Unable to catch Apple TV, Google TV said to rebrand under Android soon

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    That's a shame, I like Google services, but not their physical products.
  • Reply 22 of 56
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    Meh. Trying not to feed the trolls.
  • Reply 23 of 56
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    waybacmac wrote: »
    Can you imagine if this were Microsoft? They'd call it something like the Microsoft Windows Television Entertainment Experience Center for Home, Office, and Mobile

That's not at all true.

They'd have at least 3 separate versions:
    Microsoft Windows Television Entertainment Experience Center for Home
    Microsoft Windows Television Entertainment Experience Center for Office
    Microsoft Windows Television Entertainment Experience Center for Mobile

They might have an Enterprise version, too. Oh, and don't forget separate versions for 32 and 64 bit.
    nexusphan wrote: »
    What? Chrome OS is a huge success. It's barely existed for a year and yet has already captured 22% of the education market, and 5% of the entire PC market. I decided to give it a try (didn't really need a real computer anymore with my tablet and phone) and loved it. It's a great experience for my needs and likely the needs of 90% of the people out there.
    http://www.nasdaq.com/article/google-chromebooks-are-deadlier-to-pcs-than-ipads-cm285343

Feel free to provide evidence to back those claims. And "one in five school districts has purchased A chrome book" does not equate to a 22% market share.
  • Reply 25 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Feel free to provide evidence to back those claims. And "one in five school districts has purchased A chrome book" does not equate to a 22% market share.

I  already did with previous link but here is more, below.  I don't care if you like ChromeOS or not, but you can't say "one of [Google's] biggest failure's is Chrome OS". That's all I was contesting. I'm not arguing in favor of it over any other OS.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-07-10/google-chromebook-under-300-defies-pc-market-with-growth.html

http://www.businessinsider.com/22-percent-us-school-districts-use-chromebooks-2013-10

• Reply 26 of 56

They miss the point: people do not buy Android phones, they buy cheap phones. The majority could not care less about the Os. 

• Reply 27 of 56
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    I  already did with previous link but here is more, below.  I don't care if you like ChromeOS or not, but you can't say "one of [Google's] biggest failure's is Chrome OS". That's all I was contesting. I'm not arguing in favor of it over any other OS.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-07-10/google-chromebook-under-300-defies-pc-market-with-growth.html
    http://www.businessinsider.com/22-percent-us-school-districts-use-chromebooks-2013-10

Your problem was claiming a 22% share of the education market when it should have been Chromebooks are now used in 22% of US (public?) school districts. There's quite a difference in the two claims.

As for Chromebooks being a failure, I don't think they are either. With just 27 months since the introduction of Chromebooks it's way too early to say how successful they might or might not be.
  • Reply 28 of 56
    Very cheap lipstick on a pig
  • Reply 29 of 56

Pretty much all you need for a good streaming box is Netflix and Hulu.  Everything else is just icing on the cake, but they couldn't even get that right.

I had a Logitech Revue which I packed up because 2 years after the app store was made available there still wasn't a Hulu app. I bought a WD TV Live unit as a replacement.

• Reply 30 of 56

And this is with Apple TV as still a HOBBY.

Imagine what will happen when Apple kills off cable and satellite!

• Reply 31 of 56
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Connie View Post

I think one of Google's biggest successes up to date is Android, and one of their biggest failure's is Chrome OS (not Chrome browser). So I am sure Android will eventually replace Chrome on laptops as well. 

This is the same for Microsoft Windows RT. Microsoft will eventually focus on Windows Phone 8 on tablets instead of RT. 

All the unsuccessful software without critical mass will disappear. And hopefully for the sake of the whole world, Windows RT will be dead before the first quarter of next year comes to an end.

You assuming and should have done a little research, Chromebooks are one of the few products that is actually gaining market share. For a semi new OS, ChromeOS is very successful and will defiantly not be replaced by Android, if anything there would be a merger of the two. If I was to choose between the two platforms for a laptop there is no question, ChromeOS is the way to go. Especially now that you can easily install Ubuntu and have both of them exists in the same session. CRTL F1 and your in Ubuntu, CTRL F2 your back into ChromeOS.

I'm not really sure about Windows RT, I personally don't get it but Microsoft is spending a whole lot of resources and money to make sure it's here to stay. We will have to wait and see, personally I too think they should dump it, worthless when compared to it's x86 brother. Now if Microsoft was to allow programmers to write for the desktop it might start catching on. The faster ARM becomes there might be a time when most mobile devices including laptops will utilize the architecture. So maybe Microsoft is just getting ready.

