Apple competitors' iPhone-sized efforts failing as mini Android devices see low demand

Comments

• Reply 41 of 63
    The demand for 5s is been a little bit weak comparing with iPhone 5, it's a demonstration of decline in demand. It's Apple's obligation to anticipate that and release different screen size smartphones, which obviously does nothing to do to kill the 4 inch form, they can live together perfectly fine.
  • Reply 42 of 63

Originally Posted by Mavericks View Post

The demand for 5s is been a little bit weak comparing with iPhone 5

Source?

It’s Apple’s obligation to anticipate that and release different screen size smartphones…

No, not really.

• Reply 43 of 63
    nelsonxnelsonx Posts: 278member

And that proves only one thing. People want bigger screen phones, and Apple is really dumb not making one! Yes, they are selling a lot of iPhones but maybe, just maybe, if they had a 5 inch phone they could sell double, or triple what they are selling now! I know I would buy one.

• Reply 44 of 63
    Source?

No, not really.

http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/BL-DGB-29376 enjoy the reading.
  • Reply 45 of 63
    Look at the main 4 carriers websites. How many (and what percentage of all available android phones does this represent?) android phones are less than 4.3"? Not many.

But that is all about the "choice" android gives you.
  • Reply 46 of 63
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    nelsonx wrote: »
    And that proves only one thing. People want bigger screen phones, and Apple is really dumb not making one! Yes, they are selling a lot of iPhones but maybe, just maybe, if they had a 5 inch phone they could sell double, or triple what they are selling now! I know I would buy one.

Evidence? It could well be that Apple wouldn't sell a single additional phone. If everyone who would actually buy an iPhone already buys one regardless of size, selling a larger phone wouldn't get them additional sales.

Granted, I suspect that they'd sell some more, but I've never seen any evidence that it would be significant.
    mavericks wrote: »

ROTLFMAO. So you think that some speculation from before the launch of the phone is evidence? In reality, the two Apple phones sold 9 M units in one weekend - compared to 5 M for the iPhone 5. No one knows the breakdown, but most estimates are that it was around 6-7 M iPhone 5S to 2-3 M iPhone 5C. So, once again, where is the evidence to back up your claim that the iPhone 5S didn't sell as well as the iPhone 5?
    starbird73 wrote: »
    Look at the main 4 carriers websites. How many (and what percentage of all available android phones does this represent?) android phones are less than 4.3"? Not many.

It would be interesting to see what facts you have to support that claim. The last time I saw a breakdown, Android phones of over 4.5" were less than a third of the total.
  • Reply 47 of 63
    mavericks wrote: »

Limited to China, which is not the entire iPhone market. Still, welcome to the forum.
  • Reply 48 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It's weird their flagship phones are all jumbo sized. Their smaller models are mid-tiered, or cheap junk. It's like they're trying to associate size with premium-ness. Like America's Big Three once did.

I don't think Android OEMs went all-jumbo all-the-time with their flagship models by choice.  Going with large screens is the only way they can accommodate high-clocked, quad-cored designs and still maintain competitive battery life.  The smaller Android phones are gimped because they have to be. 

Even the current iPhone 5/c/s form factor is on the large end of the scale if pocketability and one-handed operation rank high on one's priorities.  That's one reason I went with the iPhone 5s -- it's simply right-sized for my use and I don't think I'm alone. 

If an Android OEM offered up a smaller flagship model that wasn't as compromised as the models currently on the market, I might have at least considered it.  But, I don't think such a device will appear anytime soon.

As Apple has demonstrated with the A7, they can still produce class-leading performance and decent battery life, while packaging it in a smaller and lighter design.  The difference is that Apple gets this performance out of a dual-core CPU running at 1.3 GHz, while competing models have to go with much higher clock speeds and additional cores. 

Apple has the option of ramping up to a larger size and pushing the envelope on any number of parameters, whether it's battery life, benchmark performance, or screen resolution.  Android OEMs do not have the option of trying to match the 5s' performance in a smaller package without compromising something else, like the battery life.

• Reply 49 of 63
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

Does anyone else think this obsession with selling THE MOST phones is bit silly. If a company can make devices, sell them, and stay afloat, isn't that enough?

