Google takes its wearable Glass on the road with new 'Experience Tour'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 77
    Originally Posted by stylorouge View Post

Google Glass is amazing. The future. So many applications.

“Such amaze, so future”, huh? :no:

As a composer I conducted a recording session with Glass I could see the score in front of me…

It’s called a stand. Been around for centuries.

…plus I could record video and show to people afterwards from a conductor’s point of view how it looks.

And vomit from the motion of your head.

Also I paint and I put a portrait in front of me and painted.

Google Glass: We cheated, now you can do it, too.

Also GPS function and Google translate helps when I am in a foreign country.

So does a GPS or any smartphone.

• Reply 22 of 77
    Wow, lots of hate up in here... These people look no more dumb than anyone staring down at their smartphone.
  • Reply 23 of 77
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    Now Google just needs to invent a waiver form that pops up out of thin air in every public space %u2013 privacy issue solved!
    Better yet, instead of saying "cheeeese" for a photo, people could say "Gooooogle" and Glass could apply the auto-blur technology that Maps uses, to any face in a video/photo that didn't say "Google"
  • Reply 24 of 77
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor

Hi Tadd, 

At the Friday event one visitor per Guide was allowed to wear glass at a time. The Saturday event had higher attendance and more attendees were wearing it at a given point in time.

Reviewing photos involves swiping on the temple trackpad. Deleting them is a tap and swipe down.

Glass originally only worked with iPhone as a Bluetooth headset and email device (provided you enabled Personal Hotspot on the phone.) Since they've changed it to have greater independence over Wi-Fi, it's supposed to be possible to Navigate without having it paired to an Android device with the Glass app installed. 

Emails and Text notifications arrive on it and a tap lets you read them more fully. What I found is that dictating a reply invisibly attaches a signature "sent from Google Glass" which some recipients found pretentious. 

I also found that plugging my ears with my fingers worked better than cupping my ears to hear what Glass was trying to tell me.

You're correct, you have to talk to it or tap it to interact with it. Controlling it from an app is not possible.

It will get internet from Wi-Fi or Bluetooth on an Android device and works with an iPhone using personal hotspot. The iPhone doesn't have a Glass app, so it's possible to use Glass for internet with iPhone.

The largish thing behind the ear is the battery.

The MicroUSB connector is normally power-only, or for flashing the device if you wanted to load a modified firmware. Sync takes place over wi-fi, and it requires photographing a QR code to associate with a google account in order to sync personal information over wi-fi.

I'm not sure what images you see on the internet that aren't of the current device - the device hasn't changed since they shipped it to Explorers in May or June.

Commenting on the food didn't seem important, although I would like to point out that the Friday event had beer, wine and cocktails service. Apparently, Saturday attendees got stiffed on those beverages?

• Reply 25 of 77
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    alienzed wrote: »
    Wow, lots of hate up in here... These people look no more dumb than anyone staring down at their smartphone.

People can put their phones away. With Glass, you wouldn't know if the Glasshole is paying attention to you or not. Like those peeps with bluetooths always in their ears.
  • Reply 26 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

Yup.   Remember how all the Apple loyalists though that having a 4" phone made you look like you were carrying around a giant brick?  Those same people are now saying that Apple invented the 4" phone.  Now they say that anything over 4" is too big.   Guess what tune they will be singing when Apple releases a 4"+ phone?   It's the same thing when the rumours were abound that Apple was going to release a cheaper plastic iPhone.  "NO WAY THEY WOULD EVER DO THIS", "Apple has standards" and "Nope. Wrong." were the comments.  Those same people are now saying that Apple invented polycarbonate for phones and that the 5c is now one of the natural wonders of the world.  You'll know who the posters are as they tend to say the same thing over and over.

So the best thing to do is just ignore the hate comments where people get very angry at Google for any reason and instead focus on the news and talk about the actual articles.  

Frankly, I think the product is pretty neat and it is a definite first step towards the next thing.  I don't think the watch is the market to be.  Don't like the Pebble or any of the other smart watch innovators and I doubt the iWatch is going to sway me to replace my watch.   Glass though has definite promise and as other have mentioned, I can definitely see wearing it certain situations.  All the time?  I'll have to wait and see how it performs.

• Reply 27 of 77
    Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

These people look no more dumb than anyone staring down at their smartphone.

Talk about stupidity.

