Great deal on Toshiba e740 PPC

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I know that pocket pc's don't work well with macs, but they are extremely cool little machines. I just picked one up off of amazon earlier this week and it was $519. They had two rebates going that brought the price down to $369. Since that time, they've dropped the price to $449, still $70 more than some places, and removed the rebates. But the rebates are still valid as long as you order before the end of the month.

I was smart and kept the rebates on my computer. They've lowered my price to the $449 and I'm going to be getting another $150 back. So I'm getting one of the best PPC's for the low, low price of $299. Like I said, I've still got the rebates and I can send them to anyone who wants them. You should look over the terms first and then decide, but I don't anticipate any problems.

torifile_at_mac_dot_com if you want 'em.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    stimulistimuli Posts: 564member
    Good score, Torifile.

Hmm.. wonder if they run linux...
  • Reply 2 of 7
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by stimuli:

<strong>Good score, Torifile.

Hmm.. wonder if they run linux...</strong><hr></blockquote>

I've read that they can. I won't try it, but I'm sure that it would be cool. Get one and try it!
  • Reply 3 of 7
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    [quote]Originally posted by stimuli:

<strong>Good score, Torifile.

Hmm.. wonder if they run linux...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yup. Plus 802.11b and Bluetooth.

I'm sure you can imagine some possibilities.

Hrmm. Seems the e740, and Toshiba's line in general, is URL=http://www.handhelds.org/pipermail/handhelds/2002-July/002934.html]bad news[/URL] linux wise.

[ 10-20-2002: Message edited by: serrano ]

[ 10-20-2002: Message edited by: serrano ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 7
    klinuxklinux Posts: 453member
    Compaq's iPaq can run linux (QTopia, I believe). I have not seen another PPC that does this though.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Woohoo! So far I've been able to sync via airport and I just figured out how to map my home directory as a drive on the PPC over airport. This machine is super cool. Too bad it's about as intuitive as most MS OS's. :/ Not exactly the most user-friendly thing on the planet. But damn is it nice.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    klinuxklinux Posts: 453member
    I am interested to hear how you've got it to "sync".
  • Reply 7 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by klinux:

<strong>I am interested to hear how you've got it to "sync".</strong><hr></blockquote>

VPC 5 and Activesync/Outlook 2002 (came with the pda). I'm really just syncing as backup. The work is all done on the e740. Some file transfers, but sharing a folder in VPC makes that a snap. And now that I can get my home directory shared, even that will be less of a hassle.