Blackberry was still selling millions of phones and they got hammered so hard. It seems like, as a society, we can't keep up this outlook on the economy, it isn't sustainable. We can't expect growth to last forever, won't we need to balance out eventually?

It isn't enough. Apple is succeeding though not selling the most because they maintain a very healthy sell through and define an industry dependent on Apple products. Staying afloat is not success. 

• Reply 50 of 63
    Originally Posted by Mavericks View Post

So how’s that evidence, given that it’s

1. China.

2. ONLY China Unicom with a China Mobile deal forthcoming, where there wasn’t one before.

• Reply 51 of 63
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Evidence? It could well be that Apple wouldn't sell a single additional phone. If everyone who would actually buy an iPhone already buys one regardless of size, selling a larger phone wouldn't get them additional sales (comments from trolls like you notwithstanding).

Granted, I suspect that they'd sell some more, but I've never seen any evidence that it would be significant.

ROTLFMAO. So you think that some speculation from before the launch of the phone is evidence? In reality, the two Apple phones sold 9 M units in one weekend - compared to 5 M for the iPhone 5. No one knows the breakdown, but most estimates are that it was around 6-7 M iPhone 5S to 2-3 M iPhone 5C. So, once again, where is the evidence to back up your claim that the iPhone 5S didn't sell as well as the iPhone 5?

It would be interesting to see what facts you have to support that claim. The last time I saw a breakdown, Android phones of over 4.5" were less than a third of the total.

Hey, bud, how have you been?

I said less than 4.3"

I will do the research for you and post later.

• Reply 52 of 63
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    The only tangible advantage Android phones have over Apple, for many people, are those larger screens. If Apple came out with a larger screened phone to complement their 4 inch offerings they'd make a killing...maybe if those small screened Android devices had the same spec as their larger siblings and not a curtailed one, they'd sell more of them. I'm sure there are people who want compact, pocketable smartphones too, but are not idiots and want a good spec with it...but then I suppose those people get an iPhone! So, going in circles here, in short manufactures stop making small screened Android smartphones because nobody wants them, Apple's got that market covered.
  • Reply 53 of 63
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Ok, I will do these carrier by carrier. Got AT&T done.

18 NEW Android Smartphones on their website.

4 have a screen size UNDER 4.3", or 22% (Translation - 78% of their new Android phones have a screen size of at least 4.3")

1 has a screen size EXACTLY 4.3" (HTC One mini - ironically) - Add that and 5 of 18 (28%) are 4.3" or smaller, or 72% GREATER than 4.3"

Since you asked about 4.5" - Exactly 1 (HTC One VX). So 12 of 18 (or 67%) are GREATER than 4.5" Qualifies as most to me.

Off to do Sprint next.

• Reply 54 of 63

Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

?Sprint supports your position much more. 21 Smartphones (New/Android) - 12 are 4.5" or less (all are 4.3 or less, then 4.7" and up)

T-Mobile - 5 of 14 (36%) are 4.3 or smaller. 8/14 (57%) are 4.5 or smaller.

Verizon - 8 of 20 (40%) are 4.3 or smaller. Nothing between 4.3 and 4.7.

So, grand totals:

Total New Android Smartphones on US Big Four = 73

Total 4.3" or under - 29 (40%)

Total 4.5" or under - 33 (45%)

So the total over 4.5" is not 1/3... It is 55% - Or more than half. A full 60% of the phones (most) are larger than 4.3"

Additional Info - # of phones exactly 4.3"

AT&T = 1 (HTC One mini)

Sprint = 1 (Moto Photon Q)

T-Mobile = 1 (Galaxy S II)

Verizon = 4 (RAZRM, Droid mini, Elite, LG Lumina)

Total, 7

So total number of new Android smartphones on the US big four that are under 4.3"? (My original question) = 22 of 73, or 30%. 

You're welcome for having the facts to support my claim provided.

