Agawi TouchMark contrasts iPad's fast screen response to laggy Android tablets

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
A study benchmarking the touchscreen latency of popular tablets shows Apple's iPad mini and full sized iPad 4 leading response times of other tablets, with Android offerings dead last.

Agawi TouchMark

Cross platform mobile ad vendor Agawi has released test results from its TouchMarks study of various tablets, including Microsoft's Surface, Amazon's Kindle and Android tablets by Nvidia, Samsung and Google's Nexus-branded tablet built by Asus.

The study measures how quickly apps can respond to touch events, quantifying the responsiveness, or laggy lack thereof, in tablets. The results are a combination of hardware quality and software platform responsiveness.

Apple's iPad mini and iPad 4 led the with scores similar to Apple's iPhone 5 in a previous benchmarking of smartphones. Apple's tablets scored a significant margin ahead of cheaper tablets, particularly Samsung's Galaxy Tab 3 and the Nexus 7, but also Amazon's latest Kindle Fire HD and Nvidia?s Shield, an Android dedicated gaming device with graphics specifications similar to iPhone 5s.

Agawi TouchMark

Agawi said its findings were "a result that?s perhaps now unsurprising," given that the previous test of smartphone responsiveness showed Apple's iPhones performing 1.5 times faster than the fastest high end alternatives on the market.

Even Apple's 2010 iPhone 4 performed significantly better than current offerings ranging from Samsung's Galaxy S4, Nokia's Lumia 928, HTC One, or Google's MotoX.

Agawi TouchMark

Improvements in touchscreen latency result in a more natural and responsive experience for the user, but most consumer products are aiming to deliver cheaper devices, resulting in the laggy performance easily discernible on these lower cost devices.

As a result, the company concluded, "if you primarily use your tablet for reading, watching videos or browsing the web, then shop around and pick the best tablet ? iOS, Android, Windows 8 ? that suits your needs. With their lower price points and high PPI screens you may find an Android tablet works perfectly for you. If, however, you?re into latency-sensitive applications like games or interactive music apps, then your best bet might be an iPad."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    The evidence continues to mount. Why does none of this mean anything? It's preaching to the choir. You'll never convince the fans of the laggy systems that this even exists. It's all propaganda to them. Cheap Android tablets and phones are what's making it look like Apple is losing the battle. It's not even the "good enough" argument. These cheap devices are atrocious but Google doesn't care as long as they are running Android. Google is about ad revenue, not the reputation of its operating system.
  • Reply 2 of 54
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Fandroids have long disputed this and they often lie through their teeth claiming stuff like "Android is no longer laggy, it's been fixed in the last update, blah blah blah!". They've been saying that for years now. Don't these pathetic people and lowlifes get tired of lying all of the time?

It's good that more and more of these tests are showing just how far ahead Apple is. Most other devices are basically unusable. Going from an Android device to an iOS device must be like pure heaven. It's like going from eating out of garbage cans in a dark back alley to eating at a five star restaurant. The difference is not small, to put it mildly.

Like the article says, any sort of games or apps that require low latencies is far, far better on iOS, no question about it. The whole experience is better.

Like I've always said, Android is garbage, the user experience is so bad, that it's like torture. I have no time for disgusting lag when I am using a device. To be honest, I'd rather be waterboarded than having to use an Android tablet. Look at those latency figures for Android! What an embarrassing joke!

• Reply 3 of 54

Samsung Galaxy Tab?  Dead - last.  Trounced by the lowly Surface RT even.  Ouch! 

Even a three-year-old iPhone 4 is faster than Samsung's flagship Galaxy S4!  The test doesn't even include the new and even faster iPhone 5s.

I kind of feel sorry for the Android folks that continue to ignore reality...but not too sorry though.  ;)

• Reply 4 of 54
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Fandroids have long disputed this and they often lie through their teeth claiming stuff like "Android is no longer laggy, it's been fixed in the last update, blah blah blah!". They've been saying that for years now. Don't these pathetic people and lowlifes get tired of lying all of the time?

It's good that more and more of these tests are showing just how far ahead Apple is. Most other devices are basically unusable. Going from an Android device to an iOS device must be like pure heaven. It's like going from eating out of garbage cans in a dark back alley to eating at a five star restaurant. The difference is not small, to put it mildly.

Like the article says, any sort of games or apps that require low latencies is far, far better on iOS, no question about it. The whole experience is better.

Like I've always said, Android is garbage, the user experience is so bad, that it's like torture. I have no time for disgusting lag when I am using a device. To be honest, I'd rather be waterboarded than having to use an Android tablet. Look at those latency figures for Android! What an embarrassing joke!
    Really? Get your facts straight before you dismiss everything as garbage. I own an iPad and a nexus 7 and the nexus is an amazing machine faster than iPad 4 with iOS 7. The specs are more than double than the iPad. Yes yes I get it specs isn't anything!
  • Reply 5 of 54
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

Not surprised. When I switched to GS 3 and I so much hated its screen response which was so lagging compared to iPhone 4 that I dumped the phone after 1 day and go back to iPhone for good. Fandroids are denial, but if you're really using an iPhone, you can tell the difference in screen response once you switch to an android phone. To one each own, some people finds lagging is acceptable, not me. I just hate it.

