Piper: More than half of teens own an iPhone, iPad immensely popular

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's iPhone and iPad remain popular among young people, according to a new study that shows the iPhone in the hands of more than half of American teens.

The new figures come from Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster, who found that the iPhone represented nearly 55 percent of all phones used by teens in the United States. That figure is up seven percentage points from the last Piper study conducted in April of this year. Also, 65 percent of teens said they planned for their next phone to be an iPhone, up from 62 percent in April. 65 percent of teens said they planned for their next phone to be an iPhone, up from 62 percent in April.

The iPad also enjoys considerable popularity among American teens, with 68 percent of tablet-holding teens reporting that they own an iPad. Among tablet-owning teens, 60 percent reported they owned a full-size iPad, while eight percent reported owning an iPad mini. Those teens saying that they plan to buy a tablet in the next six months are overwhelmingly future Apple buyers, with the iPad holding a 64 percent share.

The results, while already positive for Apple, indicate that the iPad maker may still have room to grow. Nearly half of teens do not yet own a tablet, though that number shrank five percentage points over the past six months. Should those teens hold to their survey responses, Apple's market share among young people is likely only to increase.

Piper Jaffray's survey is built on interviews with thousands of teens from high-income families (household income above $104,000) and similar visits with more teens from average-income families ($54,000). The study had a total participant pool of 8,643.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    Oh but wait, I thought all the Samsung ads says Apple iPhone was only popular with "old" people? Samsung wrong again? Say it ain't so.
  • Reply 2 of 45
    OH MY GOD, PETER MISEK WAS RIGHT!!

Wall Street sentiment has changed towards Apple. There are numerous analysts changing their tone towards Apple.

Why? What has changed so dramatically in their collective view about Apple since Apple stuffed the channels with 9 million collecting dust iPhones?

Could it be the 5s 64-bit processor is not a gimmick? Could it be that customers are actually using the fingerprint scanner to make purchases on iTunes, the App Store and the iBook Store? Could it be that iBeacons is actually being accepted and deployed faster and more widely than NFC for indoor mapping AND digital payments? Could it be that Apple actually has been innovative even though so many analysts wanted to completely dismantle the company while promoting... (I cannot bring myself to type that name)

Okay, I have too much ranting coming out of me. ????
  • Reply 3 of 45

If you want to make a 15 year old girl cry this Xmas, give her a phone that is something other than an iPhone!

And while your at it, give her a tablet that is something other than an iPad.

• Reply 4 of 45
    jpmiajpmia Posts: 63member
    tomorrow he will say that apple is domed!!
  • Reply 5 of 45
    Quote:

Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

Wall Street sentiment has changed towards Apple. There are numerous analysts changing their tone towards Apple.

Why? What has changed so dramatically in their collective view about Apple since Apple stuffed the channels with 9 million collecting dust iPhones?

Could it be the 5s 64-bit processor is not a gimmick? Could it be that customers are actually using the fingerprint scanner to make purchases on iTunes, the App Store and the iBook Store? Could it be that iBeacons is actually being accepted and deployed faster and more widely than NFC for indoor mapping AND digital payments? Could it be that Apple actually has been innovative even though so many analysts wanted to completely dismantle the company while promoting... (I cannot bring myself to type that name)

I encourage you to let it out before it consumes your soul :)

• Reply 6 of 45

Billions of activations though........billions and billions and billions of activations......millions per second.......essentially every person in the entire world activates an Android phone every day............Android is more secure than iPhone..........iPhone is only for old people............trust me

• Reply 7 of 45
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    US ? World

Please say more than half of US teens.
  • Reply 8 of 45
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member

No young person I know is content with their non-iPhone.  Apple products are the [edit] apex.

My niece, a freshman high schooler, absolutely lusts for a 5s, wants nothing to do with even a 5c.  She currently owns a current-gen iPod Touch, a iPad, a Mac Mini.... and an Android phone that can't seem to hold a charge worth a flip.

Another niece, college-graduated, and in her first "real" day job, bemoans her Android phone as unreliable, and has put her name on the waiting list for a silver 5s, and is paying extra to get out of her current contract, to boot.

My daughter keeps pestering for an iPhone... at her college, it's a status symbol (she already owns a MBP).  Her frustration will likely go through the roof when her brother receives one as his college graduation gift later this fall.  (Which is ironic, because it's not as important to him.)

