Google's Schmidt says Android more secure than the iPhone

Comments

• Reply 101 of 213
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Actually they have. The latest reports based on real Google Android app install numbers show only .001 percent of those were malicious apps attempting to get past the baked in defenses. Assuming the numbers are accurate, and no one is yet disputing them so far as I can tell tho they've been invited to, that equates to possibly 15,000 malicious app installs sneaking past built-in Google Android safeguards out of the 1.5 Billion total installs studied. That's a pretty tiny number. And before anyone says "yeah, but that's just from the official Play Store" it isn't. Those stats include unofficial side-loaded apps too, an area where Google still offers malicious app protection. Now of course if a user decides to ignore the big red warning screen presented by Google when they attempt to load a malicious app and proceeds anyway, well there's no protection from stupid and those folks aren't part of the .001% stat.

In a nutshell there's been a lot of changes to Google Android security over the past year or so with features like AppVerify via Google Play Services rolled out as far back as Gingerbread 2.2 and now protecting upwards of 95% of all active Google Android smartphones. That's something AI has never bothered reporting so readers here being unaware of it isn't surprising. While Schmidt's statement was as best an unfortunate choice of words and at worst an outright lie the scary reports of runaway malware on the Android platform are way overblown according to the most recent statistics. The scareware stories flowing from anti-malware companies and repeated by the "I hope it's true" crowd are mostly a collection of FUD Facts IMO.

http://qz.com/131436/contrary-to-what-youve-heard-android-is-almost-impenetrable-to-malware/

So, this threat report from F-Secure is BS?

http://www.f-secure.com/static/doc/labs_global/Research/Mobile_Threat_Report_Q1_2013.pdf

• Reply 102 of 213
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stylorouge View Post

My Nexus is very secure never had problem with it. I'm sure too that iPhone is very secure as well.

You know that is the same logic my mom uses, she thinks because a bad thing did not happen to her she thinks she is doing all the right things. Until I explain that unless the bad thing was not going to happen to her it does not mean her actions kept is from happening.

• Reply 103 of 213
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Okay I figure out the reasoning behind Schmidt comment.

Schmidt and Google thinks Android is more secure because they are spying on what the users are doing so they know exactly what you are up to, therefore this is more secure since Apple is not watching over you. It is the big brother view of security.

• Reply 104 of 213
    I wonder how many android devices actually get malware that are stock, not rooted and Unknown sources Is never checked in the settings. Is there a pie chart for that on the web?
  • Reply 105 of 213
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

What kind of drugs do they take over @Google? Must be some really good shit.

Many major brand mobile apps not secure on Android, says study

http://www.csoonline.com/article/738947/many-major-brand-mobile-apps-not-secure-on-android-says-study

Corporate Android Apps Not All Secure

http://www.esecurityplanet.com/mobile-security/corporate-android-apps-not-all-secure.html

Millions of Android users vulnerable to security threats, say feds

http://www.zdnet.com/millions-of-android-users-vulnerable-to-security-threats-say-feds-7000019845/

Android OS Is Least Secure Platform for Aircraft Electronic Flight Bags

http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/ainalerts/2013-09-03/android-os-least-secure-platform-aircraft-electronic-flight-bags

Android Security Vulnerability

http://bitcoin.org/en/alert/2013-08-11-android

etc., etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,

But, but, but Eric Schmidt is the Chairman of the Board of Google, he's supposed to be honest and since he gave absolutely no independent research to back up his statement, we are just supposed to automatically believe him and take him at his word.  

There are people out there that will believe Schmidt because they only listen to Google people and completely dismiss all 3rd party research.

• Reply 106 of 213
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    drblank wrote: »

Based on the latest reported real numbers and definitions, yeah pretty much serving as more scareware.
  • Reply 107 of 213
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member

He comes from the school of thought that says "If my lie is outrageous enough and I say it with a straight face, people will believe me."

• Reply 108 of 213
    luca rini wrote: »
    I wonder how many android devices actually get malware that are stock, not rooted and Unknown sources Is never checked in the settings.

Reportedly a potential .001% of app installs.
  • Reply 109 of 213

I wonder if Eric was talking about Jelly Bean or Android as a whole? Since Jelly Bean is the only version of Android that you could reasonably call "secure" as all previous versions (including ICS) have severe security holes in the base OS itself which were only fully plugged in Jelly Bean.

Funny how none of the Android apologists (or these "security experts" who make these reports) want to separate out Android by version and simply try to shift the goalposts by talking about the number of Apps they have "apparently" discovered.

If these "experts" aren't even aware of the architectural differences between GB, ICS or JB and how they relate to security, then how can they be trusted?

• Reply 110 of 213
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:

My Nexus is very secure never had problem with it. I'm sure too that iPhone is very secure as well.

If you leave your bike outside in your front yard everyday and nobody steals it, that would not mean it is secure. It just means you have been lucky. 

Android inherently is less secure than the iPhone because Android has no vetting process for evaluating the security of apps it runs. Apple on the other hands checks every app in the app store to look for things like malware. Even Apple gets bitten sometimes, but over all that process alone makes the iPhone much more secure. 

• Reply 111 of 213
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

I actually had more problems with my iPhone than android. Maybe I'm lucky.

You have had security problems on your iPhone, or are you moving the goal posts in the discussion to include any type of problem?

