iPhone 5s has 2% app crash rate; crashes half as likely on iPhone 5 & 5c

Comments

• Reply 21 of 94
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    OMG! How dare Apple release an industry changing chip and not have all of the bugs ironed out in 4 weeks /s
  • Reply 22 of 94

Developers need to update their apps, huh? How is this Apple’s fault?

• Reply 23 of 94
    Quote:

Originally Posted by akqies View Post

Are you certain it's the phone and not an app running on iOS 7?

I will tell her to remove all the apps and see if that helps. Thanks for your suggestion.

• Reply 24 of 94
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by booboo View Post

I've had an app crash maybe four times. Always the same app, too: Numbers. It happens intermittently when I try to exit the app while it's still replicating updates to the cloud. If I slow down and let it finish replicating, it works fine.

Disabling Cloud syncing for iWork suite is supposed to help reduce crashes.

• Reply 25 of 94
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    Developers need to update their apps, huh? How is this Apple’s fault?

As shown. Apple's iWork apps also can result in a crash so it's not just 3rd-party developers.
  • Reply 26 of 94
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    mwhiteco wrote: »

I will tell her to remove all the apps and see if that helps. Thanks for your suggestion.

Don't be an ass.
  • Reply 27 of 94
    I don't think that white screen Apple logo faux reboot thing is related to the processor. It happens on occasion with my iPhone 4 so it's likely the iOS 7 which I'm sure will be corrected.
  • Reply 28 of 94
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

Mix that with iOS 7 being a steaming pile of garbage, and you get a device that's selling well ONLY because it's a status symbol.  Look, I've been an Apple guy since 1982, but if we don't call Apple on their mistakes, we're only going to get junk.  And if Apple keeps pushing junk out for too long, Apple really will be dying. And NONE of us want that.

Anybody should be called on their mistakes if they are significant (affects end users), and if they have a history on not correcting their mistakes. But ... Your assertion that iOS 7 is a "steaming pile of garbage", and that people buy iPhones because they are status symbols, is silly and founded only on prejudice. The fact that you have been an apple user since 1982 proves to me that you have become a grumpy curmudgeon. We have to call each other on this ageing tendency. RAGE against it!

• Reply 29 of 94
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

More crashes is newsworthy, despite fanboi desires that the news be suppressed.

And Apple made a mistake here, there's NO good reason to put a 64-bit processor in a mobile device yet.  Maybe in a few years when individual apps need more than 2GB RAM it'll make sense, but the iPhone 5s only has 1GB RAM, Apple rushed this to market, it gives the user NO advantages over a 32-bit chip, and the software wasn't ready for it yet.

Mix that with iOS 7 being a steaming pile of garbage, and you get a device that's selling well ONLY because it's a status symbol.  Look, I've been an Apple guy since 1982, but if we don't call Apple on their mistakes, we're only going to get junk.  And if Apple keeps pushing junk out for too long, Apple really will be dying. And NONE of us want that.

We all have our *anecdotal* opinions. Fact is, though, iOS 7 is brilliant, and is an entirely necessary move away from iOS 6, which looks just dated and wonky now. 

Additionally, Apple is often accused of not innovating (though, wrongly), but when they are actually the first to make an advance in specs you cry foul?

This issue is minor, obviously, and will be fixed in due course. If you're complaining about iOS crashes, just take Android for a lengthy (and very eye-opening) spin. Make sure your airbags are tuned on.    

At some point your product has to deliver in order to sell well, especially when it's a closed platform, and one that aint cheap, either. The iPhone consumer satisfaction reports are out there for everyone to see, and they speak plainly to the fact that the iOS user experience is simply superior, due in part to the way in which Apple handles their vertical business model and their user-centric philosophy. 

So no, no particularly salient Apple "mistakes" in this case, apart from an issue requiring a patch, *or* developer updates. And there ya have it.

• Reply 30 of 94
    Quote:

And Apple made a mistake here, there's NO good reason to put a 64-bit processor in a mobile device yet.  Maybe in a few years when individual apps need more than 2GB RAM it'll make sense, but the iPhone 5s only has 1GB RAM, Apple rushed this to market, it gives the user NO advantages over a 32-bit chip, and the software wasn't ready for it yet.

What are you talking about with the 64-bit processor being a waste? Read any article about the chip and tell me there's no advantage to it. Developer (specifically a new unreleased Infinity Blade app) and Apple apps (the Camera app more specifically) are able to perform so much better. That's half the reason why the camera is so much better, despite being the same megapixel count - it can process so much more, even faster than before. And finally, just read the comments retracted by Snapdragon saying that the 64-bit processor is a marketing gimmick.

The major reason for the higher amount of crashes is because there weren't/aren't many devices with the 64-bit processor for developers to test their apps against. So just chill.

