Fox News' giant new Microsoft touch screens have fewer pixels than an iPad

Comments

• Reply 61 of 138
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Irving Muller View Post

I'm not a big fan of Fox News but I actually think what they're trying to do is cool. They're trying to do something to push things forward and hopefully it works and others try it.

Considering the awful pixel density with the displays, here's my question, what other options did they have? If they wanted these giant screens then they had to go with TVs and Apple would never open up their software to be used this way.

Agreed, at least they are seeing a potential future and heading there. As far as what else they could do? They could get $500 HDTVs, equip them with $100 Apple TVs, and use an iPad and AirPlay. Not Mirroring, but actually building a custom app (which they could do) that works like some of the video and game apps do. Displays full HD content at 1080p on the TV, and has a user interface that only the anchor needs to see on the iPad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

P.S. I think we all would be better off not watching Fox News or MSNBC. They are both crap! :)

Agreed!! Or, watch them both, understand the truth is somewhere in the middle, and then go online and find that truth!

• Reply 62 of 138

MSNBC wouldn't stoop this low since they're not a real news channel.

• Reply 63 of 138
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

Shep should get a bigger desk on an elevated dais sitting behind those reporters (and facing the same direction).  He should be required to occasionally pause while broadcasting and say things like "Warp Speed!"  Uhura should always be sitting at one of the panels.

Or is it just me?  (Seriously, look at the picture again with the above in mind)

• Reply 64 of 138
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Don't weather men use screens behind them by just stepping to the side? I would imagine they would try to use them the same way.

It's clumsy when weathermen do it, too. They're frequently turning away from the audience and/or looking over their shoulders. It's an awkward process.
  • Reply 65 of 138
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frood View Post

Shep should get a bigger desk on an elevated dais sitting behind those reporters (and facing the same direction).  He should be required to occasionally pause while broadcasting and say things like "Warp Speed!"  Uhura should always be sitting at one of the panels.

Or is it just me?  (Seriously, look at the picture again with the above in mind)

And Mr. Sulu would ask, "Which way, Captain?" And Captain Kirk would reply, "Starboard."

• Reply 66 of 138
    This quite clearly illustrates the irrelevance of entertainment-news shows. Why watch Fox or CNN when you can get everything you need straight from Twitter, unless you really like watching what appear to be Munchkins awkwardly slapping away at gigantic tablets.

Fox has been outfoxed by their own collective idiocy.
  • Reply 67 of 138
    Maybe FOX hired "Oompa Loompas" and they have regular sized tablets in front of them.

/S
  • Reply 68 of 138
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I don't get the point of this story, or at least what it was to do with iPad pixels.

Neither do I. The iPad and a big corporate touchscreen TV seem like different devices, with different applications, and it doesn't really make sense to try and compare them.

• Reply 69 of 138

If you are going to make a 55" tablet why they didn't fit a cup holder is beyond reason! 

• Reply 70 of 138
    Wait, didn't your mothers ever tell you not to sit to close to the TV because you will go blind? It is not good for you to be that close to a monitor, TV, etc. Pushing already with a 20 or so inch about same distance at your desk. LCD tech helps a bit, but 55 at that range... very bad for your vision. 55 inch a recommended 6-8 foot (not inches) away is best viewing. And really, does anyone else want to see all the "research" the kids/interns are doing... well maybe if they are playing solitaire or something fun, then turn off the volume and watch the background at the "research" going on. Don't make me send Tony Stark in to point out who is playing what on their screens.
  • Reply 71 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Mostly true. But such a comment requires acknowledging that ALL major televised media is nothing more than chicken-wing propaganda, straight from intelligence services and the PR machine. Fox is just one particular brand, for a particular brand of viewers. CNN is another, for a different type of idiot.?

I still know lots of people that think these squawking lie machines are actually, "The News".

Well said.

• Reply 72 of 138
    Originally Posted by AlmondRoca View Post

MSNBC wouldn't stoop this low since they're not a real news channel.

Here’s what I don’t understand. Microsoft owns MSN, so is MSNBC a Microsoft property/subsidiary? 

• Reply 73 of 138
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Here’s what I don’t understand. Microsoft owns MSN, so is MSNBC a Microsoft property/subsidiary? 

NBC bought out Microsoft's share of MSNBC earlier this year.

• Reply 74 of 138
    Originally Posted by AlmondRoca View Post

NBC bought out Microsoft's share of MSNBC earlier this year.

Ah, so a share; thanks. So, what, do they rename it to just NBC now? And have two NBCs?

• Reply 75 of 138

All silly cosmetics and superficial dazzle-dazzle, signifying nothing.

At FOX NEWS, it is still going to be Garbage In, Garbage Out.

• Reply 76 of 138
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member

Looks like the liberals who love bashing Fox News are having a field day with this article. I find it pretty comical those who claim Fox News make up stories. Have you even bothered watching the Fox Report with Shepard Smith? It's basically the same news that's reported on every other cable news network such as CNN, MSNC, etc. 

• Reply 77 of 138

Does Joe Scarborough change the nature of MSNBC?

Shepherd Smith does not change the nature of FOX NEWS.

• Reply 78 of 138
    First thing I thought of after seeing this with the mega 4 Tweets was, don't let the older stoners get close to this because they'll slam into the retweet button after having Purple Flashbacks of watching Family Feud* on their day off....

"Survey Saaays... BAM"! :smokey:

* Showing my age :no:
  • Reply 79 of 138
    So Microsoft dumped another product they couldn't sell?
  • Reply 80 of 138
    The new revolutionary iPad Magoo-edition.