Supply chain visit makes analyst 'confident' about larger iPhone in 2014

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Sources in Apple's supply chain have reportedly indicated that Apple is on track to release a new iPhone with a larger screen next year, according to one analyst.

iPhone Plus
Mockup of iPhone with 4.94-inch screen, created by Marco Arment.

Brian White of Cantor Fitzgerald is on a tour of tech companies in China and Taiwan. Most recently, he visited with a tech supply chain vendor in China, who apparently indicated that a bigger iPhone is in the works.

"Given today's meeting, we are confident that a larger iPhone (approximately five inches) will become a reality in 2014," White said.

As screens on smartphones trend larger, Apple already increased the size of the iPhone display last year, when the iPhone 5 grew from the previous standard of 3.5 inches to a taller 4-inch screen.

White's comments align with those of well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities, who indicated last month that Apple is likely to launch a new, larger iPhone with a screen size between 4.5 and 5 inches next year. He noted that Apple is less likely to use anything larger than 5 inches due to the company's "unwavering principle of one-hand use."

Plus
Concept for a larger-screened iPhone, via iMore.

So-called big-screen "phablets" have become increasingly popular, with Samsung leading the way in terms of selection. The just-released Galaxy Note III features a 5.7-inch display, while the Galaxy Mega comes close to being a small tablet with a 6.3-inch screen.

White also discussed Apple's rumored "iWatch" on Thursday, and said he spoke with one supplier who suggested the wrist-worn device will be much more than an extension of the iPhone. This person reportedly indicated the device will act as a "multi-purpose gateway" for controlling a connected home.

The supply chain source suggested that a so-called "iWatch" could be used to control heating and cooling, lights, audio and video. An easily accessible device worn on the wrist would allow users to easily control household appliances, without the need to have their phone on them.

White expects that Apple will launch a smart watch accessory before the end of calendar year 2014.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 96
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    I'm sure Apple will increase the screen size- and they should- because there is a demand. But I hope 2014 is the first year they offer two sizes (on new phones). A 4" and a 4.x".
  • Reply 2 of 96
    dugbugdugbug Posts: 283member
    i hope whatever apple does they do not get rid of the current one-handed phone. Want two? Fine. I can understand older folks needing larger screens as the eyes fail.
  • Reply 3 of 96
    True
    Ml
  • Reply 4 of 96

Between 4.5" and 5"? I don't think so.

Between 4.3" and 4.5"? Sure.

Apple will want to offer an elegant phone... not some sort of monster.

• Reply 5 of 96
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    dugbug wrote: »
    i hope whatever apple does they do not get rid of the current one-handed phone. Want two? Fine. I can understand older folks needing larger screens as the eyes fail.

If they do maybe they can be as clever as Samsung in that regard. /s

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 6 of 96
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Between 4.5" and 5"? I don't think so.

Between 4.3" and 4.5"? Sure.

Apple will want to offer an elegant phone... not some sort of monster.

A while back some display expert said, Apple would have to do  4.8 in order to make things easier on developers.

• Reply 7 of 96
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

I'm young-ish (30) and want a larger phone. Eyes are perfect.
  • Reply 8 of 96
    i hope whatever apple does they do not get rid of the current one-handed phone. Want two? Fine.

I can understand older folks needing larger screens as the eyes fail.

I am 47, up to six months ago I didn't want a larger screen., but now I find I may need glasses and would definitely consider a larger screen iPhone say 4.5 or 4.7"
    Must be an iPhone though, I would never consider samsung or android!!
  • Reply 9 of 96
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    as I use iOS 7 every day for the past weeks a revelation just came to me this morning: all the gestures introduced in iOS 7 are designed with one hand operation for a larger iPhone screen in mind. For example, you no longer need to reach to the up left corner to navigate back, instead you could just swipe anywhere from left to right to go back. Perfect.
  • Reply 10 of 96
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    As a New Yorker I see the Samsung crowd falling on people all time because they can't hold on while using their phones on trains and buses. Same thing with umbrella holding- they wobble down the street and look like a mess. Also it doesn't fit right in manorexic skinny jeans. :D
  • Reply 11 of 96
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

A while back some display expert said, Apple would have to do  4.8 in order to make things easier on developers.

I think Soli figured this out before.

Either 4.3 or 4.9.

• Reply 12 of 96
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    mubaili wrote: »
    as I use iOS 7 every day for the past weeks a revelation just came to me this morning: all the gestures introduced in iOS 7 are designed with one hand operation for a larger iPhone screen in mind. For example, you no longer need to reach to the up left corner to navigate back, instead you could just swipe anywhere from left to right to go back. Perfect.

How does that work in Safari?
  • Reply 13 of 96
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    I think Soli figured this out before.

Either 4.3 or 4.9.

Not true. You could make it any size without changing resolutions by scaling the pixel dimensions. Or, you could use any multiple of current resolutions (1.5x, for example) at any size you choose by scaling the pixel size to match.
  • Reply 14 of 96
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Again Analysis idiots, they think because Apple make inquiries into suppliers to provide prototype of a display or various sizes does not mean they are going to make into a release product.

This is why all these rumor start they hear Apple is looking at some specific technology and they immediately think it must be a product. Apple has made it clear they look at lots of things before they decide on what path to take forward.

And for those individual who want a large display whether you have a need to have big things in your hands, of you have some deficiency in your body requiring the larger display you have to realize you a small majority of the users out there. Apple has show they are not going to dilute the products line chasing a smaller market segment unless it has some strategic importance to the overall product offering. Remember they are not the Me Too company, we all know who they are.
  • Reply 15 of 96
    Quote:

Originally Posted by akqies View Post

If they do maybe they can be as clever as Samsung in that regard. /s

Indeed.

Why people keep on bringing this nonsense?

:no:

• Reply 16 of 96
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I'm young-ish (30) and want a larger phone. Eyes are perfect.

... and I'm old as dirt, and my eyes are failing... but I still love the 4s.   :)

It's all about personal preference... not so much about age.

• Reply 17 of 96
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Not true. You could make it any size without changing resolutions by scaling the pixel dimensions. Or, you could use any multiple of current resolutions (1.5x, for example) at any size you choose by scaling the pixel size to match.

Well, that's great. The idea that Apple would 'have' to make a 4.8-4.9" phone if they made it bigger doesn't sound that appealing to me.

• Reply 18 of 96
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    These stories always amuse me. Do we really think Apple suppliers are going to leak future Apple plans to some Wall Street analyst? Or are these analysts paying off some factory worker to spill the goods?
  • Reply 19 of 96
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I am not an expert by any means, but part of the equation seemed to center around keeping the phone a retina display. If you provide a bigger screen, keep the same resolution, and scale the pixels larger to match the screen, presumably the screen would lose its status as a retina screen. At least that is how sites like Daringfireball were framing the issue. 

• Reply 20 of 96
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Scafe2 View Post

I am 47, up to six months ago I didn't want a larger screen., but now I find I may need glasses and would definitely consider a larger screen iPhone say 4.5 or 4.7"

Must be an iPhone though, I would never consider samsung or android!!

Get used to it! Creeping presbyopia says you're going to need those glasses for close vision. On the plus side, once you get used to using them, the problem is taken care of. Ask me how I know... <g>