Apple to report fourth quarter earnings on October 28

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited January 2014
Apple said Monday it plans to announce its fourth fiscal quarter results immediately following the close of the stock market on October 28.

The results, which cover the company's operations from July through September, will include the first full week of sales for the company's sales record-breaking iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c.

As usual, Apple will conduct a conference call to discuss the financial results on Monday, October 28, 2013 at 2:00 p.m. PT / 5:00 p.m. ET. In the last quarterly call, Apple reported earnings of $6.9 billion on sales of 31.2 million iPhones, 14.6 million iPads, and 3.8 million Macs. That quarter saw Apple doing $35.4 billion in total revenue.

The forthcoming call will likely give investors and tech industry observers some notion of just how well Apple's newest iPhones are doing. The devices sold nine million units in just their first three days of availability, and investors will be eager to see how that may impact Apple's bottom line. The new iPhones, though, were only on sale for the last ten days of the quarter, and their true impact may not be fully felt until Apple's Q1 FY14 reporting.

Apple, though, did appear encouraged by the performance of its newest handsets. Following the launch weekend for the iPhone 5s and 5c, Apple revised its earnings guidance upward. The company expects its earnings to be near the high end of its previously provided range of $34 to $37 billion. It also believes its gross margin will fall at the higher end of its previous range of between 36 and 37 percent.

Wall Street analysts have been mixed on Apple's prospects for the just-ended quarter, with some pointing to apparent saturation of the high-end smartphone market and bemoaning Apple's price point for the iPhone 5c. The day after Apple's "lower-cost" iPhone was revealed, Credit Suisse, Bank of America Merrill Lynch, and UBS all cut their ratings on AAPL stock from "buy" to "neutral."

British financial services firm Barclays, for one, was down on Apple's prospects of late, saying that the Cupertino company needed a "Siri-like moment" to differentiate the iPhone 5s and 5c. Prior to the launch of the new handsets, Barclays forecast a Q413 earnings per share of $7.50, as well as a two percent year-over-year revenue decline to $35.4 billion. After Apple announced strong first weekend sales, though, Barclays raised its price target for AAPL from $525 to $540.

Others were less impressed. UBS' Steven Milunovich noted that demand for Apple's devices appeared weaker than expected in key areas like China, the largest market in the world for mobile devices. The 5c was meant to boost Apple's fortunes in emerging markets like China, and Milunovich believes that the Chinese consumer's response has been "muted." The UBS analyst did not predict any specific sales figures for the quarter past, but he did maintain a "Neutral" rating, as well as his firm's $520 price target.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    seems a week late%u2026 wonder if they have more important stuff they have to deal with before that%u2026.;-)
  • Reply 2 of 22
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    That seems later than normal

I wonder if they want another week to see sales to help determine Q4 guidance

Also, they likely want to give a buffer to the Oct special event
  • Reply 3 of 22
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    28 is an unusual. Apple typically released earnings around 23-25 and I don't remember the last time it did a release on Monday.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    archarch Posts: 66member

Maybe they want to buyback more stock at the current price before announcing the profit and buyback figures.

• Reply 5 of 22
    Don't these earnings calls generally follow the special events by about a week? So about the 22nd for the event maybe? A week later than we've been thinking...
  • Reply 6 of 22
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

This quarter is going to be huge.

• Reply 7 of 22
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    I found the last two cases that Apple did earning release on Monday.
    1. Monday, Jan 25, 2010 Apple Reports Q1 2010 Results
    on Jan 27, 2010 Apple held a spring event and introduced iPad first generation

2. Monday Oct 18, 2010 Apple Reports Q4 2010 Results
    on Oct 20, 2010 Apple held a fall event and introduced all new MacBook Air

3. Monday Oct 28, 2013 Apple is to report Q4 2013 Results
    on Oct 30, 2010 Apple will hold a fall event and introduce........ (one can only hope)
  • Reply 8 of 22
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    No iTV or iwatch = fail. /s

Hope Apple knocks it out of the park!
  • Reply 9 of 22
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

No iTV or iwatch = fail. /s

Hope Apple knocks it out of the park!

The cover is coming off the ball!  ;)

• Reply 10 of 22
    The Apple quarter will go through Sep 28th. So there will be more than One Full week of iPhone sales. A total of 9 days. If they sold 9 million in three days, that what are your guesses for 9 days? Is apple even going to disclose this?
  • Reply 11 of 22
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

I hope they just kill it.

I hope the China sales are huge and they announce a China Mobile deal before the event.

I want all the publications like the LA Times to publicly retract their claims that the 5C isn't selling well.

• Reply 12 of 22
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    512ke wrote: »
    I hope they just kill it.

I hope the China sales are huge and they announce a China Mobile deal before the event.

I want all the publications like the LA Times to publicly retract their claims that the 5C isn't selling well.

After the iPhone launch they revised their earnings ote ducting so I suspect they will kill it, even by Apple standards, but we'll still hear how Apple will only go down from here on out.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,111member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by oberpongo View Post

The Apple quarter will go through Sep 28th. So there will be more than One Full week of iPhone sales. A total of 9 days. If they sold 9 million in three days, that what are your guesses for 9 days? Is apple even going to disclose this?

Probably not a whole lot more than 9 million, unfortunately, because that was their initial stock, and anything they sold after they sold the 9 million would have to have been built and shipped in those few remaining days (whereas they presumably had weeks to accumulate the initial 9M).

• Reply 14 of 22
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    arch wrote: »
    Maybe they want to buyback more stock at the current price before announcing the profit and buyback figures.

That's fine with me if true :)
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Probably a planned event for October 22. Invites should go out tomorrow or Wednesday.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    [COLOR=blue][SIZE=4]

Why am I blue? My iThingS purchase on October 1st (I received it on the third and bout a red iPhone 5S case for it on the 5th) won't be reported until January!

Here is what I can tell you.

Fingerprint opening. Works great and I like it.

Camera. Really great camera. Slow motion? Total killer. Stills? Money maker.

Red case? Love it.

Downside? None so far.

Btw, that 9 million number? That didn't include online buyers like me, even if I had ordered in last quarter.

It'll be a great earnings report. True.

[/SIZE][/COLOR]
  • Reply 17 of 22
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Here's a prediction: Apple will report one of the largest quarters in corporate history (maybe the largest), they will smash their own records (which have already smashed all previous records), they will report insane sales, profit, and revenue, yet their stock will drop, because those #s might not match up with those that some analysts pulled out of their asses.

• Reply 18 of 22
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    512ke wrote: »

Dream on; no way the papers are going to retract, even if you're right.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    slurpy wrote: »
    Here's a prediction: Apple will report one of the largest quarters in corporate history (maybe the largest), they will smash their own records (which have already smashed all previous records), they will report insane sales, profit, and revenue, yet their stock will drop, because those #s might not match up with those that some analysts pulled out of their asses.
    If those analysts hadn't pulled those estimates out of their asses the stock would not have gained much in the first place!
  • Reply 20 of 22
    oberpongo wrote: »
    If those analysts hadn't pulled those estimates out of their asses the stock would not have gained much in the first place!

It doesn't take an incompetent analyst to sell a solid stock. The stock "speaks" for itself.