Apple to hold media event unveiling next-generation iPads on Oct. 22

Comments

• Reply 61 of 130
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AKinDC View Post

Who cares about the incremental iPad updates...it's time for a mature AppleTV to be introduced.

The box I mean, not a real TV...never saw the point in that.

Although I do want a lighter iPad with a smaller bezel, I'm really hoping for a new Apple TV announcement. Out of curiosity, what do you want in a new Apple TV? My biggest want is the ability to download apps, although I do wonder if Apple would release an Apple TV with a hard drive again. 

• Reply 62 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Is it just me, or are these events getting very, very long in the tooth?

Just one more "One more thing..." would reinvigorate the masses. As it is, these are old, predictable, and outright dull.

Hum...

Predictable: Not sure too many people saw a 64-bit A7 coming.

Dull: Yet we still don't really understand why it's 64-bit.

Old: Following all those other 64-bit smart phones - of course.

Nah, I don't think so. "Can't innovate, my ...".;) 

• Reply 63 of 130
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Don't care. Where's the new rMBP? Mavericks has gone gold, release them already so I can upgrade.

Yeah, I wonder what the hold up is?

• Reply 64 of 130
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Irving Muller View Post

No, it's not just him. I get where he's coming from. Just look at the people in the crowd after the 5c was introduced. Look at Al Gore specifically. They all looked pretty bored.

Aside from the Mac Pro, there haven't really been any surprises for a while.

No one has to say, "one more thing" but Jobs was about creating things people didn't even know they needed. These are things that give us a new way of interacting with technology and the world around us. There hasn't been anything like that at Apple since Steve Jobs. It's all mostly been incremental improvements.

Why does there always need to be a surprise? Is Apple not already doing enough? Its annoying to keep hearing basically that Apple isn't innovating. Yes, this is basically what you're saying. To be honest, the one more thing was pretty lame as time went on. It wasn't always great. Sometimes it was a product that we knew would be announced and he just left it until the end. Thats not a surprise at all. It was just the game being played and people following along. Steve isn't here anymore and Apple is a slightly different company. People need to realize this and understand that it won't be the exact same company Steve built. Thats not necessarily a bad thing...

• Reply 65 of 130
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Agree 1000% - Mr Cook, the world's former best COO, has absolutely no clue how these "one more thing" moments were valuable for Apple's brand cachet. Now what do we have? Everything that we are told in advance by everyone and their dog...nothing else.

If this isn't the biggest bunch of BS, I don't know what is. One more thing wasn't always that great. I think a lot of the time it was just something they held until the very end. Its nothing special, it only was the first couple of times. Toward the end the one more things were pretty lame if you ask me. They weren't special to Apple. It was a Steve thing and nobody will do it except Steve who obviously is no longer here to do it.

• Reply 66 of 130
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

the iPad 4 announcement last year didn't count as a surprise?

and name me one 'one more thing' that was not incremental?   A cpu upgrade, a new shape for a same function, etc.   Nothing ground breaking, just unexpected amazing value.

If anything, a 'one more thing' is where something like a 'mac Pro' is announced, and then they say… 'we could have stopped there… but we had some free cycles, so we came up with this… (and they role out a Mini Mac Pro (haswell based mini but in a small mac pro type of footprint… for $599) those are the cool releases.

Don't expect a $599 MiniMac Pro.  I'm sure they'll have a new Mac mini with a Haswell chip, but it's not going to be the more expensive chips that are in the iMacs.  not at $599.  Personally, I would like to see a larger, more powerful version of the MacMini, that's essentially the guts of the iMacs, but just in a MacMini (larger, obviously) case for maybe around $1000 to $2500 price points, depending on RAM, Storage, GPU, etc. 

• Reply 67 of 130
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    mubaili wrote: »
    wow! waiting for the "Yep" from LoopInsight to confirm. Until then treat it with a grain of salt.

Except allthingsd has never been wrong once about their announcement leaks. Never once.
  • Reply 68 of 130
    So cool - looking forward to the announcement! I think everyone who wants apple to blow their socks off should lower their expectations. Apple is just a company, not a genie. Nintendo releases a new system ever 5 years. Apple not only releases a new iPad every year, but a product in every category every year as well. And they have very cool upgrades too, like the new super slim iMacs, the finger print sensors, restyled iOS... Upgrades that increase usability without succumbing to feature creep. I personally feel like the pace has slowed a little, but I don't think that's a big issue right now. I think cook is a numbers guy, and after the bad timing of his iMac release he is trying to err on the side of being slower than faster. I don't doubt he's got some cool stuff in the pipeline, he's just more aware of timing in relation to the the manufacturing process. They seem to be headed the right direction, now we just need to wait.
  • Reply 69 of 130
    oneof52oneof52 Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

There better be a Retina mini, otherwise they're wasting our time. Nobody even cares about the regular iPad anymore, it's all about the mini. Give me the Retina mini or give me death!