• Reply 32 of 56
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

None of it matters until they replace Android with Chrome OS.  Android as 64 bit is ridiculous.  Chrome makes sense.  Bearing something unforseen- as in, Android completely starts over from scratch- Chrome is here to stay, it's Android whose days are numbered.

• Reply 33 of 56
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Careful. You and Gatorguy are treading on dangerous ground here ;-)

Fwiw, I agree. Chrome OS is pretty cool and for people who don't need processing power (programs), it serves quite well. It's no wonder the education market loves it. I may buy one for my daughter for school.

Their not bad, we bought one for our daughter as well because her school uses them. I was actually impressed with the amount tools available educators for designing learning sites, tests and homework assignments. The platform is also locked so the children are unable to install their own software and once their on the schools WIFI they are limited to only authorize content. My daughter has the 3G version of the Samsung ARM based Chromebook which was a big no, no at her school, just the WIFI version is allowed for obvious reasons. My husband and I were duped by my daughter, "yeah this is the model we are supposed to have mommy." As a geek of course you want the 3G model, read the children's school letters Relic.

I later purchased a ChromeBox for my bedroom's TV, neat system for that purpose.

• Reply 34 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by aussiepaul View Post

You can't polish a turd...

Yes, you can polish a turd. It has been done.

• Reply 35 of 56

I read an article a couple of months ago about the Roku outselling the Apple TV in the US.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2423089,00.asp

Realizing that this had to be impossible, I was hoping for a 100,000 word article from DED refuting this claim but one was never forthcoming.

• Reply 36 of 56
    What? Chrome OS is a huge success. It's barely existed for a year and yet has already captured 22% of the education market, and 5% of the entire PC market. I decided to give it a try (didn't really need a real computer anymore with my tablet and phone) and loved it. It's a great experience for my needs and likely the needs of 90% of the people out there.
    http://www.nasdaq.com/article/google-chromebooks-are-deadlier-to-pcs-than-ipads-cm285343

Same here. Getting one for my daughter for Christmas. My older daughter had a midrange toshiba Win 7 laptop. Heavy and not much in the way if battery life. She hated it (at age 9 could see its shortcomings). Saved all her money and bought herself a MacBook Air. Now my younger daughter (who weighs all of 59 pounds) uses the win 7 brick. Like 20% of her weight. She just wants something for animal jam and club penguin, and uses her iPad/iPod touch for everything else. Chromebook is the right device for her at the moment (she wants an 11" MacBook Air). When she is older and saves like her older sister? She can get her MacBook. But for now she will get what suits her wants/needs the best
  • Reply 37 of 56
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    And yes, I previously posted to this thread and now my original post has disappeared...again. My post above is a repost.

My post was deleted too... However, I suspect it to be something else going on than some rogue mod...
  • Reply 38 of 56
    malta wrote: »

Not the most gross episode of MythBusters. I think the one with the earwax candle is the most nasty episode.
  • Reply 39 of 56
    allenbf wrote: »
    Sounds more like consolidation to me. And the reason Google TV didn't succeed has nothing to do with its service or features, it failed because of cable companies and content creators blocking or crippling most of its features. I hope Google, Apple and any others are successful - it will take an army to break the stranglehold that the cable companies have.

Which translated to Google's poor planking and poor execution which means it was all Google's fault.

Apple and Roku seem to be doing pretty well with their media extenders so you really can't claim it's not Goohle's fault.
  • Reply 40 of 56
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

Same here. Getting one for my daughter for Christmas. My older daughter had a midrange toshiba Win 7 laptop. Heavy and not much in the way if battery life. She hated it (at age 9 could see its shortcomings). Saved all her money and bought herself a MacBook Air. Now my younger daughter (who weighs all of 59 pounds) uses the win 7 brick. Like 20% of her weight. She just wants something for animal jam and club penguin, and uses her iPad/iPod touch for everything else. Chromebook is the right device for her at the moment (she wants an 11" MacBook Air). When she is older and saves like her older sister? She can get her MacBook. But for now she will get what suits her wants/needs the best

Why buy a Chromebook when you can get a used 11" Air on Craigslist for just a little more?  Do I have to remind you that you will be supporting a despicable company (Samsung)?

Forget the fact you're sending your money to crooks-  Isn't iCloud/shared contacts/Time Machine (if you have a time capsule)/Find my Mac/etc/Calendar/iMessage/Facetime/Safari Links/Mail not worth it?