• Reply 55 of 63
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I'm started to suspect AppleInsider is deliberately seeding their forums with an inordinate number of screen-size articles. It's like they're feeding us junk articles full of troll bait.

sells ad space :) 

• Reply 56 of 63
    So how’s that evidence, given that it’s

1. China.
    2. ONLY China Unicom with a China Mobile deal forthcoming, where there wasn’t one before.

1 - **** you
    2 - **** you again
  • Reply 57 of 63
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    starbird73 wrote: »
    ?Sprint supports your position much more. 21 Smartphones (New/Android) - 12 are 4.5" or less (all are 4.3 or less, then 4.7" and up)

T-Mobile - 5 of 14 (36%) are 4.3 or smaller. 8/14 (57%) are 4.5 or smaller.

Verizon - 8 of 20 (40%) are 4.3 or smaller. Nothing between 4.3 and 4.7.

So, grand totals:

Total New Android Smartphones on US Big Four = 73
    Total 4.3" or under - 29 (40%)
    Total 4.5" or under - 33 (45%)

So the total over 4.5" is not 1/3... It is 55% - Or more than half. A full 60% of the phones (most) are larger than 4.3"

Additional Info - # of phones exactly 4.3"
    AT&T = 1 (HTC One mini)
    Sprint = 1 (Moto Photon Q)
    T-Mobile = 1 (Galaxy S II)
    Verizon = 4 (RAZRM, Droid mini, Elite, LG Lumina)
    Total, 7

So total number of new Android smartphones on the US big four that are under 4.3"? (My original question) = 22 of 73, or 30%. 

You're welcome for having the facts to support my claim provided.

The only problem is that those facts don't support anything.

1. It's only a limited selection of carriers.
    2. It's only one country.
    3. It lists the numbers of models on sale - it does not list the number sold of each model. It is possible that more of the cheaper (i.e., smaller) phones are sold even though they only make up 37% of the SKUs.

So, once again, where's the evidence to support your claims? You said that most phones being sold were over 4.5" - yet you haven't provided any evidence of that.

What we do know is that the most popular phones on the market (ilphone 5S and 5C) in the US are 4" phones.
  • Reply 58 of 63
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,596member
    jragosta wrote: »
    You said that most (Android) phones being sold were over 4.5" - yet you haven't provided any evidence of that.

Not really interrupting the discussion between you two but....
    http://www.statista.com/topics/840/smartphones/chart/1396/android-phone-sales-by-screen-size/
  • Reply 59 of 63
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    jragosta wrote: »
    You said that most (Android) phones being sold were over 4.5" - yet you haven't provided any evidence of that.

Not really interrupting the discussion between you two but....
    http://www.statista.com/topics/840/smartphones/chart/1396/android-phone-sales-by-screen-size/

Still, that's a report on a single country, and any 'article' closing with this line gets a thumbs down from me, as they don't seem to understand anything Apple does:

"There is obviously a growing audience for large-screen-smartphones and Apple is taking a considerable risk ignoring this audience."
  • Reply 60 of 63
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,596member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Still, that's a report on a single country, and any 'article' closing with this line gets a thumbs down from me, as they don't seem to understand anything Apple does:

"There is obviously a growing audience for large-screen-smartphones and Apple is taking a considerable risk ignoring this audience."
    What do you think of this comment from PatentlyApple, a long-time hard-nosed pro-Apple blog?

"The mystery behind Apple's unwillingness to provide their fan base with a larger iPhone display option at this point in time is really a head scratcher. I can't figure it out whether there's real logic behind their madness or if it's simply a matter of arrogance and hard headiness.
    ...it's a bit of sting that every other major smartphone OEM will be offering a larger display this year except for the iPhone."

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2013/09/apple-passing-on-a-larger-iphone-display-still-a-head-scratcher.html

If you want an idea how the rest of the world views large screenphones you don't need to go much farther than IDC who found even those super-sized "Phablets" with 5"+ screens are far outselling the entire category of tablets in the Asian market this year. Not one of those "Phablets" was sold by Apple.
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/phablets-now-selling-more-than-tablets-research-says/

NPD DisplaySearch reports that half of all worldwide smartphone shipments thru the first two quarters of this year had display's larger than 4.1". Since none of those were sold by Apple then way more than half of all Android smartphones shipped the first half of this year had screens larger than 4.1"

http://www.displaysearch.com/cps/rde/xchg/displaysearch/hs.xsl/11760.asp

Better?