Flickr updates iOS app with automatic upload, new editing tool

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Yahoo's Flickr photo hosting service released an update to their popular iOS application Wednesday, featuring automatic uploading to its terabyte-per-user storage, a new straighten tool, and a slightly refined user interface for iOS 7.

Flickr iOS app update

The update leverages iOS 7's new background task execution feature to provide quick, seamless photo uploading, even if the app is closed before the upload is finished. New photos are marked 'private' by default, and users can choose whether the app can make use of their cellular data network for uploading.

Another addition is the app's ability to automatically straighten photos. The feature worked well in AppleInsider's tests, quickly identifying edges in photos and rotating the image accordingly, though it was occasionally fooled by images which did not contain long, straight edges, such as a three-quarter shot of a MacBook Pro's keyboard.

Flickr iOS app update
Interface Incongruity: The app mixes iOS 7-style UI elements (left) with pre-iOS 7 shaded controls (right).

The app also received some user interface polish for iOS 7 ??including a flatter application icon ??although it does not fully embrace Apple's new design language and leaves some pre-iOS 7 UI elements intact, making for a slightly dissonant experience.

Navigation elements, for instance, are inconsistent. The camera view, which appears to use a slightly modified version of Apple's built-in camera controls, makes use of iOS 7's thin typography and borderless buttons, while other screens maintain iOS 6-style shaded controls.

The app is available as a free download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Anyone know,
    If i could download back the Original Copy of the Photo?

I can see this being the backup of all photos I have on iPhone.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    It looks to me like they just switched to the new built-in camera API with its advantages and did not update any of the UI anywhere else.
  • Reply 3 of 13

Why iPad version is not there yet?

// Pls dont tell me Safari is enough. :)

• Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Anyone know,

If i could download back the Original Copy of the Photo?

I can see this being the backup of all photos I have on iPhone.

I suppose you could use it that way but you would find it difficult to restore your albums,  events, maps, etc… on IPhoto if you tried to bring them back down to your device.

• Reply 5 of 13
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    That 1TB is nice, but it's not going to Flickr me over. I find the interface to be annoying, I was told I could search by camera make, model, aperture settings and all that but I can't find it. And the amount of stuff I need to share with Yahoo in order to get an account just pisses me off.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

That 1TB is nice, but it's not going to Flickr me over. I find the interface to be annoying, I was told I could search by camera make, model, aperture settings and all that but I can't find it. And the amount of stuff I need to share with Yahoo in order to get an account just pisses me off.

http://www.flickr.com/cameras

• Reply 7 of 13
    Still no iPad version. :-(
  • Reply 8 of 13
    rickfaced wrote: »
    This would be very useful considering Flickr gives 1 TB of storage. Does anyone know if this app renames your files? To some it's no big deal, but to me, I would like to save the same naming scheme of the iPhone.

Y'all do realize that it doesn't delete the photos off of your phone ... It just auto uploads them to a private set where you can then later work with them
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Werner View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickFaced View Post

This would be very useful considering Flickr gives 1 TB of storage. Does anyone know if this app renames your files? To some it's no big deal, but to me, I would like to save the same naming scheme of the iPhone.

Y'all do realize that it doesn't delete the photos off of your phone ... It just auto uploads them to a private set where you can then later work with them

Duh. So that means then too that when I do a Time Machine backup or send someone a file as an e-mail enclosure it still is on my computer?!

WOW -- No wonder I keep running out of HD space! /s

I know this is a stretch but when I print a document say from iWork, is it still on my iMac too?

• Reply 10 of 13
    philboogie wrote: »

http://www.flickr.com/cameras

Excellent! And thn I wanted to filter by photographer, Kevin Russ, which gave me zilch:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Kevin+Russ&cm=apple/iphone_5

Perhaps I can search for him first, and then filter by camera? Tnx
  • Reply 11 of 13
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

And the amount of stuff I need to share with Yahoo in order to get an account just pisses me off.

Thank you for calling this out!  Yahoo recently even changed their policy on email accounts.  I literally couldn't create an email account without giving them a cell phone number.  They have requested this for some time, but it was always optional; this time I couldn't find any way around it.  So I left and started using another service for secondary/tertiary accounts.  Bye bye yahoo email. :-(

Here's the thing.  It's a great idea to allow this, for important accounts, but it's complete bullshit to require it.  They are very clear that it needs to be a cell # so they can send text messages to it.

Serious problems with this policy:

1) Not everyone has free text plans (I don't), and some people purposely disable that service.

2) Not everyone even has cell phones.  Sure, it's probably high 90s % now, but that's not everyone that uses the internet.  Go to your public library some time to see people that will be excluded from using email if this policy spreads further.

3) Not everyone wants to give their private cell # out to commercial companies.  Especially companies whose business models revolve around collecting personal data and creating behavioral profiles of their users.  I will never do that.  I'll stop using email first.

• Reply 12 of 13
    blah64 wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
     And the amount of stuff I need to share with Yahoo in order to get an account just pisses me off.

Thank you for calling this out!  Yahoo recently even changed their policy on email accounts.  I literally couldn't create an email account without giving them a cell phone number.  They have requested this for some time, but it was always optional; this time I couldn't find any way around it.  So I left and started using another service for secondary/tertiary accounts.  Bye bye yahoo email. :-(

Here's the thing.  It's a great idea to allow this, for important accounts, but it's complete bullshit to require it.  They are very clear that it needs to be a cell # so they can send text messages to it.

Serious problems with this policy:
    1) Not everyone has free text plans (I don't), and some people purposely disable that service.
    2) Not everyone even has cell phones.  Sure, it's probably high 90s % now, but that's not everyone that uses the internet.  Go to your public library some time to see people that will be excluded from using email if this policy spreads further.
    3) Not everyone wants to give their private cell # out to commercial companies.  Especially companies whose business models revolve around collecting personal data and creating behavioral profiles of their users.  I will never do that.  I'll stop using email first.

Ooh, all valid points! Don't forget, they also scan email for targeted ads. And they pinpoint your location. The way to opt out is to delete the app. F question, or so their help file reads. Good luck with that when using Safari on iPhone. Their other suggestion is to contact your mobile service provider, or the device manufacturer. Right, thanks Yahoo.

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/privacy/access/privacy-10.html