• Reply 31 of 94
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    We've had 2 gold 5Ss since Sept 27, and no crashes or hiccups at all. And I've only noticed one little quirk that I've not seen before. I'm pretty sure it's in iOS7 and not the 5S, but maybe.

Say I type some text in a message, hit return to give me a new line, and now I want to paste something at that spot. Tap and hold, right? Can't. I have to add at least one space on that line before I get a paste option to pop up.
  • Reply 32 of 94
    I must have been lucky, no crash on my 5S as yet, though one or two older apps can behave oddly, though I have found workarounds.

All my devices so far (iPhone 4, 4S, 5S and iPad) have been fine and have no issues with iOS 7, no app crashes as yet either.

Would it be worth starting a list of apps that have been run prior to the crash to see if other users can corroborate? Otherwise it's just a case of I got a crash, and I got a crash and no established reasons why
  • Reply 33 of 94
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:

You must be living in a vacuum. The idiotic insinuation that a 64 bit processor was somehow a marketing move has been refuted by experts. The 64 bit processor has over twice the transistors, which are wider then the ones found in the 32 bit version. The result is the A7 can process information much faster, and it can process 64 bits of information without breaking the information down into 32 bits. 

I have never known Apple to include technology just for the sake of including it. The results speak for themselves, the chip is on average twice as fast while using less power. Are there some kinks? Maybe, but you can't resolve them without putting the product out on the market and figure out how all the various third party software effects the product. 

This move was smoother then Apple moving to Intell, and bringing out OSX for the first time. When Apple brought OSX initially, I would get the blue screen of death daily. Within a few months, it dropped significantly.  

To each there own, but I love iOS7. I find new things about it everyday. The attention to detail is great. Last night around 12:15 am, I asked Siri to remind me call somebody tomorrow around 11. Siri knew it was shortly after midnight and responded, "Just to be clear, do you want to be reminded later today, on October 11,  or tomorrow on October 12. Truth was I wanted to be reminded later today. 

• Reply 34 of 94
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    IOh, and Google is an investor , BTW.

Ding, ding, ding, ding. Follow the money.
    darkvader wrote: »

Except that I don't see anyone suggesting that news be suppressed.

I do see a lot of people pointing out that it's not particularly meaningful, though.
  • Reply 35 of 94
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    paxman wrote: »
    Anybody should be called on their mistakes if they are significant (affects end users), and if they have a history on not correcting their mistakes. But ... Your assertion that iOS 7 is a "steaming pile of garbage", and that people buy iPhones because they are status symbols, is silly and founded only on prejudice. The fact that you have been an apple user since 1982 proves to me that you have become a grumpy curmudgeon. We have to call each other on this ageing tendency. RAGE against it!
    I'm always skeptical when people throw out the "I've been a loyal apple user since the very beginning" card. And also when they throw out hyperbolic statements like "steaming pile of garbage". I'm sorry if that were the case no one would be buying new iPhones or updating their existing phones. The best trolls are the ones that make it look like they're long time fans concerned about Apple's pending DOOM. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 36 of 94
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jinjo235 View Post

Same here. I get the most crashes and restarts when I go to multi-task on the 5S. It happens once or twice a day. Not too big of a deal but a little annoying.

It happens to me about 2 times a week on my 5S , up from about once a month or less on my 5.  Most crashes are in Safari or when starting a new app.  My last crash besides Safari was Waze. 

• Reply 37 of 94
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    wings wrote: »
    We've had 2 gold 5Ss since Sept 27, and no crashes or hiccups at all. And I've only noticed one little quirk that I've not seen before. I'm pretty sure it's in iOS7 and not the 5S, but maybe.

Say I type some text in a message, hit return to give me a new line, and now I want to paste something at that spot. Tap and hold, right? Can't. I have to add at least one space on that line before I get a paste option to pop up.
    I have the same problem. Must be iOS 7 bug.
  • Reply 38 of 94
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BeltsBear View Post

It happens to me about 2 times a week on my 5S , up from about once a month or less on my 5.  Most crashes are in Safari or when starting a new app.  My last crash besides Safari was Waze. 

and almost all of my iOS7 on my 4s crashes are in Safari as well... 

• Reply 39 of 94
    darkvader wrote: »

The reason is to allow the app developers time to get there. Start using it now. Start taking advantage. By 2015, every iOS device sold will be 64-bit, most apps (of value) will be supporting it, and android will still be all over the place.

Same with iOS 7. I think the new design language is to support various display sizes without degredation. Allow it to scale.
    wings wrote: »

I see the same copy/paste troubles on my 5 with iOS 7
  • Reply 40 of 94

Quite embarrassingly for Apple, there is a known and repeatable bug that occurs when you open an iCloud file in Numbers.  If you leave the file open and single click to return to the home screen, you will always get a blue screen and a reboot.

I am unhappy about this 1) because Apple has not publicized it, 2) because it occurs in places completely under their control, and 3) because they don't seem very interested in fixing it.