• Reply 28 of 77

A.k.a. "How To Look Like A Ridiculous Nerd" Tour - what a train wreck.

• Reply 29 of 77
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Fotoformat View Post

Quote... "All attendees signed a waiver permitting them to be photographed before being admitted to the event."

I'm guessing that was because a TV company is making a compilation of puzzled people slapping their foreheads, looking up at the ceiling and generally looking like idiots!

Actually the waiver is because they plan to violate your personal privacy and since you might not be a gmail or other google product user where you signed away any right to privacy you might think you had they had to make sure their bases were covered.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

It may be only a niche product at first but there's more than a few professionals that are excited about it. Once they're on board the general public will be more accepting of it too IMO.

http://mhadegree.org/will-google-glass-revolutionize-the-medical-industry/

http://readwrite.com/2013/06/07/google-glass-5-industries-it-will-change-forever#awesm=~ojBJsQq94CCBko

http://jalopnik.com/five-reasons-why-google-glass-could-be-great-for-gearhe-476333253

Of course there are people out there who think it a good product or idea. There were lots of people in the 1950's who thought using an x-ray machine to view your feet while trying on new shoes was a great idea as well, but we found out it was bad for your health.

• Reply 30 of 77
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

This picture says it all. Every person I have seen so far using these looks like this women her eye are off in different direction and she is struggling to use it, it not something natural to do. She just looks in pain.

• Reply 31 of 77

I can practically smell the fear on these forums.  A company has made a unique and innovative product, albeit a first generation model with kinks to be smoothed out over time, and Apple has no competing product on the radar that we are aware of.  Glass is definitely opening the door to a new category of computers that will be commonplace in the next 10 years as the technology evolves and becomes more consumer-friendly.

Let your fear melt away!  Apple will have their own glasses for you to wear.  In the meantime, enjoy the debut of a Google product that is futuristic, does not infringe on the design of any Apple product, and defines a new category of devices.  Or is that what you're all so scared of?  That now Apple will clearly have to "copy" from Google to enter this market?  That Google is the first without question?  That there weren't even any attempts to make a product like this until Google made it and now Google has wide public recognition of its status as the first mover?  Eh, that's not too scary.  They probably won't sue Apple when it makes its own iGlasses.

• Reply 32 of 77
    I swear to GOD, I will smack in the face anyone trying to talk to me with one of those stupid things on.

Be warned.
  • Reply 33 of 77
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    maestro64 wrote: »
    Of course there are people out there who think it a good product or idea. There were lots of people in the 1950's who thought using an x-ray machine to view your feet while trying on new shoes was a great idea as well, but we found out it was bad for your health.

There were lots of people who dissed the iPad and the iPhone. They're dissing an iWatch and iTV while still vaporware. Perhaps you even remember claims that the iPhone might cause brain tumors.

So yeah perhaps you do have a point. A new technology/product can be successful in spite of naysayers, the unimaginative, or those afraid of doing things in a new way.
  • Reply 34 of 77
    timmydaxtimmydax Posts: 284member
    Remember how all the Apple loyalists though that having a 4" phone made you look like you were carrying around a giant brick?
    Remember how people said that about the original iphone? Apple made the phone smaller when they made the screen bigger for a reason. What do you think that could be?

Those same people are now saying that Apple invented the 4" phone.  Now they say that anything over 4" is too big.   Guess what tune they will be singing when Apple releases a 4"+ phone?
    Apple did manage to make the best 4" screen phone out there, judging by demand. If some people want to guess apple will not release a phone with a comparable form factor to current 5"/6" phones, they might be right. You seem to saying they definitely will, which seems equally naive.

It's the same thing when the rumours were abound that Apple was going to release a cheaper plastic iPhone.  "NO WAY THEY WOULD EVER DO THIS", "Apple has standards" and "Nope. Wrong." were the comments.  Those same people are now saying that Apple invented polycarbonate for phones and that the 5c is now one of the natural wonders of the world.
    Are those actual quotes!?! I haven't seen anyone's correct prediction of the 5C, other than that it would come in the leaked plastic back. The analysts and commenters that claimed Apple needed to release it to replace the 4S price-point to compete with Android were completely wrong.

...the best thing to do is just ignore the hate comments where people get very angry
    Maybe I should have...

...at Google for any reason...
    So there is no valid reason to be angry at Google? Ok.

