iPhone 5s has 2% app crash rate; crashes half as likely on iPhone 5 & 5c

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2014
Apple's new 64-bit iOS 7 and A7 processor found in the iPhone 5s apparently have a few bugs that still need to be ironed out, as a new study reveals that applications are twice as likely to crash on the iPhone 5s than they are on the 32-bit iPhone 5.

iPhone 5s

The data collected by Crittercism, and shared on Friday by AllThingsD, reveals that applications running on the iPhone 5s have a crash rate of about 2 percent. In contrast, last year's iPhone 5 and this year's iPhone 5c, which run the same CPU and 32-bit version of iOS 7, see an application crash rate of just under 1 percent.

A representative for Crittercism suggests that crashes are more likely to occur on the iPhone 5s because developers were unable to check compatibility with the latest iPhone and its new 64-bit A7 processor ahead of its launch. Testing for iOS 7 on 32-bit chips has been possible since the first beta was released at Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference in June.

Despite lingering issues, the bug tracking company said Apple has still done a good job of transitioning to a new 64-bit version of its mobile operating system in a way that is largely seamless to end users. Such problems are inevitable with the release of any new hardware or software, they said.

The data on iPhone 5s crashes comes as some users have reported seeing Windows-style "Blue Screen of Death" reboots on Apple's latest handset. The issue seems to be triggered by using the multitasking feature of iOS 7, which can be accessed by double-tapping the home button.

Apple has already released two minor updates for iOS 7 to address bugs. The first was a day-one update available for new iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c buyers, while iOS 7.0.2 arrived in late September to fix a lockscreen passcode bug.

The company has promised to soon release another update to iOS 7 to address issues with its iMessage service, as well as iPad supervision profiles. Apple is said to have provided select partners with an early version of iOS 7.0.3 earlier this month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 94
    Haven't seen a problem with the iPhone5S yet. Must not be running apps which are not handled appropriately.
  • Reply 2 of 94
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    Of course there are bugs but I can't say it's a huge issue or a deal breaker. I've had exactly one non-repeateadable blue screen.
  • Reply 3 of 94
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

"Despite lingering issues, the bug tracking company said Apple has still done a good job of transitioning to a new 64-bit version of its mobile operating system in a way that is largely seamless to end users. Such problems are inevitable with the release of any new hardware or software, they said."

Yet the report reads like yet another "Apple is doomed" screed and will be picked up and spread like gonorrhea on a Thai cruise ship by the anti-Apple tech media. I can just see the headlines on Computerworld, C|net,  Forbes, MacRumors, AppleInsider... oh wait.

• Reply 4 of 94
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Apple's new 64-bit iOS 7 and A7 processor found in the iPhone 5s apparently have a few bugs that still need to be ironed out, as a new study reveals that applications are twice as likely to crash on the iPhone 5s than they are on the 32-bit iPhone 5..

Based on the tiny number of people who report their bugs to this company.

While it's likely that there will be more bugs on the 5S than on the 5C, I doubt if this company has any real evidence to back up their 'twice as likely" or "2%" claims.
  • Reply 5 of 94
    No problems here. My 5s running 7.02 has been more rock solid with apps (and I have about 200 apps on my phone), and I have hammered this past week. I cant say I've had one app crash yet.

It seems more stable even than my 5 running 6.1.4 (possibly because some of the apps have been updated for iOS 7 compatibility and that makes them less stable).

Even infinity blade 3 loads without issue. The only issue I've had is the well known email POP 'bug' displaying tens of thousands of unread emails (all my other accounts support exchange server access which register the read and unread email count)
  • Reply 6 of 94
    I had that BSOD on my 5s, it rebooted, and then did it again. That isn't good, but I'm sticking with it.
  • Reply 7 of 94
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member

More crashes is newsworthy, despite desires that the news be suppressed.

And Apple made a mistake here, there's NO good reason to put a 64-bit processor in a mobile device yet.  Maybe in a few years when individual apps need more than 2GB RAM it'll make sense, but the iPhone 5s only has 1GB RAM, Apple rushed this to market, it gives the user NO advantages over a 32-bit chip, and the software wasn't ready for it yet.