Thompson

• Reply 112 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Quote:

If you leave your bike outside in your front yard everyday and nobody steals it, that would not mean it is secure. It just means you have been lucky. 

Android inherently is less secure than the iPhone because Android has no vetting process for evaluating the security of apps it runs. Apple on the other hands checks every app in the app store to look for things like malware. Even Apple gets bitten sometimes, but over all that process alone makes the iPhone much more secure. 

I have an Android phone. The thing is rooted and running Cyanogenmod but that's irrelevant.

I use a dozen of popular apps and all of them are available on iOS. I browse a lot through Chrome and also use twitter or facebook. Please explain to me how I am at risk of something. Also, I do not need an AV for windows 7 (when I used to have an Windows machine).

How can I get virus or malware? Never saw any android user getting it. I'm not saying that Android is more secure than iOS.

I'm just saying that iOS and OSX are amazingly secure, but Android is very close and that's almost the same risks ( 0 ) for normal users. Not only that, I can assure you that anyone that has the nerve to say that Android is "insecure" is ignorant and totally delusional.

What some stupid analysts or bloggers decide to write is shit to me. Or are we going to listen to these pseudo-jornalists only when they bash Android instead of Apple?

Most users here need to acknowledge something: Yes, Apple is the innovator of the world, but Android is absolutely fantastic. This isn't a matter of opinion. You can either agree with it or be ignorant and a fool.

There's more to the world then Apple. Yes, their products and innovations are unmatched, but that only caters to a few % of users. The others need choice, too.

• Reply 113 of 213
    tbell wrote: »

Google doesn't scan apps for malware? You might re-check that for accuracy.
  • Reply 114 of 213

OK, Glass

• Reply 115 of 213
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

So, this threat report from F-Secure is BS?

In short, yes. They're reporting on the number of malware apps they found in the wild, not on the number that actually get installed and caused harm. Most security companies do this; it lets them cite scary sounding numbers to try to frighten users into buying their snake oil products. 

Google just reported data showing that approximately 0.001% of installed apps cause harm (summary article | full slide deck). You should look at slide 17 of that presentation. For example, look at the recent "master key" issue that the tech press hyped to no end (including AppleInsider). According to Google's data, no apps with this malware are in the Play Store, and less than 8 in 1 million apps from unknown sources have it at all.

It's amazing what looking at actual data will do. Just think how much more productive this forum would be if the commenters bothered to read about the statistics rather than filling three pages with "zomg! schmidt is full of it!!!!1111" comments.

Of course, you're welcome to challenge this data. Google is hardly a disinterested party. But you're going to have to show evidence of actual harm to actual users, not just reports about scary-sounding number of malware available somewhere, out there, on the Internet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Android inherently is less secure than the iPhone because Android has no vetting process for evaluating the security of apps it runs. Apple on the other hands checks every app in the app store to look for things like malware.

That's just demonstrably wrong. Google's Play Store uses Bouncer which scans all uploaded apps for malware. Google Play Services also checks apps on the devices when they're installed; it even checks side-loaded apps.

• Reply 116 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by derekmorr View Post

In short, yes. They're reporting on the number of malware apps they found in the wild, not on the number that actually get installed and caused harm. Most security companies do this; it lets them cite scary sounding numbers to try to frighten users into buying their snake oil products. 

If they want to make a scary sounding numbers in order to let users buy their products, why don't they also add iOS app into their lists???

From human history tells us a very simply logic....

Closed System --> fewer problems and less popular

Opened System --> many problems and more popular

• Reply 117 of 213
    kc_150 wrote: »
    If they want to make a scary sounding numbers in order to let users buy their products, why don't they also add iOS app into their lists???

Perhaps because Apple wouldn't allow some of their anti-virus apps to be sold in the Appstore in the first place? I think I remember a couple of them going round with Apple about their apps.
  • Reply 118 of 213
    Quote:

Originally Posted by derekmorr View Post

That's just demonstrably wrong. Google's Play Store uses Bouncer which scans all uploaded apps for malware. Google Play Services also checks apps on the devices when they're installed; it even checks side-loaded apps.

And which virus scanner software on your PC (for example) has a 100% success rate at detecting everything? Think about that long and hard.

Google's position is only valid if you assume (which would be a very ignorant thing to do) that they have the ability to detect every single type of malware/attack that comes through. History has proven that this is just not possible.

And as I pointed out above (and people seem to want to ignore) is that there are significant differences between the vulnerabilities of GB, ICS and JB. What does Google say about this? How come they only want to talk about "discovered Apps" and not the OS itself?

• Reply 119 of 213
    davendaven Posts: 696member

Wall Street Cheat Sheet ran the story and included another Schmidt line that brought on some laughter.  Here it is:

Schmidt danced around further questioning on his assertion and ended the session by saying that, “You will be happier with Gmail, Chrome, and Android more than you can possibly imagine,” which caused the audience to laugh again.

• Reply 120 of 213
    And which virus scanner software on your PC (for example) has a 100% success rate at detecting everything? Think about that long and hard.

You don't think Apple is 100% successful at detecting everything either do you? None are failsafe and it appears Google may have solved the bulk of their potential malware problem over the past several months.

FWIW there's apparently claims from Homeland Security that Windows phone is more secure than either iOS or Android.:err:
    http://www.windowsphonedaily.com/2013/08/windows-phone-has-less-risk-of-malware.html