• Reply 9 of 45
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

US ? World

Please say more than half of US teens.

China = 1/2 the world. iPhone 5S Gold is the most wanted item in that country.

• Reply 10 of 45
    Not an accurate statement. Sample did not include all teens since lower SES did not seem included. Not enough money does put kids at a disadvantage (if one assumes there is an advantage to having these devices). In any case, the feeling of being disadvantaged is certainly real and damaging.
  • Reply 11 of 45
    Billions of activations though........billions and billions and billions of activations......millions per second.......essentially every person in the entire world activates an Android phone every day............Android is more secure than iPhone..........iPhone is only for old people............trust me

Hey quite down, Eric Schmuck er I mean Schmidt said so. ;)
  • Reply 12 of 45

Good rant!

I just got my 5S today (stayed up late with mon ami Francois, Jaques Daniels -- and missed the order opening by 1 hour)... It is amazing (even though I haven't had much time to play) -- I am writing this as I restore the 5S from my 5 backup.

I am writing an indoor mapping/navigation app using iBeacons -- works pretty well except nobody is shipping any beacons yet... That means you have to use a iPhone 4S, iPad 3 or better to act as beacons. You need at least 3 beacons plus the target to determine location (trilateration)... So, I am tying up several thousands of $ of iDevices (plugged in and running) instead of $120 worth of beacons.

Anyway, I suspect the iPad announcement will have A7X APUs and some unexpected other stuff -- that will blow us all away!
  • Reply 13 of 45
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

....according to a new study that shows the iPhone in the hands of more than half of American teens from high and and middle income families.  Piper Piper Jaffray didn't survey low income families because they couldn't care less about what they buy.

• Reply 14 of 45
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Piper Piper Jaffray didn't survey low income families because they couldn't care less about what they buy.

That's exactly what I've always been saying. Far too much emphasis is placed on people with no money. Who cares about them? They have no purchasing power and they are pretty much irrelevant. Apple is far too busy selling devices to people who have money, than to bother with those who do not. What kind of a business strategy is that? To target customers who have no money? That's not exactly a lucrative market. Android and friends already has that no profit market covered. 

• Reply 15 of 45

<Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

.... Apple products are the nadir. ...>

Given the context, I think you mean zenith?

• Reply 16 of 45
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

The Apple haters and bashers are standing on a big iceberg that is getting smallller and smmaaallleer as it melts.

They're losing the young demographic part of the ice, as Apple is tops with teens not just in the USA.

They're losing the marketshare part of the ice, as Apple is surging especially in China EVEN BEFORE THE BIG CHINA MOBILE ANNOUCEMENT.

They're losing the speedy hardware part of the ice, as Apple has the fastest phones AND Sammy has been caught doping its gear to get better numbers.

They don't even compete on the OS, battery life, number of high quality apps, top games, heck the total number of apps....

All they got left is one tiny little piece of ice called, MY SCREEN IS BIGGER THAN YOURS.

• Reply 17 of 45
    As for me, a teen myself, I see about a 60-90% iPhone to other ratio, but the tablet I notice most just don't have, There are the apple and the Mac lovers(and rare windows), all I know is when I'm told "iPhone is inferior to android because you can't run windows on it".
  • Reply 18 of 45
    trblzrtrblzr Posts: 10member
    I admit my sample space is not very large, however when I look at all of my friends, family and coworkers I know of several that had Android phones and Blackberry phones. All of those that switched went to the iPhone and say they will never go back. Also of those with iPhones none have every switched to android or any other non-iOS phone. They all plan that their next phone to be another iPhone.

Of those who have switched to the iPhone, some were on Verizon and some on T-Mobile so they waited until the iPhone was available and switched as soon as their contract was up. A couple however paid to break their contract in order to get the iPhone. I have never known anyone who paid to break their contract in order to get a Samsung or other android.
  • Reply 19 of 45
    A significant number of teens who own an Android tablet probably also own an iPad. Most Android tablets are nothing more than cheap, plastic toys for kids/accident prone people, or price sensitive consumers to watch TV/Movies on.
  • Reply 20 of 45
    Quote:

Originally Posted by battiato1981 View Post

<Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

.... Apple products are the nadir. ...>

Given the context, I think you mean zenith?

Zenith - the quality goes in before the name goes on. :)