Mix that with iOS 7 being a steaming pile of garbage, and you get a device that's selling well ONLY because it's a status symbol.  Look, I've been an Apple guy since 1982, but if we don't call Apple on their mistakes, we're only going to get junk.  And if Apple keeps pushing junk out for too long, Apple really will be dying. And NONE of us want that.

• Reply 8 of 94

I've definitely seen more crashes with my 5s than I ever experienced with my 4s, and I'm not sure what's going on -- the phone will suddenly go to the white screen with the black Apple logo, as if it were rebooting, and then a few seconds later the lock screen shows. It's apparent that it wasn't actually a reboot though, because a) the Apple logo screen only shows for about 5 seconds, and b) I'm not forced to enter my password at the lock screen -- fingerprint scan still lets me in. The last time it happened was when I was trying to search for a song in the Music app.

This has probably happened about 2 times a week (so it's not terribly inconvenient or anything), and I'm a pretty heavy user. I figured it was more likely due to bugs in the newly revamped iOS rather than something to do with the 64-bit processor, but who knows.

• Reply 9 of 94

Same here. I get the most crashes and restarts when I go to multi-task on the 5S. It happens once or twice a day. Not too big of a deal but a little annoying.

• Reply 10 of 94

This is why I'm going to wait for the 128GB version. Hope it will be this year but I'm not going to rush to upgrade to a phone with the same storage that's presently inadequate for me and one that also happens to crash more!

• Reply 11 of 94
    Crittercism. Enough said. They trot out reports like this right when iOS is released and compare it to Android from last version and imply iOS crashes more. They did this back when iOS 5 came out and fandroids are STILL linking to that bogus study as proof that Android is more stable.
  • Reply 12 of 94
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Well, that didn't take long. BIG HEADLINE at C|net...

Blue Screen of Death attacks some Phone 5S owners

"The infamous Blue Screen of Death seems to have expanded from Windows PCs to iPhones."

Apple Is Doomed!

• Reply 13 of 94
    I'm on the train so can't check Crittercism's site at length, but last time I did they only released ONE study when iOS 5 came out. AFAIK they have only now done two studies - iOS 5 release and iOS 7 release. They have never done a test 6 months later to see if the numbers have changed nor have they done a test after a new version of Android is released to see how their developers are doing.

Oh, and Google is an investor , BTW.
  • Reply 14 of 94
    No blue screens yet with my 5S, but the camera/photos app has locked up a few times to where I have to remove it from memory and reload it...
  • Reply 15 of 94
    My app kept crashing consistently, but looks like it was more of an iOS 7 issue.

Took a couple weeks of work to fix. Just got the green light. :D
  • Reply 16 of 94
    I have had a few crashes on my 5 that are a bit annoying but nothing major. My wife has the 5s and no issues to speak of. I would expect some turbulence as they navigate through this transition but will improve over time.
  • Reply 17 of 94

My daughter just got a new iPhone 5 because her old one was having problems and last night she said her phone froze 3 times in 1.5 hour time she is taking it back today only have 7 days of warranty left on it. She took it to Apple and they said it was the firmware so they updated it, I hope this solves the problem, as soon as her new iPhone 5s comes in I get her 5.

• Reply 18 of 94
    I've not noticed any dramatic increase in crashes between my 5s and the 5 but I was actually more problems given the newness of the 64 bit architecture. I noticed the resident Google shills/Apple haters here on the forum are crapping about Apple being doomed for going with 64 bit -sigh-
  • Reply 19 of 94
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    mwhiteco wrote: »
    My daughter just got a new iPhone 5 because her old one was having problems and last night she said her phone froze 3 times in 1.5 hour time she is taking it back today only have 7 days of warranty left on it.

Are you certain it's the phone and not an app running on iOS 7?
  • Reply 20 of 94
    I've had an app crash maybe four times. Always the same app, too: Numbers. It happens intermittently when I try to exit the app while it's still replicating updates to the cloud. If I slow down and let it finish replicating, it works fine.