iPhone 5s supply declining in US while Apple's iPhone 5c remains fully stocked

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Three weeks after the latest iPhones went on sale in the U.S., availability of the iPhone 5s has actually declined while Apple prepares for greater international roll-out.

iPhone 5s

Analyst Gene Munster of Piper Jaffray has been checking inventory levels of the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c since they went on sale Sept. 21. In a note to investors provided to AppleInsider on Friday, he indicated that supply of the iPhone 5s went from 27 percent availability two weeks ago to 6 percent over the past week, based on a check of 60 Apple stores.

In addition, the number of stores that had at least one iPhone 5s SKU available dropped from 90 percent two weeks ago to 40 percent over the past week. Munster believes the shrinking supply is probably a result of Apple preparing for an international launch, with 51 new markets set to receive both the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c by Nov. 1.Resale value of the iPhone 5s is currently 32% above market value in the U.S.

In another sign of demand, Munster has also been tracking resale value, and found that the entry-level 16-gigabyte iPhone 5s is currently selling at a 32 percent premium in the U.S.

The story is different for the iPhone 5c, which is selling at an 11 percent discount over its retail price. Munster's checks also found that the iPhone 5c remains well-stocked, and he expects that demand for the mid-level handset is about in-line with market expectations.

In comparison, Samsung's flagship Galaxy S4 currently sells for a 12 percent discount in the U.S., putting it about on par with Apple's iPhone 5c.

"We expect iPhone aftermarket prices should decrease as 5S supply catches up to demand and would consider the 5S fully stocked when the 5S is available to ship in a 24 hour lead time," Munster wrote.. Currently Apple's online store quotes iPhone 5S October lead times in Apple's 6 largest countries, and 24 hours for the 5C."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    Here we go again. Now in from Piper Jaffray - supply chain checks point to iPhone 5c having no demand. Apple cutting production in half!........
  • Reply 2 of 33
    If anal ists is that good to check their anal , they should know what is the new wow thing from Apple this fall . So far , no parts of it has been leaked .
  • Reply 3 of 33
    I can't speak for the 5c, but I missed my window in the NYC market last week Monday, where just about all the Apple Stores had the grey, (and to a lesser extent, the white) models in stock. Since last Tuesday morning, supply has been dismal.

Here's a handy site that scrapes Apple's online store for availability based on color, capacity, carrier and zip code, in case anyone is interested.

http://iphone-check.herokuapp.com
  • Reply 4 of 33
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member

I've bought two iPhone 5s' in the last couple of weeks, a white 32GB and a grey 32GB. Neither were in stock at my local AT&T store, but both shipped the next day and were received the same week. I understand that the gold model's availability is much more limited.

• Reply 5 of 33
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Hardly a suprise, the 5c will be cheaper and easier to produce due to the plastic casing and year old tech.

Plus it's comparatively a very poor deal against the 5s so I'd imagine a lot more people want the iPhone 5s.

I wonder what the sales split is between the 4s and 5c, that'd be an interesting chart.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Three weeks after the latest iPhones went on sale in the U.S., availability of the iPhone 5s has actually declined while Apple prepares for greater international roll-out.

Analyst Gene Munster of Piper Jaffray has been checking inventory levels of the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c since they went on sale Sept. 21. In a note to investors provided to <em>AppleInsider</em> on Friday, he indicated that supply of the iPhone 5s went from 27 percent availability two weeks ago to 6 percent over the past week, based on a check of 60 Apple stores.

Wait a second. The story last month was that Apple's numbers were exaggerated because they stuffed the channels with both models. But if the 5S only had a 27% availability, where were all the phones that got stuffed into the channels?

If his numbers are accurate, it's pretty good news - and says that they're continuing to sell them at a rapid clip.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

iPhone C sold out = supply constraints, canibalizing 5S sales, lower margins

Did you read that somewhere?

I'd be interested to see the article.

[never mind... I see where you're going with this.]

• Reply 8 of 33
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    still waiting for my 64G 5S order from Apple Online Store to be processed (Stuck in the processing order status for the past week). sigh.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Wait a second. The story last month was that Apple's numbers were exaggerated because they stuffed the channels with both models. But if the 5S only had a 27% availability, where were all the phones that got stuffed into the channels?

If his numbers are accurate, it's pretty good news - and says that they're continuing to sell them at a rapid clip.

There was no suggestion of channel stuffing the 5s, that sold out - all inventory that went into the channel was sold on to end customers so the 'shipped' and 'sold' figures are one in the same. The channel stuffing suggestion was all around the 5c.

• Reply 10 of 33
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    saarek wrote: »
    Hardly a suprise, the 5c will be cheaper and easier to produce due to the plastic casing and year old tech.

Plus it's comparatively a very poor deal against the 5s so I'd imagine a lot more people want the iPhone 5s.

