within the next year..."
    Shouldn't that be "The tech world was shocked that the Microsoft board finally showed Ballmer the door after years of tolerating his complete denial of, and inability to lead in, the so-called 'post-PC' world."

Yes, but it is easier to say 'Ballmer shocked the tech world some weeks ago by announcing that he will leave Microsoft'.
  • Reply 36 of 49
    sirdir wrote: »
    I'ts unbelievable how Microsoft still treats their customers. I wanted to install my free media center license on my surface pro (I'm one of the few that has one...). In the end I had to completely reinstall the device because the key was marked invalid, the upgrade to media center was done anyway, window was no longer activated, the original key is only hidden in the uefi firmware and there isn't any way to downgrade back to pro anyway.
    Horrible! To really appreciate apple, you really need to use a microsoft product from time to time.

We have a problem here in my company as well, though (thankfully) nothing Surface related.

A couple of us have MBPs with Bootcamp and Windows 7 installed, since our main work is with Visual Studio. Now, with Windows 8, we get reamed if we want to upgrade. The Windows 8 versions available for purchase are only for upgrades. We cannot buy a new install version.

So, while we can possibly upgrade, we cannot install Windows 8 on any new Macs and cannot install Windows 7 either, since they stopped selling licences for it.

When we called up MS Support (an oxymoron), they said something to the effect of us having to go through a lot of hoops, pay a lot of money and then get a DVD-R of Windows 8, which would be what they give OEMs.

A real pain. It looks like the next few guys will not be getting MBPs or MacMinis and will have to settle for Dell.
  • Reply 37 of 49
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    A couple of us have MBPs with Bootcamp and Windows 7 installed, since our main work is with Visual Studio.

I take it you guys need the full power of native, and vitualization is not an option? Otherwise W7 is still available.
    Now, with Windows 8, we get reamed if we want to upgrade. The Windows 8 versions available for purchase are only for upgrades. We cannot buy a new install version.

That is the weirdest thing I heard I've heard. Coming from MS, kinda understandable.
    When we called up MS Support (an oxymoron)

LOL!
    and will have to settle for Dell.

Ah, that isn't that bad, really. You'd still be running Windows, just like in Bootcamp. Though Windows does run faster on a Mac than on a Wintel box, but whatever, it's only work, right.
  • Reply 38 of 49
    VonBrick wrote: »
    I'm a bit baffled as to how anyone who understands business, investor expectations and simple math can pretend that a profit based on products like Windows and Office are somehow invalidated by another companies successes or status in a specific market segment (such as mobile).

Because that other company's mobile business profits alone are larger than all of Microsoft's businesses PUT TOGETHER.

There's your "simple math".
  • Reply 39 of 49
    philboogie wrote: »
    Ah, that isn't that bad, really. You'd still be running Windows, just like in Bootcamp. Though Windows does run faster on a Mac than on a Wintel box, but whatever, it's only work, right.

Sure, but for the 'home' part, the guys with Dell machines are still stuck with Windows. With an MBP, all my personal work is on OS X.
  • Reply 40 of 49
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macboy Pro View Post

Wonder how he will pay his mortgage now? It's a shame.

With about 44 million a year coming in on the 408 million shares of stock he owns, I think he will somehow survive.