...and instead focus on the news and talk about the actual articles.

Frankly, I think the product is pretty neat and it is a definite first step towards the next thing.
    Ok so you like something about it. What?

I don't think the watch is the market to be.  Don't like the Pebble or any of the other smart watch innovators and I doubt the iWatch is going to sway me to replace my watch.
    Nothing to do with the article, but it's interesting that you wear a watch and wouldn't replace it with something more functional if the opportunity arose, but would wear this on your face...

Glass though has definite promise and as other have mentioned, I can definitely see wearing it certain situations.  All the time?  I'll have to wait and see how it performs.
    ... but even then not really.

So this was just trolling then.
  • Reply 35 of 77
    timmydaxtimmydax Posts: 284member
    I can practically smell the fear on these forums...

...Apple will have their own glasses for you to wear.  In the meantime, enjoy the debut of a Google product that is futuristic, does not infringe on the design of any Apple product, and defines a new category of devices.  Or is that what you're all so scared of?  That now Apple will clearly have to "copy" from Google to enter this market?  That Google is the first without question?  That there weren't even any attempts to make a product like this until Google made it and now Google has wide public recognition of its status as the first mover?  Eh, that's not too scary.  They probably won't sue Apple when it makes its own iGlasses.

Um, no.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/159442/apple-worked-on-google-glass-like-device-decided-it-wasnt-worth-it

Why would anyone be afraid? Seems like an odd thing to say. It doesn't compete with anything from Apple in any way. People think these things are weird and have no current practical application for them. How is that hard to comprehend?
  • Reply 36 of 77
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I can practically smell the fear on these forums.  A company has made a unique and innovative product, albeit a first generation model with kinks to be smoothed out over time, and Apple has no competing product on the radar that we are aware of.  Glass is definitely opening the door to a new category of computers that will be commonplace in the next 10 years as the technology evolves and becomes more consumer-friendly.

Let your fear melt away!  Apple will have their own glasses for you to wear.  In the meantime, enjoy the debut of a Google product that is futuristic, does not infringe on the design of any Apple product, and defines a new category of devices.  Or is that what you're all so scared of?  That now Apple will clearly have to "copy" from Google to enter this market?  That Google is the first without question?  That there weren't even any attempts to make a product like this until Google made it and now Google has wide public recognition of its status as the first mover?  Eh, that's not too scary.  They probably won't sue Apple when it makes its own iGlasses.

The only thing we fear is Losing our privacy with Google.
    gatorguy wrote: »
    There were lots of people who dissed the iPad and the iPhone. They're dissing an iWatch and iTV while still vaporware. Perhaps you even remember claims that the iPhone might cause brain tumors.

So yeah perhaps you do have a point. A new technology/product can be successful in spite of naysayers, the unimaginative, or those afraid of doing things in a new way.

Hardly vaporware as nothing was announced.
  • Reply 37 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by focuspuller View Post

I swear to GOD, I will smack in the face anyone trying to talk to me with one of those stupid things on.

Be warned.

Lol okay, but if you slap me I will press charges.

I hope Google ends up getting this right. I can see some cool uses for Glass, especially if it can interface seamlessly with my iPhone. It would be really nice to be able to read and respond to texts, for example. Like others, my main concern would be folks taking photos of you that you're unaware of. Would be too easy to do.
  • Reply 38 of 77
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... or that staring slightly up instead of at the people in front of you can be disconcerting.

Not to mention creepy.  Zombie-like.

I wonder when the first #Glasshole will sue Google for causing them to step into an open manhole.

Or for causing them to get hit by a bus.  It's bound to happen.

• Reply 39 of 77
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by focuspuller View Post

Be warned.

Lol okay, but if you slap me I will press charges.

I hope Google ends up getting this right. I can see some cool uses for Glass, especially if it can interface seamlessly with my iPhone. It would be really nice to be able to read and respond to texts, for example. Like others, my main concern would be folks taking photos of you that you're unaware of. Would be too easy to do.

I envision a market for "Glass Shades." Little black microfiber cloths that you can drape over the Google Glass camera.  So the #Glasshole across the table from you can't shoot photos or videos of you.

Kickstarter anyone?

• Reply 40 of 77
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

They look autistic to me. Could also be Durham residents.

On a more serious note, 

Why is this funny?

It seems like you think it's funny since you follow it with "on a more serious note". Could you explain the joke?