I wonder what the sales split is between the 4s and 5c, that'd be an interesting chart.
    Why is it "comparatively a very poor deal" compared to the 5S? Because the case is plastic? Would you say the same thing if Apple had kept the 5 and reduced it $100? Why do people keep banging on about "year old tech". The iPhone 5 is still a damn good phone.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    scartart wrote: »
    There was no suggestion of channel stuffing the 5s, that sold out - all inventory that went into the channel was sold on to end customers so the 'shipped' and 'sold' figures are one in the same. The channel stuffing suggestion was all around the 5c.
    The channel stuffing was analysts refusing to admit their sales estimates were wrong. They predicted 6M, Apple announced 9M so the difference has to be channel stuffing. Because analysts can never be wrong and no one ever fact checks what they say or predict.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    I can't speak for the 5c, but I missed my window in the NYC market last week Monday, where just about all the Apple Stores had the grey, (and to a lesser extent, the white) models in stock. Since last Tuesday morning, supply has been dismal.

Here's a handy site that scrapes Apple's online store for availability based on color, capacity, carrier and zip code, in case anyone is interested.

http://iphone-check.herokuapp.com

I'll bet this is from where the analyst is pulling his numbers, and then passing it off with fancy language like 'channel checks.'
  • Reply 13 of 33
    oh no, Apple is doomed as they sell millions more of the expensive 5s devices. Steve Jobs would never let this happens, Tim Cook should be fired, blah, blah, blah.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Why is it "comparatively a very poor deal" compared to the 5S? Because the case is plastic? Would you say the same thing if Apple had kept the 5 and reduced it $100? Why do people keep banging on about "year old tech". The iPhone 5 is still a damn good phone.

The fact that the iPhone 5c has good overall performance does not change the fact that it's year old tech and therefore cheaper and easier to produce.

I've frequently said that I feel the iPhone 5c should be $50 less to reflect the cheaper case, however that's by the by.

For $100 you get a LOT more for your money, from the fingerprint scanner through to the 64bit CPU the device is a far superior.

Now admittedly, for the here and now one could argue that the 5c is fast enough. But, in two years time when iOS 9 ships I can guarantee that the 64bit CPU in the 5s will make one hell of a difference.

There is nothing wrong with the 5c, it’s a solid little phone and I am sure it will make many people very happy. Usually I find that the middle option within Apple’s product lines offer the best overall value, but in this case, at least to my mind I feel it is overpriced and poor value compared to the 4s and the 5s in terms of the line up.

• Reply 15 of 33
    Still can't stand Gene Munster. But this once again (as well as the story that came out yesterday about Apple cutting production in half) adds more fuel to the fire that he was right about the launch weekend numbers and that despite all the screaming and yelling here the stock market may have go it right.

I'm amazed to see people posting here who STILL don't understand what was said and the significance of it. Munster never used the term channel stuffing and I don't believe he insinuated it either. He was trying to point out that any comparison between iPhone 5 launch numbers and combined iPhone 5C/5S (the magic 9 million) number wasn't valid because in his view, 3.5 million 5C units were not 'sold through', ie. actually paid for by an end customer, whereas all the iPhone 5 units were sold-through in the launch for that product.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    Apple 5s availability near 0 on the whole west coast for over a week... You can go online to Apple.com to get this data by store anytime... I have been checking this about 5 times a day & repeated trips to the Apple store, AT&T store & Best Buy... This last week Best Buy received 2 presold 5s, AT&T received 5 silver 64 gig silvers... The local Apple store has large sign at the door that they have no 5s due to high demand... When I pointed out that Apple.com says they aren't getting them to sell, they agreed that this was the real issue... They are real frustrated too, they keep pushing people to 5C's, but they just walk back out the door... When we hear Apple is going to 50 new countries & there has been near zero in the US for weeks it appears Apple's management team is out of touch with their consumer base...
  • Reply 17 of 33
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    scartart wrote: »

Yet they are just guessing at this point. Who says Apple couldn't have sold 7 MM 5S on its first weekend?
  • Reply 18 of 33

First, how was 5c launch compared to last year's 4s sales?

Second I think 5c will be popular for the holidays year as the "new" model instead of last year's model.

• Reply 19 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

First, how was 5c launch compared to last year's 4s sales?

Second I think 5c will be popular for the holidays year as the "new" model instead of last year's model.

Let's see if it hits $0 with a 2 year contract as a holiday promotion. Then it should be really popular as a gift for the younguns.

• Reply 20 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

The channel stuffing was analysts refusing to admit their sales estimates were wrong. They predicted 6M, Apple announced 9M so the difference has to be channel stuffing. Because analysts can never be wrong and no one ever fact checks what they say or predict.

correct, their premise is the extra 3M was made up of 5c phones sitting on shelves rather than there being any extra demand.