Apple to hold media event unveiling next-generation iPads on Oct. 22

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple is set to hold an event later this month, on Tuesday, Oct. 22, where it is expected to unveil a new, redesigned fifth-generation iPad, as well as a second-generation iPad mini.

iPad 5
Source: UnboxTherapy via YouTube.

The date for the anticipated media event was leaked to AllThingsD on Tuesday, which cited unnamed sources. The same publication has accurately shared word of Apple event dates in the past.

In addition to new iPads, the event in two weeks is also expected to focus on the company's revamped Mac Pro high-end desktop, and the forthcoming OS X Mavericks operating system update.

While the date for the event is known, John Paczkowski was not able to pin down a location. Possible spots include Apple's Cupertino, Calif., campus, or the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco. Last year's iPad mini and fourth-generation iPad event was held in San Jose, but the company reportedly does not plan to return there this year.

The next 9.7-inch iPad is widely expected to sport a redesigned chassis that will make it look like a big iPad mini. Apple is expected to reduce the weight and thickness of its full-size iPad, and also give the device thinner side bezels.

iPad

AppleInsider exclusively obtained schematics currently being used by case makers that claim to show off the new design of the next iPad. Those images align with leaked parts purportedly for the fifth-generation iPad that have surfaced throughout the year.

As for the iPad mini, it's anticipated to feature a high-resolution Retina display with its second-generation model. Both devices are rumored to sport high-quality 8-megapixel rear facing cameras, equivalent with the iPhone.

Still unknown is whether either of Apple's new iPads will sport the Touch ID fingerprint sensor the company unveiled in the new iPhone 5s, but did not bring to its mid-level iPhone 5c.

The new iPads will hit the market ahead of the holiday shopping season, and at a time when traditional notebook PCs continue to struggle. Competition in the tablet space has been heating up, with Amazon's new Kindle Fire HDX, Microsoft's Surface 2, and Google's Nexus 7.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 130
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Is it just me, or are these events getting very, very long in the tooth?

Just one more "One more thing..." would reinvigorate the masses. As it is, these are old, predictable, and outright dull.
  • Reply 2 of 130
    Here we go! Looking forward to it!
  • Reply 3 of 130
    Wow. Was expecting this announcemt today, but for the 15th.
  • Reply 4 of 130
    Thinner Retina iPad 5 (similar to iPad mini shape) with fingerprint sensor. ipad Mini in colors.
  • Reply 5 of 130
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member

Just one more "One more thing..." would reinvigorate the masses. As it is, these are old, predictable, and outright dull.

In what way are they "rather old"?
  • Reply 6 of 130
    Can't wait for the new Mac Pro and Mavericks....
  • Reply 7 of 130
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    There better be a Retina mini, otherwise they're wasting our time. Nobody even cares about the regular iPad anymore, it's all about the mini. Give me the Retina mini or give me death!
  • Reply 8 of 130
    That iPad Mini should have the same PPI as the iPhone and iPods if I'm not mistaken.
  • Reply 9 of 130
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member

I miss that too. Sadly it is impossible to keep anything secret these days, although they did do a pretty good job with the Mac Pro. Perhaps the move to manufacturing that in USA helped there.
  • Reply 10 of 130
    Can't wait for the new Mac Pro and Mavericks....

I replied to the wrong post ... my bad.
  • Reply 10 of 130
    Here we go!
  • Reply 12 of 130
    poochpooch Posts: 768member

feel free to not pay attention.
  • Reply 13 of 130
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Yes, its just you. 

That was a Steve Jobs thing...I doubt there will be any "One more thing" anymore in Apple's lifetime. 

I can't see how these events are dull and predictable. Its nothing different from the way when Steve was there. There were always close predictions of when the event would happen and what would be announced. Nothing has changed. 

• Reply 14 of 130
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

There better be a Retina mini, otherwise they're wasting our time. Nobody even cares about the regular iPad anymore, it's all about the mini. Give me the Retina mini or give me death!

I'll be a nobody with an iPad 5.  :)

• Reply 15 of 130
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    wow! waiting for the "Yep" from LoopInsight to confirm. Until then treat it with a grain of salt.
  • Reply 16 of 130
    Personally I think rear cameras should be banned from all tablets. There is nothing more annoying than having your view blocked by a crowd of dipsticks holding their tablets up taking pictures.
  • Reply 17 of 130
    Yes, its just you. 

That was a Steve Jobs thing...I doubt there will be any "One more thing" anymore in Apple's lifetime. 

I can't see how these events are dull and predictable. Its nothing different from the way when Steve was there. There were always close predictions of when the event would happen and what would be announced. Nothing has changed. 

I don't know. If it was spectacular enough ( and not leaked already) it would be an amazing homage to Steve to do a 'one more thing'. I think he'd approve.
  • Reply 18 of 130

So this is breaking news even though it's not a real announcement? It was leaked and it will probably come true, but for me it's not news until its fact. I look forward to an ipad 5 , and mavericks. 

• Reply 19 of 130
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

One more thing?  One more thing?  Only one guy could pull off one more thing, and that was Steve.

Look what happened when Sammy tried One More Thing.

Crickets.

Ouch!

Then no one lined up to buy THEIR one more thing.

• Reply 20 of 130
    Fandroids: get your FUD machines ready!
    1. iPad sales are falling
    2. Apple is channel stuffing
    3. Lack of innovation