Apple to hold media event unveiling next-generation iPads on Oct. 22

Comments

• Reply 21 of 130

Finally! I'm another "nobody" who wants a full sized iPad for reading academic PDFs and for watching Netflix at the gym. Was hoping for an announcement next week, but I've waited this long ... I can wait a couple weeks more.

Hopefully they will ship shortly after the announcement.

• Reply 22 of 130
    Quote:

Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

Wow. Was expecting this announcemt today, but for the 15th.

22nd makes sense.   Ship date… ideally 'something' will be available before the 31st to get a final bump on Q4 revenue.

I would think Friday the 25th.  Make for a interesting earnings call the next week.  

• Reply 23 of 130
    Every time I hear 'Mavericks' I can't get the sound out of my head of Sarah Palin stalking about that old 'Maverick' John McCain. Ahhhhhhh!!!
  • Reply 24 of 130
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertSmith View Post

Finally! I'm another "nobody" who wants a full sized iPad for reading academic PDFs and for watching Netflix at the gym. Was hoping for an announcement next week, but I've waited this long ... I can wait a couple weeks more.

Hopefully they will ship shortly after the announcement.

Actually I like the rumour about the 13" ipad.

• Reply 25 of 130
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Just one more "One more thing..." would reinvigorate the masses.

Not really, no. And that’s a Steve thing.

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

it would be an amazing homage to Steve to do a one more thing'. I think he'd approve.

The guy who dumped a museum of the old at Apple would approve of looking backward? :\

• Reply 26 of 130
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    macvicta wrote: »
    There better be a Retina mini, otherwise they're wasting our time. Nobody even cares about the regular iPad anymore, it's all about the mini. Give me the Retina mini or give me death!
    Death it is. I'm buy two full sized iPads. Bought ipad mini for my daughter last year and 3 iPads 4 , no need to buy any more minis.
  • Reply 27 of 130
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    The iPad mini can do everything the iPad does but in a much more compact package. Those who refuse to make the switch can't let go of the past. It's time to embrace the future.

The only way a full sized iPad could best the mini is if Apple increased the screen size beyond 9.7" and/or turned it into an "iOS Pro" type device that ran some new hybrid version of iOS and OS X. Then maybe I could see why someone would choose it over the mini. Other than that, the mini is all anyone could ever need in a tablet.

The mini is where it's at, and Apple better recognize and not treat it like some red headed stepchild by crippling it with yesterday's display and processor. They better give the mini its due instead of trying to force an upsell.
  • Reply 28 of 130
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    Don't care. Where's the new rMBP? Mavericks has gone gold, release them already so I can upgrade.
  • Reply 29 of 130
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Whither the Mac Pro? Easily the best kept secret in Cupertino--and why I've long suspected these "leaks" came from Apple directly.
  • Reply 30 of 130
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

22nd makes sense.   Ship date… ideally 'something' will be available before the 31st to get a final bump on Q4 revenue.

I would think Friday the 25th.  Make for a interesting earnings call the next week.  

I agree. I was thinking 15th with pre-orders the 18th and in store the 25th.

• Reply 31 of 130
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:

Is it just me, or are these events getting very, very long in the tooth?

Just one more "One more thing..." would reinvigorate the masses. As it is, these are old, predictable, and outright dull.

Agree 1000% - Mr Cook, the world's former best COO, has absolutely no clue how these "one more thing" moments were valuable for Apple's brand cachet. Now what do we have? Everything that we are told in advance by everyone and their dog...nothing else.

• Reply 32 of 130
    This event is being held BEFORE the quarterly reporting event not AFTER as has been previously done. Could this be the moment Tim follows in Steve's footsteps to pull his very own "One more thing..." event?

People were expecting a 15th announcement. Well, there is a 22nd announcement. Yesterday people were talking about the late quarterly report and what it could mean. One guy presented historical info of announcements being made AFTER late quarterly reports.

A Monday quarterly report could very well lead to a Tuesday or Wednesday "One more thing..." event. IF I were a Wall Street analyst, I would report... "Watch out Microsoft and Nintendo and Sony because the video game market is about to get a new entrant via its hobby device!!!"
  • Reply 33 of 130
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    akqies wrote: »
    In what way are they "rather old"?

I agree with the poster- it's old in the sense that everything to be revealed has already been introduced with the new iPhone- the finger print sensor, the chip , the back, the iOS, the retina screen (god-willing), etc
    Like -really?
  • Reply 34 of 130
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    cash907 wrote: »
    Don't care. Where's the new rMBP? Mavericks has gone gold, release them already so I can upgrade.

Jony will get you that new rMBP as soon as he's finished with his new PRODUCT (RED) Braun Coffee pot design for auction.
  • Reply 35 of 130
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    Quote:

Is it just me, or are these events getting very, very long in the tooth?

Just one more "One more thing..." would reinvigorate the masses. As it is, these are old, predictable, and outright dull.

It's just you.  I've been looking forward to this even since January.  Come on iPad mini w/ retina...

• Reply 36 of 130

Way more exciting than a new iPad.

• Reply 37 of 130
    Hopefully this is when we get the updated Retina MBP also .... been waiting 6 months for this !
    I'd love matching Retina iPad Mini and MBP in Space Grey !
  • Reply 38 of 130
    Apple knows damn well they better introduce a retina display ipad mini or their Xmas sales will suck a**!
    So if they do, with colors, all hell will break loose up in this bi***!
  • Reply 39 of 130
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Fandroids: get your FUD machines ready!

1. iPad sales are falling

2. Apple is channel stuffing

3. Lack of innovation

Don't forget the obligatory: "iPad is just a toy".

• Reply 40 of 130
    akindcakindc Posts: 14member

Who cares about the incremental iPad updates...it's time for a mature AppleTV to be introduced.

The box I mean, not a real TV...never saw the point in that.