Fox News' giant new Microsoft touch screens have fewer pixels than an iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 138
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    stylorouge wrote: »
    Probably is a touch screen HDTV not a tablet.

Really? I never would have guessed that a 55" device was a TV rather than a tablet. :no:
  • Reply 22 of 138

I can understand perfectly well, why Fox News doesn't need higher resolution on their screens. To retweet some tweets it is absolutely sufficient. But I guess they could have saved some bucks.  LOL

• Reply 23 of 138
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    jragosta wrote: »
    Who in the world wants to use a 55" TV as a touch screen? A better solution would be to give the reporters iPads and then put an Apple TV on each large screen TV - using AIr Play to let the reporter manipulate the iPad and show what they want on the big screen. Way less than half the cost and far more useful (for example, the reporter could continue to look at the camera instead of showing their backside).
    Fox News actually argued (and won) a case in front of the FL Supreme Court claiming that they had the right to lie on air and that nothing required them to tell the truth.

It's Florida. Nothing here surprises me.

Re: the giant slab...no. I'd tell my employer to F off if they sat a 55 inch screen 20 inches from my nose.

And finally...it's Fox News, what do you expect? They still won't be able to see the truth that is now, literally, larger than life and right under their nose.
  • Reply 24 of 138
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member

This just in...Fox News also found to have less news than anyone else.

• Reply 25 of 138
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I don't get the point of this story, or at least what it was to do with iPad pixels.
  • Reply 26 of 138
    Don't these screens generate a lot heat?
  • Reply 27 of 138
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McDave View Post

Isn't that the Galaxy Note 55? Comes with a free winch to get it up to your ear, fist-touch for when you realise software written for a 4-inch display doesn't stretch that well and a Shetland Pony to aid mobility.

lol

But it comes with a faux plastic "like Tempurpedic" cover so when you go camping it doubles up as a bed too.

phabed?

• Reply 28 of 138
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Really? I never would have guessed that a 55" device was a TV rather than a tablet. :no:

Who would have thought? For a second there I thought my God, love to browse with this on my sofa. :)
  • Reply 29 of 138
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    Don't these screens generate a lot heat?

With all the hot air in the studio, it goes unnoticed.
  • Reply 30 of 138
    This article only made me ask myself "who cares"?

My 1080p monitor has fewer pixels than an iPad. So does my 2G iPad, and my iPod touch, and my smartphone, and the MacBook Air, and every MacBook (Pro) sold prior to 2012.

What's the point? Are you disappointed that it's not Apple technology?

This is blogging at its worst.
  • Reply 31 of 138
    dbtincdbtinc Posts: 134member
    You don't watch them for news so who cares what resolution their screens have - Faux Noise is nothing more than a right-wing propaganda machine, frothing at the mouth and arousing the knuckle-dragging mouth breathers.
  • Reply 32 of 138
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I don't get the point of this story, or at least what it was to do with iPad pixels.

It's Microsoft technology, so apple people have a primal need to make fun of it. 

I actually saw several examples of this tech at Infocomm this summer.  They're mostly frames that snap on existing displays.  Samsung (hiss!) made one that seemed to work really well.  These things are designed for hanging a display on a wall in a conference room or a classroom.  Turns a TV into a Smartboard.  The stands that Fox are using were demoed primarily as digital signage.

• Reply 33 of 138
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dbtinc View Post

You don't watch them for news so who cares what resolution their screens have - Faux Noise is nothing more than a right-wing propaganda machine, frothing at the mouth and arousing the knuckle-dragging mouth breathers.

Mostly true. But such a comment requires acknowledging that ALL major televised media is nothing more than chicken-wing propaganda, straight from intelligence services and the PR machine. Fox is just one particular brand, for a particular brand of viewers. CNN is another, for a different type of idiot.?

I still know lots of people that think these squawking lie machines are actually, "The News".

• Reply 34 of 138
    I wonder what their special realtime-journalist gear-watch will look like - 9"? And the journalist glass? Gives me a headache...
  • Reply 35 of 138
    And what can they do on these screens that they couldn't do on a screen half or quarter the size? They look completely ridiculous in a news room scenario. It's like some kind of weird Tom Cruise movie!!
  • Reply 36 of 138
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    I thought that photo was a joke when I saw it yesterday. Why are the bezels so big? They are bigger than the iPad even if you were to shrink the 55" down to 9.7".
  • Reply 37 of 138

Aren't the people using them likely to get shoulder problems, as it looks like they'll need to stretch across to touch some parts of the screen? It's not going to be comfortable after a few hours, I wouldn't have thought.

• Reply 38 of 138
    notscottnotscott Posts: 247member
    The underlying truth, here, is that nobody wants to see news people sitting in their seats during a long segment. These bats are simply props, part of the landscape that makes the newsroom visually interesting. It is four or five tweets per screen because they will be part of the image that also includes the operator and the anchor.
  • Reply 39 of 138
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    willkill07 wrote: »
    This article only made me ask myself "who cares"?

My 1080p monitor has fewer pixels than an iPad. So does my 2G iPad, and my iPod touch, and my smartphone, and the MacBook Air, and every MacBook (Pro) sold prior to 2012.

What's the point? Are you disappointed that it's not Apple technology?

This is blogging at its worst.

As a viewer you would care. It's unlikely that your 1080p is 55" which means your HDTV's pixels are smaller than the ones in those FOX displays. It's also unlikely you sit within arm's length of your HDTV which means that the pixels don't have to be small enough to get a certain effect.

Bottom line, for a 55" display that your eyes are less than 3' from 4K would be needed for decent usage.

That said, it's clear that neither FOX nor MS are caring about the users of these monstrosities but instead using them for their the viewers which are not only sitting on the other side of the camera but likely in some bubble built by FOX to help keep out logic and reason.
  • Reply 40 of 138
    It's a neat idea. Networked news information stations and feeding that to a main reporter. Resolution aside...oh and the general crap of Fox News, let's give them some props for pulling this together.

Agree on all counts. Though I will admit that Fox, CNN, MSNBC? All have their agenda, very little real news these days. I watch all, form my opinions, look stuff up. So as bad as they can be, there is a place for all of them, as there is no longer any really, truly fair and balanced reporting left on TV.
    coelocanth wrote: »
    Yes, it is like the 5s package that comes with a magnifying glass and an hdmi cable so that you can output to a real HD screen.

Android apps are scaled to 4.5 to 5 inch display size.

Guess you've never used an iOS device and an AppleTV with Airplay. Not just mirroring. You can build apps that are full screen/full HD on the TV via Apple TV and have different content on the iPad.
    Fox News actually argued (and won) a case in front of the FL Supreme Court claiming that they had the right to lie on air and that nothing required them to tell the truth.
    Sigh. Not sure who this says more about. Fox News or Florida.