• Reply 6 of 54
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stylorouge View Post

Really? Get your facts straight before you dismiss everything as garbage. I own an iPad and a nexus 7 and the nexus is an amazing machine faster than iPad 4 with iOS 7. The specs are more than double than the iPad. Yes yes I get it specs isn't anything!

Oh god...again...spec, spec and spec...Don't you just love that octacore chip in euro version of GS4 which only worked 4 cores at the time? Yeah...so much about specs that don't actually offer any useful benefit, but marketing gimmicks.

• Reply 7 of 54
    Quote:

Then something is wrong with your sensory and motor skills. I suggest that you get it checked out by medical professionals. Or perhaps you are currently on medication that is dulling your senses.

This topic is not about CPU specs or dual core or quad core or whatever. This topic is about lag and response time, and that absolutely blows on Android, making Android devices unusable for most tasks.

• Reply 8 of 54
    Quote:

Here you go again with your generalized droid/goog/everything is better than Apple trolling again.  Care to explain how nexus is superior in touch latency?  If not, then get back on subject or go away.

• Reply 9 of 54
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    stylorouge wrote: »

Isn't it amazing how an independent test measured objectively indicates that every Android tablet tested is much slower than any iPad tested - yet we still have these Android shills spouting their nonsense?

No wonder Google and Samsung have such massive marketing budgets. It's expensive hiring millions of fandroids.
  • Reply 10 of 54
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    It doesn't mean anything because the perceptible difference is negligible to most users. They all run apps, surf the net, play movies.
    Androids do all this for half the price of an iPad in many cases, and that's a lot of money.

Since you brought it up, you know what apathy boggles my mind? Why doesn't anyone care that apple charges a hundred dollars more for 15 bucks worth of additional memory? The difference between 16 and 32GB is NOT a hundred dollars. Hell, the difference between 16 and 64 isn't a hundred dollars. Talk about a racket.
  • Reply 11 of 54
    Quote:

Sooo...basically what you're saying is...

I Know the Truth, So Don’t Bother Me With Facts

Just wanted to be sure we understand where you're coming from.

• Reply 12 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

It doesn't mean anything because the perceptible difference is negligible to most users. 

I notice some people making this argument, but guess what, I don't agree.

The difference is not negligible and I notice a huge difference, as I'm sure many millions of other Apple users do. I do seriously question the physical and mental condition of those who claim to not notice much of a difference.

• Reply 13 of 54
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member

The difference is not negligible and I notice a huge difference, as I'm sure many millions of other Apple users do. I do seriously question the physical and mental condition of those who claim to not notice much of a difference.

He's absolutely right. The same goes for power usage. Opening a webpage in Safari on the iPad uses less power than opening up the same webpage in Chrome on an Android tablet but it's such a small amount of power usage difference that means nothing even though the Android tablet has a faster processor with worse performance and a larger battery with much lower usage time. Apple sucks, Android rules. /s
  • Reply 14 of 54

Apple needs to get this down to 10ms so drawing with a stylus is immediate.

• Reply 15 of 54
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    Apple needs to get this down to 10ms so drawing with a stylus is immediate.

That still won't help. It's the type of matrix being used that is the issue here. What Apple needs is a digitizer if they want to ever have a proper stylus as an option for their tablet devices. From what I can tell they are still expensive.
  • Reply 16 of 54
    estyleestyle Posts: 201member

The latency on one tap may not be much but just like battery consumption it adds up and degrades the performance and experience.

Plus it adds to erroneous taps as you retap thinking it didn't register and then realize when you have misspelled the wordddd that it was latency.  Now you have to delete the wo..... and again because of latency you overshoot.  This repeatedly through the day on a simple app is how latency may be unnoticeable, but if you were to experience condensed together would demonstrate its critical impact.

Any who doesn't notice a tap latency difference between android and apple might very well not need a "widescreen touch ipod, a phone, and a internet communicating device, with console approaching games, etc*, but rather a large screen, touch-enabled, feature phone.

perhaps

*iphone

• Reply 17 of 54
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

You are so full of it.  Time to try a different brand of koolaid.

That's the problems with guys (trolls) like you.  Even when the facts are staring right at you, you turn the other way and pretend they don't exist.

Android performance has improved, but only because they are throwing higher-horsepower hardware to compensate for what really, truly is a trash of an OS.  The new iP5s with 1/2 the cores and 1/2 the ram is better performing than a new, quad-core GS4.  Figure it out.

I've used my friend's S4 and Nexus tablets on occasion.  The article has it spot on.  When one uses an iPhone/iPad as their primary device, one can easily spot the lag that is so prevalent in these Android devices.  I certainly do, and it's not subtle.

Go away.

• Reply 18 of 54
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Really? Get your facts straight before you dismiss everything as garbage. I own an iPad and a nexus 7 and the nexus is an amazing machine faster than iPad 4 with iOS 7.

How is it "faster" besides the spec numbers?
  • Reply 19 of 54
    reydnreydn Posts: 73member

It is basically the first annoyance I notice when using an Android device - it is definitely noticeable. Problem is, it's not something isolated to a particular app or anything, but the entire OS
  • Reply 20 of 54
    User experience is more important than specs. Apple gets it. The fact that there is lag and stutter on the Galaxy Note 3 is unacceptable. My source? MKBHD on You Tube, and he loves Android.