I'm waiting for the new iPad.  iPhone 5S processor and 128GB.  And if it comes in gold, I'm pre-ordering.

• Reply 70 of 130
    akindcakindc Posts: 14member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

Although I do want a lighter iPad with a smaller bezel, I'm really hoping for a new Apple TV announcement. Out of curiosity, what do you want in a new Apple TV? My biggest want is the ability to download apps, although I do wonder if Apple would release an Apple TV with a hard drive again. 

Main things would be apps/controller/open to developers. Cable box pass though so it could really control the TV would be great too.

• Reply 71 of 130
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Perhaps rMBP with Thunderbolt2 and a rCinemaDisplay along side a sales date for MacPro?
  • Reply 72 of 130
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Yup time to swap the ipad2... its pretty slow loading some intense websites.
    And if theres a apple TV update... yes that too, I have the old 720p.

Draw the line on the new Mac Pro or processor upgrades on mac bood pro. (I have a retina macbook pro, awsome machine)
  • Reply 73 of 130
    I have to agree with the long in the tooth comments. OK, a new iPad, it's not game changing anymore.
  • Reply 74 of 130
    Quote:

There better be a Retina mini, otherwise they're wasting our time. Nobody even cares about the regular iPad anymore, it's all about the mini. Give me the Retina mini or give me death!

Nonsense. I want a full size iPad with an A7 or A7+ 8-)

• Reply 75 of 130

iPad 5 with A7X.

The fastest SoC available outside of Apple is the Snapdragon 800. It represents the fastest ARM processor you can buy and its only been out for 2 months. Yet Apple has a processor in an iPhone that's just as fast as the SD 800 (which is really more of a tablet SoC that vendors are stuffing into phablets).

If there is indeed an A7X then Apple will have the top 2 mobile processors on the planet. And if the A7X offers similar gains to previous generations then it's going to crush the SD 800. That will be something the haters will find unbearable.

Now please update Auria with full 64bit support so I can do real-time mixing with effects without slowing things down.

• Reply 76 of 130
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Is it just me, or are these events getting very, very long in the tooth?

Just one more "One more thing..." would reinvigorate the masses. As it is, these are old, predictable, and outright dull.

New rMBP's would be one (or with MBP's assuming they continue) or four more things (or one or five or six with a new Apple TV and/or Mac Mini separately or with the pro notebooks)... ...though if not major updates, any or all of these may simply be "press released" à la the new iMacs - likely a week or two after this event - line by line or (less likely?) en masse.....

Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobertSmith View Post

Finally! I'm another "nobody" who wants a full sized iPad for reading academic PDFs and for watching Netflix at the gym. Was hoping for an announcement next week, but I've waited this long ... I can wait a couple weeks more.

Hopefully they will ship shortly after the announcement.

From the available tea leaves it seems like maybe 40% of iPad buyers are nobodies, +/- 5% or so. That's a good number of millions of nobodies...

I still haven't decided on a size personally - and won't until I see the Mac Book Pro line - as I'm due to upgrade my whole computing life with generations newer computers, phones and likely first tablet...  ...lots of options on how to best deploy those dollars to be able to do all the things I want to do where and when I want to do 'em most conveniently and best overall bang for the buck.... ...e.g., MBA + iPad Mini + iPhone 5s for example, or rMBP + iPad Mini LTE + dumb phone.

• Reply 77 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Except allthingsd has never been wrong once about their announcement leaks. Never once.

As a matter of fact, when Apple wants to know when they have a new product coming out they ask allthingsd.

• Reply 78 of 130
    YES!!! Finally! 64GB iPad5 WiFi Cellular (Verizon) in Slate Gray, I have a home for you. I and my wallet have been waiting for you all year. :-)
  • Reply 79 of 130
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    People forget what Apple events were like pre-iPhone. Overlong business updates, tedious demonstrations of iLife and iWork (Jobs would rotate an image and everyone would cheer), incremental Mac and iPod updates. Macs had the same design for years. Many years would pass between OS X updates that had fewer changes than the yearly updates we get now. Every time we thought we were going to get a phone, we got a Boombox or a sock to put our iPod in instead. There were a lot of duds in the Jobs era: fat iPod, buttonless iPod nano, desk lamp iMac. They've gotten way more interesting in recent years. Now we actually get things we want!
  • Reply 80 of 130

Yep. I would like to see a retina Mini (for out-&-about) and a 13" ipad (home use). You heard it hear first! :)